barnes bullets

LAST EDITED ON Oct-26-04 AT 08:22AM (MST)[p]Yep.... way-too-expensive!

Shockwaves/SSTs/XTPs/Buffalo S.S.Bs/ even Nosler Partitions & Precision Bullets on sale at the end of January are all premium ML bullets that can be purchased under 50 cents per shot.

............."KEEP YOUR POWDER DRY".............

Barnes are expensive. But they cannot seperate or come apart(save the petals) so you'll always get penetration. And they are very prone to expand easily so you won't get a punch through without expansion.

Whether thats worth the cost would be an individual opinion. I won't hunt with anything but X bullets in centerfire. Still forming opinions in the MZ arena.

Jeff

I have used the Barnes Expander MZ 275 gr. in my Knight .54 caliber for the past 3 deer I have shot. I shot one at 50 yards, one at 120 yds, and one at 85 yds. Two of the three dropped dead cold without finishing their step. The other took about 8 slow steps and fell over. I am not the best shot around nor were any of those shots very far but, I am very happy with the success I had with these bullets.

Have any of you used these same bullets? like/dislike????

GFOUR, If you read my post about xtp,s, the bullet that I switched to was a barnes and like I said "the buck dropped like a brick". The buck that my brother had to finish for me was taken down with a barnes. Needless to say, I think I have found what I am going to stick with.

I have shot Barnes MZ's since I started muzzleloading 4 years ago. I shoot 300 grain bullets, 100 grains of powder and use a Remington ML700. 1st year I shot my buck at 120 yards facing me in his bed, he never even got up. It passed right through his neck. 3rd year I shot a 3x4 at 125 yards again, facing me and standing this time. Shot him in the neck and recovered the bullet perfectly mushroomed on the inside of his hind quarter. Pretty good penetration if you ask me. Plus, the accuracy I have had with this bullet is phenomenal in my opinion, I have more faith in my Muzzy than in my Remington 30-06. No problems holding 2" groups at 100 yards.

-Lucas :)~

http://www.monstermuleys.com/cgi-bin/stories/site.pl?page=lucasdavis10103

I'm sold on the Barnes Expander bullets. My wife used a 275 grain expander in 54 cal ahead of 90 grains of 3F 777 to plant and a massive 5x5 elk. Near 100% weight retention and 6 perfect petals...kills like an arrow if you only get lungs but has enough energy to penetrate the shoulder bone...she got the lungs and the off-shoulder...found the bullet just inside the skin. She's having a European mount done and thinks enough of the the bullet to have it countersunk into the wood below the skull plate.

I shot a nice 3x4 buck with my T/C Hawken .54 cal rifle 3 years ago. The shot was a touch over 100 yards and the buck was down the second he was struck! I shot him high through the lungs. I recovered the 275 grain bullet on the off side hide. I love them. Massive hole and performed to perfection. In my oppinion you cannot pay too much for the business end of your weapon.

Chad

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-04 AT 09:42AM (MST)[p]Chad

That's hogwash! For every bullet that worked fantastic for you, I have one that worked fantastic for me. Odds are, I paid alot less for it than you did.

The only way to determine a bullet's performance on deer (example), is to shoot it in the exact same spot - exact same angle - exact same rifle - exact same velocity/temperature... etc... etc to compare differences. I've read a ton of posts on 22 forums across this country where various Barnes Bullets will never get purchased again by it's former users.

That goes for any brand actually. The point I'm trying to deliver is finding one with a good performance record for your style hunting -- then buying it in bulk or in mass quantities in the off -season or on closeout somewhere.

............."KEEP YER' POWDER DRY FELLAS".............

I am not sure what your problem is! I will shoot Barnes forever. I know that every bullet could have a problem. I am sure that we could list every bullet made and we would get people who say they suck and people who say they are the best ever. My point is that they have worked for me and a bunch of my buddies. Also, I believe that the bullet is the most important part of your set up. It is what kills the animal. If I have to pay a bit more for something that shoots well and puts a major hole in my target animal then I will do it. If I find a great buy after the season of course I would pay less. My point is don't skimp on a bullet choice just cause it is a bit more. When I bow hunt I buy the best heads out even though they cost more. I simply won't settle for anything but "my" best. the debate will always go on about what is the best. I am sure you have more experience than me and you could be right about a better bullet. So far I have no complaints with my Barnes. Have a great day.

Chad

LAST EDITED ON Nov-27-04 AT 10:33PM (MST)[p]I have no problem Chad. When you say the bullet is more important than the rest of the gun, well.... you're wrong. Powder choice & powder-producing speed is more important than any specific Barnes ML bullet when using copper-clad with 100+ grains. There are several of these photos below around the world-wide web. I just found this one first. Look at the wound channel/diameter .... all done with a 23 cent bullet.

Barnes are good bullets... but no better than bullets out there 1/2 the price. It's your money.... spend it wisely or foolishly as you see fit.

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage&action=display&num=1101435194

............."KEEP YER' POWDER DRY FELLAS".............

check your PM inbox. Have some questions.

After that-- went and looked at the other pics. In reality thats a huge wound. Especially for entrance. I won't argue anyone elses choice of bullets. My old problems with MZ bullets were they didn't expand enough(that was way back with round balls).

My question on the XTP bullets(regardless cost) is-- if they do that to an entry wound in the ribs-- will they even penetrate through a shoulder and into the vitals reliably or do they create too much expansion too quickly?

Thanks, Jeff

Great pictures. That is one dead deer. I will have to try those out. I dont know that I am looking for a bullet that explodes like that on impact however. I prefer the major expansion once the bullet breaks through the near side rib cage. Dead is dead so you have no arguments here. I guess we will disagree that the bullet is the most important part of the load. Most propellants and bullets are pretty comprable. You must shoot what patterns and performs best out of your gun. Good luck to you all and have a great day!

Chad

They are pretty good bullets. I've taken three deer with the 245's so far this year. A yearling doe at 20 yds where the bullet went through both shoulders and still did litle meat damage. Second yearling doe at 201 yds (laser verified) where the bullet went in 2 inches from spine between the shoulder bladers, penetrated nearly the entire deer and exited out the opposite buttock. A 3yr old doe at 50 yds in the lower front leg through the vitals and out the ribs. This one ran about 20 yds.

All powder charges were 85 gr of 777 by weight (aprox 105 by volume) out of my Omega. This load has 7" of drop at 200 yds with a 3" high at 100 yds zero.

Still got a single muzzleloader tag left and I'm hoping to tag a buck as I have 7 total days left to hunt. 4 day season starts Thursday and then 3 days the next weekend.

http://www.angelfire.com/mech/wolfhound/
http://http://wolfhound.proboards27.com/

i have always used nosler handgun bullets. 45 cal 300gr in a sabot to fit my 50 cal knight. i use 100grs of pyrodex. i have shot numerous deer and two bull elk with set up.

the best part is you can buy 100 of these bullets for $16 to $18 dollars. pretty cheap compared to the barnes.

For big game hunting with my rifles there is no bullet that compares with Barnes Triple shocks. I have tried them all. Because they do not lose bullet weight you can go with a lot lighter bullet and get great results, consistently.
You get what you pay for with Barnes Bullets.

TM

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom