Barbary in Unit 28 McGregor Range

bowhuntrJLG

I know most are pretty hesitant about sharing info on Barbary. Having hunted them a couple years now in other areas I fully understand and am just as reluctant to share intel that I have worked my butt off to gain.
Its a shot in the dark, but I am hoping this might be a bit different for the McGregor Range sheep hunt due to the roughly 1% draw odds and limited access.

It doesn't hurt to ask...
Has anyone else drawn this tag before?
How was your experience?
Can anyone tell give me an idea of what to expect?

Its a two day hunt. The one thread I found on MM about the hunt said it is short and tough.

Thanks guys.

Limited sheep and poor success for this very short hunt.

The few sheep that are killed are mostly by the Military guys that know where the few sheep are. We drew the hunt and we will never apply for it again due to limited sheep and all the hoops you have to go through to get access to scout and even when you are hunting.

That being said, you drew the tag so make the most of it. Scout hard and hunt the very tops and the long rim. If you don't walk 2 to 6 miles away from the road to rim and/or climb to very top of the peaks, you will likely not see a single sheep. That's where we saw our sheep.

The above is my opinion, so take it for what it's worth.

Thank you TRC.

I just saw the satisfaction rate was dismal for last years hunt (less than 2). I have been putting in for this hunt as first choice for years under the impression that with such low draw odds and limited pressure it must be a great place to hunt. Why else would draw odds be around 1%...right?

I still plan on making the most of it, but now not nearly as confident as I once was.

Yea, to be straight up honest I thought the hunt SUCKED for the following reasons:
1. They make it too difficult to scout and hunt.
****You have to go to ElPaso Tx to get an access pass
****You then have to call to see if you can get on the base to scout. If you live far away and come down to scout you may not be ablet to get on the base (This happened to us twice).
****Then you only have 2.5 to 3 days to hunt if the range is open (Like Oryx). Hard to find and kill a big ram in that limited time frame, but people do stumble on them from time to time. Most the larger Rams are killed by military guys who work on the base and have access to the area on an almost daily basis.

You would have much better luck and longer hunting time by drawing one of the general units with 500 tags.

Good luck though, be the exeption and kill you a big ram!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom