BC Bighorn Down!!

150fighter

Got lucky on this one. I'll write up a story when I can find some time...

38352010_sheep_right.jpg

26642010_10080441.jpg

26522010_sheep_dan_dad.jpg

28252010_packout_fog.jpg

What an awesome Trophy!

I am excited to hear the story.

I love that picture with you packing it out in the fog. Awesome!

All these sheep being taken and posted here is driving me nuts. Congrats on taking a great ram. Look forward to the story.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-10 AT 10:10PM (MST)[p]Beautiful ram. Congratulations on a great hunt. We can't wait to hear your story.......hurry!

Zeke

PS, Did I say hurry? I meant hurry and hurry. We need another good story.

Oh, and thanks for sharing your photos!

Nice Job!
You BC boys are pretty spoiled when it comes to sheep hunting, but I imagine getting a Bighorn tag up there is pretty special, like anywhere else.
It is great to see young guys having success on sheep!
Congratulations.
+1 on a story. Love to hear how it all came down.

Great ram, great pictures. Congratulations. I can see my face on a similar picture sometimes next week, I'm going back for a second try Oct 20-25. See my "Year of the Sheep" thread for the full story.

Congrats again

Martin

Thanks for the replies guys! Here is my attempt at a story..

As some as you guys know, I am going to university right now, which doesnt leave me much room to go hunting. But this past weekend was Thanksgiving in Canada, giving me a day off. I decided to go home on Thursday, skip school on Friday, and then drive back to school on Monday. My dad and I were planning on hunting Friday, Saturday, Sunday morning, then eat turkey Sunday night.

We decided to go to a basin we had scouted a few times in the summertime. We found a few good muley bucks and some big bulls in this spot, and thats what we were looking for. We had seen a few sheep as well, and had a tag in our pocket, but didnt even consider shooting a sheep. Being that it was near the end of the season, and the number of sheep hunters/ legal sheep we thought there was no chance of even seeing a legal sheep.

We hiked up to our base camp in about 3 hours, set up a tent, and then went to a good vantage spot. The weather was terrible, most of the time you could not see a thing because of the fog, we were basically in a cloud the entire trip. Every 20 minutes of so the cloud cover would break for a few seconds and you frantically glassed in that time.

After a few hours of that, we both decided to go back to the tent for a few hours, hoping the cloud cover would leave. A few hours later we were awoken to voices, 2 guys were walking past our tent! We talked to them for a bit, and found out they were sheep hunters. We wished each other good luck and they took off to set up their tents.

My dad and I decided to glass for a few more hours, even though the cloud cover was still really bad. We went to one spot where one was able to glass the bottom half of the mountain, at this point the clouds were only covering the top half of the mountain. I spotted a muley doe about 600 yards below us on a slide path, and after watching her for a few seconds, glassed elsewhere. A few minutes later I decided to look at this doe again, but when I turned my binos towards her, I saw a sheep!

I told my dad, and we set up our spotting scope on him. He was only a 3/4 curl, (in BC, a sheep needs to be full curl to be legal). All of a sudden, out of the alders, another sheep walked out! This one was a lot bigger, and we both started to get real excited. My dad and I closed the distance to 388 yards, and again took out the spotting scope to make sure he was legal. After an hour and a half of watching this guy we both agreed that he was legal. I steadied my gun on the rock outcrop we were on, and as soon as the sheep cleared some bush I took the shot.

We both heard a loud WHACK and saw the sheep hunch up. Before I could get another shot, he walked into the timber. Of course, the fog rolled in at the same time, and we couldn't see anything. The way down to the sheep was pretty nervewracking, did I hit him good or not?? It was also starting to get dark at this part, and grizzly bear sign was EVERYWHERE.

We found him with no problem, he actually walked back out to the slide and died right in the opening. We caped him out for a shoulder mount, and deboned the meat. It wasnt until 11PM that we got back to our tent, on the way back we ran into those same 2 hunters. They were really nice and congratulated me on a great ram.

The ram has 35" horns, with 15" bases. Rough scored him at 170 6/8, and he was 8.5 years old.

WOW 150fighter!

That's a fun story and well worth the wait. I've never had the chance to "accidently" shoot a bighorn! Haha

Your ram is beautiful and the photos and story will give me my fix for awhile. Thank you.

Congratulations again..... now get back to your studies!

Zeke

Wow! That story just makes me want to move to BC.

That is an awesome story, I am so jealous.

Beautiful Ram Congrats!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom