Barrel Break In

beech18

How many of you have a barrel break in procedure for a new barrel? Just curious who bothers going through a procedure and if so what procedure you use.

Ive been using Calhoon's guidelines for any new rifle I obtain.

I used to do it..It took me a few years to realize it's a waste of time and money..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Kinda the reason I asked, as its a pain in the azz going through a procedure. Everytime Im breaking in a barrel I wonder if this actually helping.

I have started just using a bore guide and jb bore paste before even firing the rifle. I have done this method to the last few rifles and had pretty good results. Clean the barrel completely before starting this process. I usually use a caliber size smaller nylon brush with a patch wrapped around it. Apply jb bore paste to patch and a drop of oil. I usually start at about 50-75 passes down the bore. Change patch and redo a few times.

I've found a good break in can make a sub MOA rifle shoot under an inch.

Stay thirsty my friends

>
> I've found a good break
>in can make a sub
>MOA rifle shoot under an
>inch.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay thirsty my friends

If thats at 200yds I'm gonna start doing it again.

>
> I've found a good break
>in can make a sub
>MOA rifle shoot under an
>inch.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay thirsty my friends

LOL....Ed Zachary...

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

>I have started just using a
>bore guide and jb bore
>paste before even firing the
>rifle. I have done this
>method to the last few
>rifles and had pretty good
>results. Clean the barrel completely
>before starting this process. I
>usually use a caliber size
>smaller nylon brush with a
>patch wrapped around it. Apply
>jb bore paste to patch
>and a drop of oil.
>I usually start at about
>50-75 passes down the bore.
>Change patch and redo a
>few times.

How can you tell you had good results????

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

You can actually feel the bore get smoother as you continue to use Jb bore paste. It also becomes much more of a mirrored finish. The last 2 barrels Ive done this to foul much less now and are much easier to clean. They both shoot groups in the .4s consistently also. Im not saying it's gonna make all barrels into shooters but it's a cheap way to try to increase the chances of it shooting better.

Here is the latest group fired from my new 257WBY. 2nd load tested out of the rifle.
IMG_20120404_104841.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom