Base layer

chasendeer

I'm headed out for a hunt this August. The average temps are from 45-60 with 32 being the record low. There is also on average 2" of rain. What would be a good clothing option for my pants. I figure that I'll have my sitka rain gear on the whole time do to rain or wet grass, so what would be a good base layer. I was thinking along the lines maybe silk or smartwool micro weight. What do you think?
Thanks
Jay

I gave up on all the synthetic base layers and have went to wool. There are some quality garments manuf out there now like justin charles and first lite, with all the different weights your covered all year....

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-10 AT 04:20PM (MST)[p]Airo,
Curious to know what your issues were with the sythetics.

Rob

I gave up on synthetics too, they make me stink to much. I like merino wool for a base. Asat first lites are decent and so is smartwool.

I like under armor a lot for a base layer. Especially if the temps are variable. I have hunted Colorado at 20 degrees and Arizona at 75 in my UA base layer and been comfortable always.
Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

You could of course go with the Sitka Core or Traverse bases which will match your camo but my long time favorites are REI MTS and Patagonia Capilene zip T-necks.

They come in three different weights and muted, earthy colors.

At this point I am still a polypropylene fan but some of the Merino wool bases are growing on me. I have not seen anything decent in silk for a long time.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Also look at Icebreaker products for wool baselayers. A little pricey but well worth the price. No itch, feels like cotton. I can wear a shirt for multiple days with no stink. Also I still like my UA coldgear baselayer but it can stink after a day or two. Generally the synthetics give more insulation for the same weight, but tend to pick up odor much quicker than merino wool.

Testing has shown that the difference in insulative performance of synthetic and wool fabric of similar thickness and weight is negligible with a slight edge, if any, going to synthetic. Base layers do two things, control temperature or insulate and control moisture and the later is where the differences in wool and synthetic become obvious.

Synthetics are lighter, dry faster, less expensive, do not absorb water and most modern versions handle odor pretty well.

Wool won't melt, is naturally resistant to stinky bacterial growth, and is a renewable resource but it absorbs water (but not much more), dries relatively slower (a lot slower), is relatively heavier, doesn't wick as well and is more expensive. Many users say that wool feels less clammy and warmer when when wet or damp than synthetic.

In my opinion, the current crop of top of the line base layers are so good, the choice between wool and synthetic really boils down to personal preferance.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

I currently have base layers from sitka and under armour and both are more prone to odor than the smart wool and cabelas wool i have. i would agree with hardcore that the synthetics dry alot better but the stink wont work for me in the archery program. I have had some exception with the under armour heat gear, it's super thin like a silk and pulls moisture well but doesn't seem to odor as bad as it's cold gear couterpart. my 2 cents....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom