Barnes Bullet

E

elk_horn

Barnes Bullet TSX Picture Performance

49d6524b3f2b86bf.jpg

I relay like the way the TSX preforms in my wifes 243, I just wish I could get them to group as well in my 270.

I Like the Nosler reloading manual in the background LOL.

400bull

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-09 AT 11:00PM (MST)[p]Found under the hide on my elk last year. Weighed 180 going in and still weighs 180. By the way, the last thing this bullet hit besides the hide was the right front shoulder bone and left about a two inch section of bone ground up like sand. I think the Barnes TSX bullets work pertty good.

49d6a24f49e66c87.jpg

49d6a2b44c876f29.jpg

264X300

Guys, I've never used them or the Tipped version, but may. Can you explain the tenancies they have in opening up on thin skin game like deer and lopes? Are they better at high velocities or low? How about 500 yds where the velocity may be down to 2200 FPS? I'm thinking .277's and .284's, 140gr's or bigger.

Also what is the BC in these bullets compared to SST's or Accubonds? I understand the base metal being lighter, they must be longer to be the same weight per caliber. So, do these longer bullets have the higher BC's? You'd think so...

Thanks! Joey

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-09 AT 10:57PM (MST)[p]Sage

Not sure of the BC, but my rifle shoots tighter groups the faster I make them. The one shown was non-tipped (just a TSX) and I have heard a few say they don't open as well on longer shots. The TTSX, or tipped bullets are suppose to fix that issue IF it exists.

Since last years hunt, I have tried the tipped bullets with a different powder (by necessity) and they shoot tigher groups at 100 yds. Not sure where the flyer came from, but the other set is a four shot group at 100 yds with 71.5gr RL-19 out of a 300 WM. The bottom hole is actually two bullets.

49d6e7cd5a7fd3ce.jpg

I think I will keep this load for a while.
264X300

264X300,

Thanks! Fine looking group you have there. The reason i asked is i've been looking at most of the factory available loads for my pet and other than the leading Remington accutip(believed to be Hornady SST's), next is the accubond, then further down in the mix is the TTSX product, that is, as far as down range energy at a given distance is concerned.

I do like the idea of a non lead bullet and longer the better is the tune of the times. Add that to "reliable" expansion, accuracy, and assured penetration and seems Barns has come up with a darn good product. Not sure though, why they don't carry their energy as well as the others given the known, so far, factors.

Your comment about the hotter you load them, the better they shoot also is what i have found in my limited loading thru many years.

Thanks again for the info! Joey

I've got a 100 TXSs in each .284 140gr and 150 gr. The 140s are going in my wife's 7mm-08 and the 150s in the .280. Working these loads up for elk/moose. My son took several bulls with the 140 gr old X-bullets with the .280. Good elk medicine. Shooting the Hornady 139 gr SSTs for deer/antelope.

Sage, my experence with the 210 gr .338 X-bullets versus Partitions were a result of using a large lodgepole round as a back stop while working up loads. I split the round when I was done. Recovered 3 of each. I measured the bullet path through the wood. The Partitions averaged 11" of penetration, the X-bullets averaged 19". I lost one petal off of one of the X-bullets. Only issue I have on elk is they seem to open up so much that they won't penetrate through the hide on the far side. Almost always find them just under the hide on the far side. But they ALWAYS get to the far side regardless of the angle or distance. Some like all the energy used in the animal, I like an exit wound. BUT all of the elk died quickly so I still use them.

Califelkslayer,

Thanks, more good info.

I'd be curious to hear if anybody shot say 140 grain Barnes TTSX and 140 gr Nosler Accubond, both worked up to "hot" and accurate in their rifle, thru a chronograph. Which bullet they found had or could be safely loaded to the higher muzzle velocity and which carried the most down range energy?

I may have to go digging thru Nosler Vs Barnes threads on other forums. Got to be out there... people want to know :)

Joey

The bullet in the picture was 165 grains and ended up 169 grains after examination there is a piece of bone stuck under one of the pedals. The buck was quartering away .. the bullet hit the first rib and lodged in the off shoulder... the shot was 250 yards.

I do like the barnes bullets, but they arnt a high B.C bullet. i do shoot them at extended ranges and have been impressed every time. i only shoot the tipped versions tho.

Joey, you can get the info your after by using any online calculator and entering the info, there isnt gonna be a drastic difference between a 485 and a 530 b.c bullet (about the diff between noz and barnes 30 cal's, off the top of my head)

Thanks guys!! I'm just skimming thru cause i gotta get out the door but i do appreciate the info...will look into it some more and get back to this!

Joey

go to barnes website sign up for their newsletter. the april issue has tsx matched up to 3 other bullets. 100 yds & 1000 yds. gives fps./weight retention/ penetration distance etc.

I just ordered a bunch of the ttsx from barnes and it came with their Bullet Myth busted dvd. I just finished watching it and was very impressed with some qualities of the barnes. They did prove that barnes are not longer than other bullets. Also proved they dont foul barrels as bad and others. Its a great dvd!! Anyone else seen it?

My dad and I shot 150 tsx out of our 300 RUMs. My buck was bedded head on at 517yds. I had a 7 inch exit hole. Dads buck was qautering away at 400yds. He hit it behind the last rib and the bullet went through its heart and exited out the brisket with silver dollar hole. The wound channel on dads buck was great! It looked just like their adverstisement on the gelatin!

The accurracy with that load was great!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom