Barbary Sheep

N

nmhunter1975

I am looking to try to head out this coming season but have no idea where to start. Never even seen one but I think they are cool looking aniamls and would love to harvest one. My question to you folks is where should I start my quest to find these animals? I was thinking about getting a tag for Unit 30 but thats only a month hunt and Feb would be a busy time for me. My second would be the Feb 1st to March 15th for a good number of units. Any of you guys have any info on these things?

From what info I have gathered most sheep outside of unit 30 are on private property. Of course there are exceptions but it is pretty hard to get anyone to tell you about them. In unit 30 there is a lot of public land with sheep but they aren't easy to find. I don't know the unit wery well but there are sheep scattered all along the rim and the Brokofe (I am sure I misspelled that) Mnts.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-07 AT 06:47PM (MST)[p]I believe the over-the-counter tag is good for any unit for the dates that it's open, so if you hunt Unit 30 during February and are unsuccessful, it doesn't prevent you from hunting Unit 32, for example, in February or March, or Unit 18 year-round. My experience is that Unit 30 is the most densely populated, but I've seen barbarys or have seen tracks and poop in several other units as well.

I'll pm you some additional info when I get some time.

I too will be doing a Barbary sheep hunt this year, but I'll be chasing them with my bow. i've never hunted them before and what I hear im in for a hard hunt, but hopefully things will work out! good luck to those who go!

One suggestion would be to ask anyone you know that hunted deer (and not sheep) in those SE NM hunt units. They can tell you where they were then, but may not be during the hunt.
When the shooting starts, they are very mobile. Our experience is, they head for less hunted areas, which means usually, private land.
My hunt buddy and I have been within bow range, but not often.
Once we spotted and snuck in on a group, and another time one came around a large bush right in front of us, I don't know who was more surprised, him or us. We couldn't move with it staring at us. NO SHOT WAS FIRED. It was well within bow range, but not a typical or workable situation.
Good luck, see you in the hills.

Yeah killed a bull on the second day of the hunt. Nothing big he was just leagal. It was the only bull we seen. So it was a good thing I pulled the triger. My dad is taking a friend this weekend for a cow hunt down there. Was looking at the 08 proc and have alway wanted to hunt Barbary sheep so I thought I might try this year. Seen the buck you killed this year. Very nice buck for unit 16. We went 4 for 4 this year on our deer tags.

See if you can find the New Mexico Wildlife News publication from a year ago...unfortunately the NMG&F published the exact locations to hunt them down in Unit 30. I think it came out in the fall or summer of 2006.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom