Bear advice please?

hunting1

Hello my fellow New Mexicans. I always see a bear or two during the elk season but no pattern as to the locations.

Anyways I am going to take a week in August and head down to the Gila to see if I can get it done or on my own bear hunt. What advice can be given, sit water, find cactus, acorns, I am open to your advice?

If not, it will be a great week of hiking and an elk photo expedition.

Thanks,

In August, water is going to be your best bet, but if you happen across any sort of dead animal it might be productive to keep an eye on it. A few years ago I was helping a friend on his Gila elk hunt when we jumped a huge bear that was feeding on dead cow elk. We smelled the elk first. I had a valid bear license in my pocket but I wrongly assumed the zone was already closed. It wasn't, and I'm still kicking myself about it. I still think about how small and far apart his ears looked on his massive head when he stood up on his hind legs to look down on us. Just would have had to borrow my friend's 30-06 for a 20-yard shot...

Thanks guys, I am just trying to narrow down an area now as well educate a little more from those with more bear knowledge.

We found a huge bear in unit 10 a few years ago. Were elk hunting and he was 20 yards from my buddy who shot him with his ML. 20" skull. We found him at the top of a mountain with a lot of exposed rock on the very top. If you carry a tag you never know. I know that was the heaviest hide we ever packed out.

Unfortunately won't be eating any acorns just yet. There may be some on the trees but they'll be green. Bear corn, grass and any free meal they can get right now is what they're doing. Bears won't be far from water. I can give you some places that hold bears all the time but don't know how I would hunt it without my dogs unless you try using a call...I've done that before in the past as well. PM me if you want some spots to checkout down there.

Ryan

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom