Barnes guys sound off

ofdscooby

With a lead ban moving in on us here Cali. I'm starting to think it may be easier to just go lead free now and start trying to dial in my loads. That way I don't have to keep switching between lead and copper for the different places I hunt I could just set my 7mag up for a 160 gr copper and so on. It seems Barnes has more choices on lead free bullets so who has used them and what do you think?

I am no worldwide hunter but I have used the TSX extensively in both my .300 WM and my .270 WSM and I think they are excellent bullets. Let me put it this way: the only time I had (or will likely ever have again) a grizzly tag in my pocket I had TSXs in my rifle.

I really like Hornady bullets but the barnes tipped triple shocks are just more accurate in my rifle. I will be using these during the 2nd deer and elk season in Colorado. Eveyone that I know that has used them has great things to say about them. Not to mention they reatain pretty much all their weight.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
Colorado, U.S.A
NRA LIFE MEMBER
www.ElkHunterSports.com

Been using them for a long time now. I would drop to a 140 TTSX in the 7 tho...SOME evidence points to the 160's being too long..not that they wont stabilize, its that they have much less RPM to open that hollow cavity, causing bent tips and un-expanded bullets..(not a proven fact, just what the evidence points to)

I've seen this with 160's in the 7 more than any other.(it was also a problem with hollow point target bullets when used for hunting, like the SMK).

If you have a fast twist, disregard what I said above..

Barnes TSX, and TTSX series is all I use for big game. I found that the 168 grain Black Hills load shot lights out in a Browning BAR with the Boss in .308 for Whitetail. The Federal 100 grain TSX is also accuate in my 25-06 Cooper. My .338 Win Mag loves the new Barnes Vor-Tx in TTSX 225 grains. I don't know what you are hunting but if its Blacktail and pigs, you can drop a weight and try the 140 grainers. If your going to chase elk I'd stick with the 160's. Lee

I just bought a 25-06 and already have a 7mag and .243 so I would like to keep my 7mag shooting in the 160gr range for elk but the point about not being able to get enough speed to mushroom a 160 makes me think twice about trying to develop a load with that grain lead free. I don't know what to do I just want to be able to set up a load for each gun and be done.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-10 AT 10:21AM (MST)[p]This is my response in a another forum about some peoples experience with the Barnes not opening up.

I switched to Barnes x bullets in 1995 after a few bad experiences with pushing small bullets to fast and picking up the pieces.
Since then my family has taken approximately
30 mule deer...2 points to 200"
8 elk.......5 points to 385"
2 shirus moose
1 goat
Half a dozen antelope
In calibers .243, 25-06, 257Weatherby, 7MM Mag, 7MM WSM, 7MM STW, 7MM Ultra Mag, 308, 30-06, & 300 Win Mag,
Most were hand loads with a few factory rounds .
Probably 95% have been one shot kills with most being lung shots broad side.
I have never experienced the run for a mile after being shot like some others. In fact the reason I converted everyone to Barnes was the first 3 deer we shot were lung shots that dropped within 10 yards. Before, using off the shelf ammo, I was used to lunging them and having them go 50 to 100 yds and expire.
Ranges have been from 50 yds to about 550 yds with the average being about 300yds.
The earlier "X" and XLC's seemed to be quite finicky about how they shot out of different guns. I could usually find a load that worked though. The TSX and TTSX seem to be easier to get to group, although we have a 300 Win Mag that absolutely refuses to like any Barnes bullit.
I had a bad experience with 338 accubond that went to pieces on a mooses leg, so I will put up with the small inconviences of the Barnes because I know they will stay together.

>I didnt say anything about speed...I
>may have went into it
>a bit far..The 160 TTSX
>will be fine.

Sorry I didn't mean to put words in your mouth. I have read where you need certain speeds to get effective mushrooming in a unleaded bullet just like any other bullet but with the bullet being longer and taking up more room in the cartridge and higher speeds being harder to achieve then it would make sense that the effective kill distance is shorter.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-10 AT 10:42PM (MST)[p]FWIW, i've had great results with them, and everyone i personally know thats used them loves them..

impact velocity should be kept to around 2000 fps minimum, imo.

Barnes reports they perform well down to 1800 fps , which is the same minimum velocity most all the new bonded bullet manufactures recommend.

Its like choosing Ford, dodge, or chevy! I choose toyota!

I shoot a 150 tsx at 3600fps out of a 300 Ultra Mag! The performance on game is spectacular! This season I took a bighorn sheep at 94 yards, he was quartering to me. The bullet went from his front shoulder to his pelvis, through his hip and out his butt! I shot a mule deer buck yesterday at 566yds. I hit him through the shoulder(Not hitting heavy bone). The bullet exited the other side with great expansion. The buck stood there for a few seconds and fell over! After skinning the buck I inspected the damage done by the tsx. The bullet expanded instantly on the entrance and held together all the way through to the exit hole!

I have been nothing but amazed with accuracy out of my 300 RUM!

Like others have said, you can generally go one weight smaller in any given caliber because of the high weight retention, and because the higher the impact velocity, the better!

2a0fcsk.gif

I just returned from Colorado's first rifle. I took a huge cow elk at 387 lasered yards using the 225 TTSX in my .338 Win Mag. I was shooting Barnes's new Vor-Tx ammo, and my rifle loves them.

I shoot a 7mm mag 30-06 and a 243wsm all I use is Barnes TSX I have them killed every thing Ive shot at!

I'll add to the Barnes users...My Rem700 in .300WM wouldn't group Partitions, so I tried the TSXs...off my backpack, easy sub-MOA, and can definitely kill the big game.

TSXs served me well in AK. One broke the shoulder and exited from my black bear. AND, I was second shooter on my Dad's brown bear. From 200 yds, the bullet went through it's shoulder and back through it's pelvis and found it in the offside hide. The bullet expanded perfectly and retained all it's weight. Looked just like the ones in the magazines.

[http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/DCForumID24/291.html#16]

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom