Bass Pro Shops Buying Cabelas?

There have been rumors (articles) that BP "may" make a bid for Cabelas, but they have yet to do so. Effective Jan 1, 2016 is simply made up. I hope it doesn't happen.

I hope it is just an unfounded internet rumor. I have been a Cabela's customer for twenty-five years and would hate to see the brand bought out.

Mark
muledeer.jpg

My hunting spot is so secret, not even the elk have found it yet.

As of Nov.9th they bought the one in Billings, Mt. Jan.1 they take over or however it will work

It's not a franchise like McDonald's where you can buy one store. Bass pro is supposed to be the silent partner of the financial group that has purchased 11 % of the stock. The town of Sidney has got to be pretty nervous moving the headquarters which I'm sure would happen would destroy a town of 6,500 people.

Does this mean I need to Burn My Cabelas Points?

Or is Bass Pro gonna Honor them?

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

>http://billingsgazette.com/business...cle_4c118a35-66c8-545d-9bd8-4ade33713823.html
>
>Another article citing Reuters. A follow
>up on a local TV
>station says it is a
>done deal.
>
>mh

I think that would be a good move, at least for Utah. Rumor has it that they are not fans of SFW's political tactics and that's one of the reasons they haven't set up shop here before now. But maybe it will just be more about business than politics. I guess we'll find out soon enough via their sponsorships.

>>http://billingsgazette.com/business...cle_4c118a35-66c8-545d-9bd8-4ade33713823.html
>>
>>Another article citing Reuters. A follow
>>up on a local TV
>>station says it is a
>>done deal.
>>
>>mh
>
>I think that would be a
>good move, at least for
>Utah. Rumor has it that
>they are not fans of
>SFW's political tactics and that's
>one of the reasons they
>haven't set up shop here
>before now. But maybe it
>will just be more about
>business than politics. I guess
>we'll find out soon enough
>via their sponsorships.

They haven't set up shop here because the market is saturated. If they could make a substantial profit, they'd be here. No matter how many groups there are that they disagree with. Good Lord.

Can you imagine if a business actually made decisions that way? "Sure, it's highly profitable and great for the company, but those guys at that local non-profit advocacy group that's tangentially related to our industry are kind of d**ks. Better cancel the expansion."

Since Utah, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and New Mexico doesn't have a Bass Pro Shop store I will assume many of you have never been in a Bass Pro store.

The difference is that Cabelas is a hunting store and Bass Pro is a fishing store. Although they both have some of each that's how they are set up. Cabelas doesn't sell boats but every Bass Pro has a large show room floor of Bass Tracker and Nitro boats.

I would think Bass Pro wouldn't try to fix what isn't broken and move the hunting gear out and move fish finders and boats in but it's difficult to say what their marketing strategy will be.

The hunting boots and clothing that Cabelas has is far superior to anything Bass Pro has and most of the things in Cabelas is also superior in quality to Bass Pro.

If they start replacing the Cabelas line with their Red Head stuff that's going to be bad news.

Of course a brand name item is going to be the same where ever you buy it. Swarovski is Swarovski.

I have purchased a few items there that I liked. I have some duffle bags and ammo pouches that I like.

Due to their Southern base they probably have more turkey and duck calls than Cabelas. Bought some turkey calls the last time I was there. And if you are a Duck Dynasty fan that is the store for you.

>>>http://billingsgazette.com/business...cle_4c118a35-66c8-545d-9bd8-4ade33713823.html
>>>
>>>Another article citing Reuters. A follow
>>>up on a local TV
>>>station says it is a
>>>done deal.
>>>
>>>mh
>>
>>I think that would be a
>>good move, at least for
>>Utah. Rumor has it that
>>they are not fans of
>>SFW's political tactics and that's
>>one of the reasons they
>>haven't set up shop here
>>before now. But maybe it
>>will just be more about
>>business than politics. I guess
>>we'll find out soon enough
>>via their sponsorships.
>
>They haven't set up shop here
>because the market is saturated.
>If they could make a
>substantial profit, they'd be here.
>No matter how many groups
>there are that they disagree
>with. Good Lord.
>
>Can you imagine if a business
>actually made decisions that way?
>"Sure, it's highly profitable and
>great for the company, but
>those guys at that local
>non-profit advocacy group that's tangentially
>related to our industry are
>kind of d**ks. Better cancel
>the expansion."

You're reading words in my statement that I didn't write! I was told (and I wrote) that it was ONE of the reasons, not that it was the ONLY reason nor that it was even a BIG reason, but the issue was brought up and not by me. I just passed it along.

Also, there are some privately owned businesses that have put their own personal values or missions above their profit and business practices and this may or may not be the case with Bass Pro Shops. Besides we don't know what the stipulations are for any such sale and the brand name, business structure, vendor contracts, employee contracts, government requirements, etc. may specify what they can or cannot do with relationships.

Finally, though I can accept my source as being reliable, I can't vouch for his source or sources and that's why I referred to it as a rumor. In fact, this whole thread is based on rumor or speculation at this point. I guess we'll know soon enough!

My good friend.told me in certain terms that Bass Pro is reluctant to locate in UT because of the Mormon faith. Really? Elks that is a ridiculous rumor. Your friend has got to be a member of the Hate club to make a statement like. Just telling it like it is from a business objective.

I have a friend who works in corporate management in Sidney. He said a number of upper level managers have been let go. He said rumors are starting to make their way around, but even upper management isn't sure what is going to happen.

So?

I Guess Mormons don't Hunt?

Don't Fish?

Don't do all kinds of Sports?

JUDAS!

Last Time I checked I'd bet there are More Sportsmen in this State Per Capita than Damn near any other State anywhere?

Probably more Money Spent on Ammo in this state than anywhere?

Damn Mormon Whoreders!:D

Go Ahead!

Make Me take it down!

9001hank2.jpg

Bessy, all I can say is that Mormon girls were the most desirable to date many moons ago for obvious reasons. Like, hunt fish,cook and you didn't have to worry about them getting knocked up.

CA customers don't have to pay sales tax ordering from Cabelas on line now as Cabelas has no buisness in CA. That would stop....

LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-15 AT 10:16AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-28-15 AT 10:14?AM (MST)

Having worked at Cabela's in management and sold Tracker Marine brands for over ten years, I have a little insight.

Cabela's does indeed sell boats. Many of their locations are among the top Ranger Boat dealers and most are among the top Lowe Boats dealers. All of the locations combined make Cabela's the largest customer of Ranger Boats, Lowe Boats and Alumacraft Boats.

Tracker Marine is a subsidiary of Bass Pro Shops. The Tracker Marine brands are Tracker Boats, Nitro Boats, Suntracker, Regency, Mako, Tahoe and Ranger Boats.

Its a good move on the the part of Bass Pro from a business standpoint. The Bass Pro senior management are very good at what they do. First off, owning the manufacturing and retailing sides of the boat business makes them the strongest brand in the boat business. They retail their boats at very small profit margins and have a better margin on the manufacturer side. Independent Tracker Marine dealers are controlled by a nationally advertised retail price. Its a very tough situation for the independent dealer and if a guy can make it in his market, he has done well. After making it into the top 5 Tracker Marine dealers or several years in the top 10, you are rewarded with a new Bass Pro Shop in your market. Tough on the independent dealer, but what a great strategy for Bass Pro. A guy puts his money and effort into developing a market and Bass Pro reaps the reward.

Recently, Bass Pro has developed the strategy of "if you can't beat 'em, buy 'em", as evidenced with the recent purchase of Ranger Boats. Bass Pro has been unable to beat Cabela's in the hunting/outdoors arena.

Since Cabela's is a publicly traded company, Bass Pro can make an offer to buy and Cabela's management must make a case for or against to the shareholders. Bass Pro can also do a hostile takeover by just buying up the stock.

In the end, it will probably be a good deal for the consumer. Bass Pro and Cabela's will most likely continue to operate independently and very little will change at the retail level at Cabela's.

What a coup for Bass Pro to own Ranger Boats and Ranger's largest retailer. Look out independent Ranger dealers. Your world is about to change.

"You can fly a helicopter to the top of Everest and say you've been there. The problem with that is you were an a$$hole when you started and you're still an a$$hole when you get back.
Its the climb that makes you a different person". - Yvon Chouinard

>My good friend.told me in certain
>terms that Bass Pro is
>reluctant to locate in UT
>because of the Mormon faith.
>Really? Elks that is a
>ridiculous rumor. Your friend has
>got to be a member
>of the Hate club to
>make a statement like. Just
>telling it like it is
>from a business objective.

Hate club? If we are still talking about hating political tactics to get policies that are not good for the animals or that reduce hunting opportunities for social reasons, then yes, he hates them as much or more than I do. However, if this conversation has degraded into talking about hating people then you couldn't be more off base! He is one of the most generous people I know in terms of both time and money when it comes to dealing with people that need outside help. He expects them to make an honest effort on their part, but when that isn't enough, he's there with open arms.

BTW, he didn't initiate the "ridiculous" rumor! He just commented on it like I did, which I won't do again!

And as I indicated, finances aren't the only objectives for starting, running or expanding a business or a nonprofit.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-15 AT 02:40PM (MST)[p]>You're reading words in my statement
>that I didn't write! I
>was told (and I wrote)
>that it was ONE of
>the reasons, not that it
>was the ONLY reason nor
>that it was even a
>BIG reason, but the issue
>was brought up and not
>by me. I just passed
>it along.
>....
>Finally, though I can accept my
>source as being reliable, I
>can't vouch for his source
>or sources and that's why
>I referred to it as
>a rumor. In fact, this
>whole thread is based on
>rumor or speculation at this
>point. I guess we'll know
>soon enough!

Fair enough. But I've never found the "I just passed along the completely unsubstantiated rumor that I have no direct personal knowledge of whatsoever" explanation particularly persuasive.

And you're right, you did say it was "one of" the reasons and didn't expressly say it was a big one or the only one. But it was, notably, the only reason you chose to opine about. That implies importance to any reader. And besides, you said it was at least A reason they chose not to come here. That implies a causal relationship between SFW and Bass Pro's decision, not just a factor that BP happened to consider. Any cause and effect relationship is a big deal, whether it happens to be the only one or not.

I guess what I'm getting at is being careful about how we write, that's all. Words matter. And as someone who's involved in the outdoor/wildlife conservation industry, I've seen how poorly chosen phrasing on a forum can balloon behind the scenes without anyone ever realizing it, or lead to false and unfounded opinion spreading through the hunting public's consciousness until it's treated as tantamount to gospel truth.

Better to not spread the rumor at all, wouldn't you say?

>LAST EDITED ON Nov-29-15
>AT 02:40?PM (MST)

>
>>You're reading words in my statement
>>that I didn't write! I
>>was told (and I wrote)
>>that it was ONE of
>>the reasons, not that it
>>was the ONLY reason nor
>>that it was even a
>>BIG reason, but the issue
>>was brought up and not
>>by me. I just passed
>>it along.
>>....
>>Finally, though I can accept my
>>source as being reliable, I
>>can't vouch for his source
>>or sources and that's why
>>I referred to it as
>>a rumor. In fact, this
>>whole thread is based on
>>rumor or speculation at this
>>point. I guess we'll know
>>soon enough!
>
>Fair enough. But I've never found
>the "I just passed along
>the completely unsubstantiated rumor that
>I have no direct personal
>knowledge of whatsoever" explanation particularly
>persuasive.
>
>And you're right, you did say
>it was "one of" the
>reasons and didn't expressly say
>it was a big one
>or the only one. But
>it was, notably, the only
>reason you chose to opine
>about. That implies importance to
>any reader. And besides,
>you said it was at
>least A reason they chose
>not to come here.
>That implies a causal relationship
>between SFW and Bass Pro's
>decision, not just a factor
>that BP happened to consider.
>Any cause and effect relationship
>is a big deal, whether
>it happens to be the
>only one or not.
>
>I guess what I'm getting at
>is being careful about how
>we write, that's all. Words
>matter. And as someone who's
>involved in the outdoor/wildlife conservation
>industry, I've seen how poorly
>chosen phrasing on a forum
>can balloon behind the scenes
>without anyone ever realizing it,
>or lead to false and
>unfounded opinion spreading through the
>hunting public's consciousness until it's
>treated as tantamount to gospel
>truth.
>
>Better to not spread the rumor
>at all, wouldn't you say?
>

Touche, on all points! I apologize to all parties involved. I did say it won't happen again and it won't.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-15 AT 04:34PM (MST)[p]>>Fair enough. But I've never found
>>the "I just passed along
>>the completely unsubstantiated rumor that
>>I have no direct personal
>>knowledge of whatsoever" explanation particularly
>>persuasive.
>>
>>And you're right, you did say
>>it was "one of" the
>>reasons and didn't expressly say
>>it was a big one
>>or the only one. But
>>it was, notably, the only
>>reason you chose to opine
>>about. That implies importance to
>>any reader. And besides,
>>you said it was at
>>least A reason they chose
>>not to come here.
>>That implies a causal relationship
>>between SFW and Bass Pro's
>>decision, not just a factor
>>that BP happened to consider.
>>Any cause and effect relationship
>>is a big deal, whether
>>it happens to be the
>>only one or not.
>>
>>I guess what I'm getting at
>>is being careful about how
>>we write, that's all. Words
>>matter. And as someone who's
>>involved in the outdoor/wildlife conservation
>>industry, I've seen how poorly
>>chosen phrasing on a forum
>>can balloon behind the scenes
>>without anyone ever realizing it,
>>or lead to false and
>>unfounded opinion spreading through the
>>hunting public's consciousness until it's
>>treated as tantamount to gospel
>>truth.
>>
>>Better to not spread the rumor
>>at all, wouldn't you say?
>>
>
>Touche, on all points! I apologize
>to all parties involved. I
>did say it won't happen
>again and it won't.

Wait a second...A reasonable, mature, and respectful individual who's not entrenched in their points simply for the sake of it has engaged in substantive and productive discussion on the internet? And changed their opinion based on new information no less?

I....I don't know what to say. I'm in shock. Are you real? I feel like I've seen a unicorn. It's so damn beautiful.

If we were in the same room I'd stand and applaud.

BP gear sucks, I have two BP shops within 2 1/2 hours of our house and I'll drive the four hours to Reno to Cabelas every time. Cabelas gear is far superior!

Really hope that doesn't happen, BP gear sucks! We have two BP shops within two hours of us and I'll still drive four hours to Reno Cabelas every time! Be a bad move for Cabelas fans

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom