Bear Attack!

Crunchy

FORKS, Wash. -- A man injured by a black bear had been chasing the animal on private timberland when the bear turned the tables on its pursuers, the investigating officer said Sunday.

Bear season doesn't open until later in the year, but the man was hunting the animal under a special permit issued by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to Rainier Timber, which owns the land where the hunt was proceeding Saturday, about 6 miles east of the Olympic National Park boundary.

It appeared the hunters had been pursuing the bear for some time, said Fish and Wildlife Officer Brian Fairbanks.

"It's like, you have the fight-or-flight response. It ran for so long, and then decided, 'We're not going to run any more,'" Fairbanks said.

At that point, the hunter and the bear were in heavy brush, the officer said. "He didn't realize the bear was there, and when he got close enough the bear jumped out and grabbed him."

It was not a surprise attack, he said. "They knew it was there - they'd been chasing it. ... The guy got bit but he was the one who put himself in position to get bit."

A second hunter shot and killed the bear before summoning help.

The injured man underwent surgery Sunday on a broken arm, Fairbanks said.

"The bear had grabbed his arm and dragged him down an embankment," he said. "It required some surgery to put him together."

The man, whose name was not released, also suffered a broken wrist and two bite wounds on the upper thigh.

It was a legal hunt, Fairbanks said, with no violation of conditions of the permit.

Fairbanks is based in Forks, an Olympic Peninsula community on the southwest edge of Olympic National Park.

Wow. Petty exciting to say the least.
Thanks for the story.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Those guys must have been in pretty good shape to chase a bear hard enough to force him to turn on them, without dogs!!
And that would suck to have a bear grab ya!!!!
My boy came across a big fresh pile of bear scat while hiking on Satuday. Kind of got his blood pumping, and trigger finger itching.....

anterrick, they were hunting with dogs. They had a story about it on the news on tv last night. The injured hunter is a professional hound hunter. He was obviously working for a private timber company with a depredation permit.

Kewl We always like Bear stories where people get tasted!! From Chefs and the Bears prospective. I love animals they are Delicious. Wonder what he tastes like? Say "Uncle" said the bear!!

Rut

Women love me!! Fish shudder at the mention of my name!!
It's not the quack but the flight of the wild duck that leads the flock to destiny!!
Quack Away!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom