Barrel hot! Tikka

DonVathome

Very Active Member
After only 5 shots the barrel is so hot 5 minutes later it burns you. Tikka Tx3 300 win mag stainless steel barrel.

How much will a hot barrel affect accuracy at 200 yards? Do I have to be careful I do not screw up the barrel from the heat?

Never had a gun get hot like this.

On a crapper Kimber I would get flyers going 4" at 100 yards. Too hot will heat check the throat of the barrel. At the range I would wait a cpl minutes between shots at least. 1st shot, cold bore is what you need to look at because that's where you'll be when hunting.

You Tampin the Powder?

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

I have a MKV, 7WBY that does the same. Starts stairstepping high left the more you shoot it. Gets hot quick!!!

No expert...but my understanding is that one of the biggest effects will be on muzzle velocity, which increases due to the powder being hotter.

Higher M.V. means shots will go high relative to your zero. How high depends on several things, like on how hot the barrel gets and how long the powder is in there heating up (equilibrating to the barrel), etc.

But I don't know how much your barrel can handle it.

My Rem. 700 .300 Win Mag is the same. Three shots max for me and let it cool for 30 minutes or so.

After you get it dialed in, 1 shot is all you should need for hunting. :)

Do not shoot it when the barrel is that hot. Not only can it screw up the barrel but you will only get more frustrated the more you shoot. I shoot a number of magnum guns from 300wsm to 28 Nosler to 30-378 to 7RUM and they all get hot. when working on a load and you have to shoot a number of rounds say 15-20 what I do is leave the truck running with the AC on and I also take an air mattress electric pump and blow air down the barrel this will cool your gun off in about 5 min.I only shoot 3 rounds then let it cool. Take a second gun and you can rotate so you don't have to just stand around and wait.

Some great advice above.

When the metal gets that hot it becomes malleable, which means soft and you can shoot out a barrel DAMN quickly! You'll literally sand-blast the metal away with hot gassed in a malleable barrel. Not to mention accuracy issues while you're firing that quickly.

If you can't touch the barrel on the inside of your bicep then it's too hot to continue, period...

Heat kills the throat and your accuracy will permanently degrade.

Keep it cool and most magnums are actually good for a couple thousand shots but shoot them hot and a few hundred will mess it up forever!

Zeke

I Did Burn the Barrel out of My RUGER 100/22 once upon a time!:D

[font color="blue"]She put a Big F.U. in My Future,Ya She's got a
way with Words[/font]

Wow I never had this big of an issue, surprised me! Going to plan on a LOT more time shooting on next trip - and watch for cooler weather. Thanks!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-20-16 AT 07:36PM (MST)[p]The sporter barrels get hot quick. It is best to let them cool off. Take a couple rifles with you to the range so you have something to do while the others cool off.

Range shooting and blowing up targets is one thing.....hunting with a cold barrel ....one shot one kill is another.....apples and oranges....dont get them confused.....lol....

))))------->

I was just hunting with a guy from Texas that had the same gun and the same problem. He told me when we were sighting in our guns the day before the hunt that if he shoots the gun more than four or five times his shots are all over the target.
It was extremely accurate for one or two shots but you would have to wait for it to cool down before you shot it again.
He shot his elk at 200 yards in the neck and didn't have to worry about the gun getting too hot.
So I guess that is the case you have to be a one shot guy!!!
Ammunition is a little hard to find too

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom