Barbary Sheep unit 29 & 30

bassinhunter

Looking forward to my Barbary sheep hunt this year in units 29 and 30. I drew last year and ate tag soup. Also realized I'm not as tough as I thought I was. Man that country is unforgiving. I described it as a cross between hell and scenes from the movie cliff hanger with Sylvester stallone. I'd never hunted that part of the state and man did it humble a guy. Anyway with this being only my second year I'm just looking for some tips. I've heard so many different things about Barbary and it's tough to find good information online. I've heard from some folks that they are only active early morning and late evening then I hear from someone else they roam all day. I'd also like to know how to distinguish a deer track from a Barbary track. I've got the scat down and saw plenty of it last year but no sheep. Also what do they do in the wind? I'm assuming they hunker on the non windy canyon sides but would like to hear from some people that know what they are talking about. We had some bad wind last year. Anyway if someone with Barbary experience would like to give me some pointers I'm all ears. Thank you!

I will be following this closely. I drew the same tag, and this is my first time chasing these animals. I have hunted both units quite a bit for deer, yet have never even seen a sheep!! Im already dreading the brutal hikes in those rocks, but its to be expected!! Either way...I will give it hell if nothing else!!! There are 8 other guys in my party with tags....but they are all mostly road hunters so its down to a couple of us to et the job done!!!

Barbary tracks are more round like domestic sheep. The wind don't bother them. I've noticed that they are late riser in the morning. We went scouting Sunday walked about 2 miles in sat down for one hour glassed up 3 small rams and on the way back rite where we walked was a big ram just walking rite at us.so we figured he was laying in the canyon. I've heard by the Nm - tx state line there's some big ones just south of the broke offs.

took me five years of hard work, lots of gas money and plenty of glassing to finally figure out what I was doing and find a couple of honey holes. Now Im surprised if I go out and dont see any sheep. Put in the time and research and you will find some. you dont necessarily have to be the one on here asking where to go, there are plenty of people that give up the info on the internet. Just do the research. Sheep hunting is a magical thing. I am an avid mule deer and elk hunter but my sheep hunting spots are one of my most valued areas. I will not give them to just anyone. Good luck! Hope you kill a big Ram!

P.S. My experiences with sheep are... YES the wind does affect them, I dont hunt anywhere but bottom of draws, down in deep canyons, and thick choya patches when the wind is howling. Sheep are really front heavy, and their front feet are bigger than their back feet. Their front feet are real blocky, other than that their tracks are not too different but you can tell the difference if you know what you are lookin at. Ive had to stay up with sheep that were walking at a pretty fast pace all day, and I have had some that bedded and stayed pretty localized all day. I think that is just depending on the sheep. I do know they like the sun. I dont know how many times I have seen sheep on the sunny side of canyons, sunning like a coyote all morning. When you think you have glassed enough, glass for another hour. As mobile as these things are, they could be out of sight one minute and be in plain sight the next. Also, the area you are talkin about is huge country, when glassing a canyon you think a sheep would stick out like a sore thumb if it was across from you. In reality, that side of the mountain is 800 yards away. Pick out bushes like a yucca and tell yourself that a sheep might only be the width of two or three of those and not as tall. just so your eye knows what size of objects its lookin for.

Here are my 2 cents on this subject....suggestions/recommendations:

1. Spotting scopes are your best friend. Use them, use them, and use them. As stated above, when you are done using them, use them again. Barbs can be pretty hard to see when sitting down. When spotting, look for a "V"...their horns. You will see lots of cactus with a V.....but the V is a dead giveaway to zoom in and verify. (This is a given but should be stated anyway, binoculars are a must - as well as a rangefinder.)

2. Barbs can be anywhere from rolling hills to the nasty stuff. They are not necessarily tied to water....it can help, but it is not required.

3. For whatever reason, I tend to see more barbs in cholla areas. With that said, whenever I see barbs, I also see deer. Barbs love the cholla fruit. You find fruit....you will probably see barbs.

4. Be in great shape and have the mind set that you are going to be hiking. Rocky terrain (even in the rolling hills) seems to always be present. I like to have a full pack with hiking sticks for stability and packing out heavy loads (GPS and headlamps are also requirements).

5. Barbs roam. I have seen large groups in an area, and then, the next day, they are gone. Rarely, do they hang out in the same area for a period of time. This is not to say this doesn't happen, but in my experience, this is not the norm.

6. Fences do not limit these animals. I have seen them jump fences.

7. Wind does not bother them much. In fact, I have killed them (or seen them killed) on snowy, windy, sunny, and calm days.

8. For a first time barb hunter, do not be too picky on what you shoot - unless you have a high expectation in mind as well as lots of time. It took me years to figure them out....now, I usually see sheep when ever I hunt the draw units....not always but usually.

9. Field judging barbs are hard. When looking for a mature ram, try to get a side view if possible. If not, look at the gap between the horns. If there is a gap, it is probably a smaller one. If there is no gap, it is more than likely a shooter. You may also look at the chaps; however, this does not always work either ( I shot a 23" ram last year that I thought would have gone 25 or so).

10. Have good maps which show ownership. Lots of private land with locked fences...especially with land locked public acreage.

11. As stated above, most people will not even talk of sheep honey holes....this is probably one of the most holiest subjects with people who are fond of hunting sheep.

Good luck and have fun hunting them. I did not draw this year and have been relegated to the OTC areas.....

JBone

Some awesome info here guys, I for one really appreciate it!! Im excited to get out there and do my best to get it done!!! I will have 4 full days of hunting starting on the first.......and plan on hiking/glassing every minute of daylight!!! Thanks again friends!!!

Great info posted so far, that is better than a honey hole.

Those posts tell you exactly what you are getting in to. It took us years to figure them out, and I still am not sure that I will see sheep every day we go out.

Thanks for all the great information. This is just what I was after. Wasn't trying to get anyone's honey hole. I know how sacred those can be with any species. Just needed some pointers to hopefully cut down the learning curve a little. I hunted these critters harder than I've ever had to hunt anything last year and still ate tag soup. Gonna get taking the first week of feb off and giving it hell again. Guess it will be all that sweeter when I finally put the tag on one. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share what they know. I do appreciate it. Hope everyone is safe out there that place can be dangerous!!

Rob

BassinHunter,

Ahh sheep hunting...one of my ultimate favorites.

Some info from my perspective. I've hunted them for about 5-7 yrs now and am finally figuring out how and where to locate them with semi-consistent success.

Here are some of the things I've noticed:

1. Wind in those units effects them hands down, regardless of what else has been said. When it's howling 30-50, you won't find them anywhere but in a steep nasty canyon, cave or the lee side of the hill. Period. I've fought that notion multiple times. You just end up wind burnt and frustrated. If it's windy, find a steep area out of the wind and take a look. Don't waste your time with windy slopes. Now...the only caveat...windy means 30+. Below that, they don't care. It was mentioned before but when its crazy windy, I usually only find them in the extreme bottoms of steep canyons. Have seen this several times now.

2. If you find some, keep eyes on them at all times. Somehow, someway, this has to be done, especially if you glass them from afar. It has cost me two rams over 30" and a few other opportunities at some good ones. If they bed, they won't stay long. Keep eyes on them. Chances are they've seen you and the second you're out of sight, they'll move and will be too. There isn't a plan good enough to beat these animals unless you have constant eyes. You will get lucky from time to time of course, but more often than not they'll lose ya if you take your eyes down. A few others I've hunted with on this site can vouch for that.

Mornings...we've sure seem them silhouette themselves on sunny rocks at the tops of ridges a bunch. Again no science but it's happened multiple times.

3. They can, do and will use caves. It surprised me too, but it happens and accounts for lots of the mysterious disappearances these animals make. Check out a cave sometime and you'll be surprised how many blocky tracks are in there. Also, they can jump 4-6 ft straight up from a standstill. It's documented and I've seen it. A buddy of ours had vid of one jumping a 4 foot fence from a standstill with no effort. They aren't an ibex...but could compete in some areas I think.

4. I agree the side view and "V" are the best ways to tell how mature a ram is. If you have time to wait and look, it'll give you a good idea. Also, I've only see maybe 3 rams that were legitimately over 30" and they all curled way down and inward towards their high shoulder. No science to this, but if you start to see that awesome down/inward curl...chances are he's a good one.

5. Sheep have a very blocky front track as someone else mentioned. Most Rams I've seen are significantly bigger than the desert deer in the area, with their back feet being pretty comparable. Just takes a lot of practice looking at them. I had to physically see sheep a few times and then spend time studying their tracks before I could distinguish. I actually have a harder time with the scat, especially in areas where deer and sheep are munching the same stuff.

6. Some folks may not like this, but if you find and develop a sheep spot...keep it sacred. I will not share sheep spots except with my very close friends who have helped find them. Elk, deer, Oryx, pigs, are a little different. Sheep...hush hush. There aren't many, and trust me, if you divulge, it'll get out. When you find a spot, "keep it secret, keep it safe"...ha ha. And when you post a pic, crop out the background if possible. Believe me, sheep nuts like me will spend 40 hours on google earth trying to find that exact peak in your pic to add to our list of spots...ha ha. Ohh...and save the ewes!! They aren't enough sheep as it is (just a personal preference).

7. Make sure you have good boot leather, gloves that can handle jagged rock and you don't mind scratching your rifle. It's going to happen. Glass Glass Glass and take the spotting scope. They're worth their weight in gold on a sheep trip.

And finally, in my experience (and this seems to differ from others) steeper is better. If they aren't in a jagged nasty area, they are usually less than a 5 minute run from one. I have yet to find those sweet rolling hill barbs! They usually have us contemplating life on the edge of a bluff, cliff or endless chasm. And of course...they always seem to be across one of these wonderful features when you finally squeeze off a round.

Just my long winded $.02. In any case, good luck and hope you find one.

Well....the time has come!!! Good luck to everybody with tags and Im lookin forward to some LDP's!! Hunt hard and BE SAFE!!!!

Great info guys. I just found out I drew these same 2 units along with the wife! Sounds like we really have our work cut out for us. I appreciate all the insight everyone has given to the OP and plan on taking it to heart when scouting this spring/summer and next year when I get to hunt them.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom