Ballot Box Chaos

T

TFinalshot

US Warned of Ballot Box Chaos as Elections Near
By Suzanne Goldenberg
The Guardian UK

Friday 27 October 2006

Report says 10 states not ready for electronic vote. Scientist hacks into new polling machine on TV.

Six years after the emergence of the now infamous "hanging chad" in the 2000 presidential elections, monitoring groups warn that technological glitches and hackers could throw next month's mid-term elections into chaos.

With polling day less than two weeks away, a report this week by electionline.org, a non-partisan organisation, anticipates problems at the ballot box in as many as 10 states.

"Machine failures, database delays and foul-ups, inconsistent procedures, new rules and new equipment have some predicting chaos at the polls at worst, and widespread polling place snafus at best," the report says.

The mid-term elections will be the first national test of new voting procedures introduced in the aftermath of the 2000 election debacle in Florida, when it took a month of court challenges and recounts of punch-card ballots before George W Bush was declared to have won the state, and became president.

In the wake of that fiasco, Congress allotted $3.8bn (?2bn) to the states to modernise voting lists and replace the old-style punch-card systems with electronic voting machines by early 2006.

Election officials in more than 30 states opted for touch-screen voting machines that use a series of prompts to guide voters through the ballot. But the new machines have merely reawakened the old anxieties about miscounted votes and deliberate fraud.

In many states, voters will be casting their votes electronically for the first time. The officials at the polling stations may be equally inexperienced, and because such workers are typically elderly and retired, critics say they may be particularly poorly equipped to deal with any technological problems.

Those concerns crystallised last month, when a Princeton professor of computer science, Edward Felton, and two colleagues managed to hack into a new electronic voting machine without detection and install a virus that could alter vote counts - and go on to infect a wider network of machines.

The exercise, which Mr Felton repeated on television, took about a minute to complete. The manufacturers of the voting machine said Mr Felton had ignored newer software and security measures that safeguard against hacking.

However, vote monitoring organisations and computer scientists have grown increasingly wary about the new voting machines, especially those that do not leave a paper trail in case it is needed for future verification.

The rollout of the new systems has been far from smooth. In Maryland, earlier this autumn, voting was delayed for hours across an entire county because election officials forgot to bring in the electronic cards that activate the touch-screen machines.

During the 2004 elections in North Carolina, polling officials failed to notice the constant flashing of a warning light on the voting machine indicating that its memory was full. More than 4,400 votes were lost as the result of their inattention. In that same election year, a software error in Texas polling stations led to a vote overcount, with 100,000 more votes registered than had been cast.

The Electionline study predicts 10 states could face similar fiascos this time around because of computer security, inexperienced or elderly poll workers, and a network of new regulations meant to prevent illegal immigrants from voting.

Over the period of the past six years, the number of states requiring voters to show identification before they are given a ballot has risen from just 11 states to 24 states this year.

The study said it anticipated problems in Arizona, Colorado, Connecticut, Florida, Indiana, Maryland, New York, Ohio, Pennsylvania and Washington state.

There is a chance that the republicans will hold on to all the power come November 7. I am not so much concerned with who's in power so long as the people of this country are fairly represented and by the people who they elect.

I'm always surprised when people think that something as important as the security of our voting system is a partisan issue. It just is not, unless youre part of the problem. I would much rather have confidence in the system and lose by a country mile than go through the turmoil that we did following the 2000 federal election for president.

I dont think this issue can be politicized, either youre an American who values a secure voting system and a legitimate democracy, or youre un American. Said another way, either you are with us on fixing this problem and building a secure voting system, or your against us and part of the axis of evil that is trying to bring down the American democracy, aka the enemy.

I take voting very seriously. My grandparents made sure all of us grandkids understood the process and stressed the importance of the election process and being a part of it. I can just HEAR my grandpa raising a ruckus, and you don't even want to KNOW the creative swear words that would've streamed from his mouth, had his vote been one of 4,400 lost. That would really upset me as well.

It is a serious issue and I heard that Utah could have problems w/its new electronic voting process as well. I sure hope not.

"The exercise, which Mr Felton repeated on television, took about a minute to complete. The manufacturers of the voting machine said Mr Felton had ignored newer software and security measures that safeguard against hacking."

WhoopDeeeFrickenDoooooo. So he hacked an outdated machine. Do it with a updated one then get back to us.

-DallanC

How is it that you will trust that the person on the other end of a computer or phone line will take your information to purchase whatever, using a credit card. Your identity could be stolen and your bank accounts and credit accounts could be wiped out. You will trust them, but your worried that your vote won't count?

Do you really believe everything that you read?

I believe that all the security that is available will be put in place to protect your vote. When you are talking about the millions upon millions of votes that will be tallied on election day, I believe that the accuracy of our system is as good or better than any in the world.

Having said that, we live in an imperfect world, ran by imperfect people.

So IDbuck, did you say anything, or have a point or are you just a master of the obvious?

If we cant insure our votes count, mission control, we have a problem. . . End of story.

TF,
Nice response! Obviously my point went right past you. You want perfection, it ain't happening in this life.

Wow, the voting hasn't even begun and the demokRATS are already whining and looking for someone to blame.

"RKBA....ALL THINGS CONSIDERED"

I dont have to worry about them changing my vote because I voteing for the Neo-Cons.

Kyle
"If it moves shoot it again"

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-06 AT 07:17PM (MST)[p]With only a 35-60% voter turnout in a normal election, how many people really care? I wonder who would win if all qualified people registered and voted? And then counted correctly of course. I doubt if we'll ever know.

Eel

LAST EDITED ON Oct-27-06 AT 07:19PM (MST)[p]Hey eelgrass, you spelled doubt wrong.....dammit, that was fast

JB

Isn't funny how, on one hand, the Libs are all for letting illegals vote, but on the other hand, they are convinced the elections are a rigged?

HELLO LIBS! Letting illegls vote makes the whole election a fraud!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom