Barrle Pitting

Bambistew

Very Active Member
I havn't been shooting a muzzy very long, but have been around guns and reloading for a long time...

I got a CVA muzzle loader from my father in law last year for Christmas. I didn't have one so it filled the hole so to speak.

Here's the dilima, I have developed pitting on the rifleings. I assume this is a bad thing, as I wouldn't want a CF riffle with pits... Anyway, I have been taking it to the range and shooting it quite a bit. After this last trip, I shot about 30-40 rounds. I was shooting 240 gr sabots and 80-90 grn of 777 tring to develop some sort of a group. I run a wet and dry patch between every two or three shots and a brush about every five of so. When I was done for the day I ran a brush down the barrle and three wet patches and a couple dry clean ones. Planing on cleaning it up when I got home, one thing led to another and I forgot about it for a few days. I figured it would be ok since I half cleaned it at the range.

After I gave it a good scrubbn with soap and water, I droped a bore light down it to make sure it was all clean. Then I saw the pitting, I figured it had some crud in it still so I ran a bronz brush down it a few more times. The next inspection was basicly the same. I scrubed some more with no change.

I just can't belive that the barrle pitted that bad in only a couple days with it being moderatly clean.

Should I still shoot it or should I just throw it away and get a nicer one?

thanks

Ivan

Somewhere along the line, you got too much water for too long in that barrel. My next-to-last patch before oiling the bore is always isophyl alcohol or Kroil to displace any moisture and cleaners left behind. JB's Bore Paste, Remington Bore Cleaner... etc all are multi-purpose cleaners that will remove your rust pitting. Just follow their directions.

If you have any Kroil or Ballistol lying around along with 0000 steel wool, that may work also. Once the rust is removed, use a bp solvent instead of soap & water and keep the barrel oiled with a top quality gun oil like CLP Break-Free, Shooters, Birchwood Casey, FP-10... etc.

Another alternative is emailing me thru my profile here & shipping that rifle over to my house before you throw it away. I will gladly pay the S & H.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom