Barbary sheep tag

COtransplant

Drew BBY-1-102 for an audad! I'm excited since I've never hunted New Mexico and never hunted audad!
Units 32, 34, 36, and 37 are included. I plan to bring a camper and hunt the duration. Bringing some serious hiking boots and a back pack. I will only get 1 scouting trip of 2 days duration...probably mid summer.
Any body willing to pm me any ideas? What's realistic trophy expectation? Unit covers a lot of area...any places to avoid? Or ranges to be sure to hit? Good places to glass a lot of country? Is the national forest in these units likely to hold sheep or are they more likely to be in the BLM stuff?
All serious reply?s are appreciated
All funny reply?s doubly so!
Thanks guys

LAST EDITED ON Apr-22-19 AT 09:51PM (MST)[p]It isn't as easy of a hunt as you may think. I ended up with tag soup on this hunt about 4 years ago. I did see a couple really nice rams but they were just across the boarder on private property. In NM it is your responsibly to know where private property is even if it isn't fenced, posted or cultivated.

If you are willing to shoot a small ram or ewe, you will fill your tag with a little work. The big rams are very hard to find. As a general rule of thumb, the greatest concentration of Barbary sheep will be found East of the National forest boundary. Just like elk hunting, being willing to hike long distances from motorized access will increase your odds finding Barbary sheep.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-19 AT 10:58AM (MST)[p]Good advice above, you have to hunt hard to get a quality ram but they are there. Just killing a sheep isn't that hard but can be depending on which hunt you drew. Hiking, glassing and being able to shoot some distance is what Barbary sheep hunting is all about. If you can do those better than the next guy you will be in good shape.

My advice is skip the summer scouting, you will think you have gone to hell and wont see much for sheep. Take off time right before the hunt or more time during the hunt. Might as well scout with your rifle in your hand. 2 week hunt is plenty of time to scout and hunt. good Luck

Some good info! I'm perfectly willing to eat tag soup...I just love a good hunt. Not supposed to be easy or guaranteed!
As far as that 300? bull...I'll get back to ya! I'm out here where it's flat, so real elk country is about a 2 hour drive! I could trade some really good deer info tho!

COtransplant

I took my bby in the OTC area of unit 34 a couple years ago. I can PM you the area, but I wouldn't go there with the tag you have... You have better options.

I am in the extreme minority in that I took mine at 50 yards. Most available shots are going to be significantly longer. At least 300 yards. Good glass, boots and a good pack are your essentials.

You have a decent tag, and hopefully guys who've held that tag can give you a good point in the right direction.

I will be in 34 for several days this summer scouting for an elk hunt. I will be sure to let you know if I see anything that might be helpful.

Any other MM guys out there willing to throw advice? I'm leaving Colorado December 3 to give me several days to scout prior to the opener.
Planning to camp on BLM. Anybody be willing to share a known location so I don't have to drag my camper around looking for a spot?

Good luck! I have the unit 30 tag. Heading down today and should have a couple days to scout prior.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom