Barnes 290TMZ. Need some input

Cahunter805

Long Time Member
Hey guys. I am shooting a TC Omega with 100gr BH209 and the barnes 290TMZ. It is shooting pretty well but while loading the sabot and bullet is very tight. I have been shooting other bullets before but since CA and lead free had to change. Im thinking of trying some different sabots like the harvesters. Any input appreciated.

Try the Barnes 290 TEZ...works great in tight barrels. I use your load in my T/C pro hunter and the combo works like a champ

I agree with using the barnes TEZ. very easy to load in tight barrels. I used the 250 grain TEZ and 125 grains of BH209 on my elk hunt last year on my shot was 300 yards and and the bullet expanded perfectly into six petals and the elk took two steps and tipped over. Awesome bullet in my opinion

>I agree with using the barnes
>TEZ. very easy to load
>in tight barrels. I used
>the 250 grain TEZ and
>125 grains of BH209 on
>my elk hunt last year
>on my shot was 300
>yards and and the bullet
>expanded perfectly into six petals
>and the elk took two
>steps and tipped over. Awesome
>bullet in my opinion

What gun do you shoot?

So I contacted Harvester and ordered the sabots they recommended. I will shoot them this weekend and see how they do. My conversation with the guy from harvester was interesting to say the least. He actually emailed me an email a customer had recieved from barnes stating to purchase the harvester sabots due to the barnes sabots are too tight in most barrels. I will let you guys know how well they group now.

I didnt see the improvement with the harvester crushed rib yellow sabots with your bullet.

Ended up with the TEZ and couldn't be happier.

I seriously doubt that you will notice much difference in the performance or actual ballistics at Muzzleloader distances.

Shoot the one you can load with out breaking rods and gives you good accuracy.

110gr BH209, 290 Barnes TEZ, TC omega, Rem STS primers= good stuff.

Bill in MI

CA - I'm curious what you found out on the Barnes as I'm interested in trying them but not sure which one will work best in my Knight. Is the difference in the TMZ and the T EZ that the T EZ is a touch smaller and is flat tailed vs the TMZ being larger than T EZ and is boat tailed? It sounded like someone was suggesting using the TMZ with the Harvester crushed rib sabot to make it so you could use the bullet you wanted and make it load easier. I'm wanting to start trying some things and wanted to have some options with me to experiment a bit. Thanks for any input!

LAST EDITED ON May-30-11 AT 02:18PM (MST)[p]I also shoot the 290 gr Barnes EZ. I also use 100 gr of BH209. My rifle is a T/C Encore and this load shoots very good in my rifle. I previously shot the TMZ but it was so hard to load that I was having to carry a different type bullet (usually a powerbelt) in case I needed a quick followup shot. I resisted the change at first because I was also partial to the boattail bullet, but the 290 TEZ shoots great. I can usually shot a 1.5'' group at 100yds with it.

Elkman- Im my rifle I didn't notice much change in accuracy with the harvester sabots. No biggie as it shoots under 1" at 100 all day. It is easier to load now though. A buddy gave me a 290EZ the other day. I measured them out and found that my 290TMZ with a harvester sabot is within .005 of the 290EZ. If you don't want to mess with getting sabots Im sure the 290EZ will be fine. You can also purchase just the 290 TMZ bullet from barnes with no sabots and then purchase the harvester sabots. This is what I will do in the future. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom