Barbary sheep!

muzzletim

Spent Friday and Saturday searching for a. Barbary sheep west and south of Roswell. Seen a bunch of deer but no sheep! I walked and glassed walked and glassed more. The country seemed to be rolling hills not what I would have guessed would be Barbary sheep country, NMGF said there were several bunches in the area. Thinking of going more around Hondo next week. Still had a great time walking and looking over the countryside! The good thing about not getting one is that I can keep hunting!

Hey Tim,
That's exactly how most of my sheep hunting days have been down there. Those suckers can be tough to find.

Keep at it and good luck!

Travis

We went 2-ewe's on the first day and then nothing the ollowing ays of hard hunting! It was awsome country and I wish I could get back down there. I will plan a whole week if Iget another tag. We hunted 30and just got back.

Same case with my hunting, my 10 days just went with searching but nothing found, but finally I hunted. That was a great experience. Specially the place is too good for hunting. [a href="http://www.logpac.com"]www.logpac.com[/a]

LAST EDITED ON Feb-19-13 AT 06:59PM (MST)[p]Sounds like you were doing the right things in the right areas--as a rule barbarys are hit or miss. I saw 28 ewes my first day and helped two buddies pack out their first ever barbs (two of those 28). Went back the next day and saw a big fat zero. Tried again last Saturday and saw 3 rams and 7 ewes, but nothing I was tempted to shoot at. I'll probably give it another try this Fri/Sat, but I'm going in expecting not to see any more until after my tag expires.

It still beats working...

Well I finally walked over a ridge and 7 ewes jumped up and looked at me! There are Barbary sheep!
4 mature and 3 young ones. They were about 100 yards away, they were on the other side of a fence which happened to be private property! Dang! Beautiful animals!

Yahoo finally ran into a flock of sheep! Seven ewes, 3 young ones and 4 mature ones! Was. Walking a ridge line and popped over the top and they jumped up on the other side of the fence at 100 yards. They stood and watched me for5 minutes. Pretty animals. They were on private land so had. To let them go!

LAST EDITED ON Feb-24-13 AT 09:54AM (MST)[p]On Friday, I hiked back to where I saw the 10, hoping the crows would lead me to the one that my buddy wounded. All I saw were deer, and some nice ones at that (I wonder where those boys were hanging out when I was deer hunting in there last Oct and seeing a bunch of barbs but no shootable bucks). Never found the wounded ram.

The next day (yesterday) I hiked in to where I saw zero two weeks ago and immediately glassed up three ewes on the opposite slope, bedded in the shade of some junipers. Started hiking up my slope to try to get above them when I glassed about a mile further up the canyon and saw my first big rams of the season, three in all. I dropped off my side of the ridge to keep it between me and them and immediately saw another group of five on the same ridge as me that had a 20-21" ram with them. I had him at 360 yards for 45 minutes, and I was tempted because it was my last day to hunt and he would have been relatively easy to pack out. But in the end, visions of those big rams on the hill behind me were too much, and I passed on the shot.

I snuck back over to the other side of the ridge to see if I could spot the big rams again, and the three were now six, every one at least as big as my biggest (25") and a couple that looked like they were pushing 30". The problem for me was that it looked like the closest I could get on my ridge would still be at least 800 yards (twice my shooting ability). The other problem was the wind was blowing from me to them, and I knew it was only a matter of time before they would bust me.

So I decided to hike back down and around to get down wind of them. That's a lot of hiking for a 50-year old fat man. I was coming up inside of 400 yards of where I last saw them when I jumped four @#$#ing does and fawns, and sure enough they stampeded right through where the rams had been. I couldn't see through the junipers and yuccas, but what initially sounded like four deer thumping increased to a dozen or more animals running. What's more, it sounded like they all ran straight toward the private land, and a few minutes later three shots rang out from the first canyon on that side of the line.

That's the second time in my barbary hunting life I was closing in on some super nice rams only to have it all blow up from spooking deer directly into them.

But all is not lost--I still have the month of March where my tag is valid for any of the over-the-counter units.

Hunting in New Mexico is good.

Sound like a good day barbary hunting even though you didnt score Mozey.
Wife still has a tag, but, have not got out again. With wind today, maybe just as well.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom