Bear Attack

cosmic_cowboy

Very Active Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-02-15 AT 06:52PM (MST)[p]Anyone have any more info on the bear attack in the Lincon NF ?
Jack

You've got to laugh at the news media these days--pretty sure that black bear wasn't a grizzly per the video feed pic...

That's pretty close to where I nearly walked between a momma bear and her cub about ten or twelve years ago. I saw the cub first and dropped to all fours so that I could look under and thru the chest high oak brush when I spotted the momma 15 yards in front and just slightly to my right. Cub on my left, momma bear on my right. They were both rolling rocks and licking up the insects.

After about two minutes the air currents changed and momma winded me. Without any kind of a warning she bolted up the mountain directly away, leaving her cub. It took the cub another 20 seconds or so to figure out that momma had abandoned before it went tearing up the mountain after her, bawling all the way. Didn't stop bawling for several hundred yards. Armed with only a pocket knife, another couple steps and that could have ended up really bad for me, but I smile when I think of it now.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom