Bear in Valle Vidal

Hey guys, I have been following this forum for quite a while, but this is my first post. I drew a bear tag in the Valle Vidal/Greenwood Aug 1-31st. I've never hunted up there and though I have purchased bear tags before, I have never hunted bear specifically either. I can barely remember the last time I hunted an animal for the first time, and I am very excited for this hunt. I plan on doing a good amount of scouting, and I like to get off the beaten path, but I'm not sure where to start. If anyone has any tips for hunting bear or a good place to go scouting, I would REALLY appreciate it.

Spend most of your time off from work towards end of august when acorns are ripe. Get in where there is oak brush and listen. You will hear them crunching and breaking limbs.

Or get some dogs.

Outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

I drew my OIL archery elk tag there last year and spent 14 days in the VV. I saw bear almost every day and one whopper that went 400lbs plus. PM me your contact info and I'll give you a buzz.

>Spend most of your time off
>from work towards end of
>august when acorns are ripe.
>Get in where there is
>oak brush and listen. You
>will hear them crunching and
>breaking limbs.
>
>Or get some dogs.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Outside of a horse is good
>for the inside of a
>man.

I don't believe that dog use is allowed in the valle vidal? I've seen quite a few bears in the valle over the years, but always just chance encounters.

>>Spend most of your time off
>>from work towards end of
>>august when acorns are ripe.
>>Get in where there is
>>oak brush and listen. You
>>will hear them crunching and
>>breaking limbs.
>>
>>Or get some dogs.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>Outside of a horse is good
>>for the inside of a
>>man.
>
>
>I don't believe that dog use
>is allowed in the valle
>vidal? I've seen quite
>a few bears in the
>valle over the years, but
>always just chance encounters.

Just got my license and it says dog use is allowed. My 2 year old lab took to duck hunting pretty quick, but it might take a bit more to get him to go after a bear :)

Take a varmint call along too. Used one there after tagging out on an elk hunt and called a cinnamon bear into 15 yards. Definitely a kick especially with a muzzle loader. Just be selective in where you setup to call.

Not all who wander are lost!

Don't get too excited. Game and Fish will shoot all the bears over the summer and fill the quota before your hunt even starts. I drew the Spring tag last year and the entire hunt season was before the bears came out of hibernation. They had to extend my hunt and on the last day 2 bears were finally killed. Game and fish the proceeded to kill what was remaining of the quota of 15 over the summer and I am almost certain that the hunt was closed before the august hunt ever started.

Sorry to be a downer, but your know NM G&F...worthless.

>Don't get too excited. Game
>and Fish will shoot all
>the bears over the summer
>and fill the quota before
>your hunt even starts.
>I drew the Spring tag
>last year and the entire
>hunt season was before the
>bears came out of hibernation.
> They had to extend
>my hunt and on the
>last day 2 bears were
>finally killed. Game and
>fish the proceeded to kill
>what was remaining of the
>quota of 15 over the
>summer and I am almost
>certain that the hunt was
>closed before the august hunt
>ever started.
>
>Sorry to be a downer, but
>your know NM G&F...worthless.

I just checked the bear unit for 2C, and it said it was open until October 15, 2011. Hopefully since that unit doesn't officially open until the middle of August, and my hunt starts at the beginning of August the only bears that should have been taken are by depredation. I may be reading this wrong, but based on last year, I should have some time before the unit closes...Hopefully:)

I'm not familiar with the unit, but believe what Dang32 is trying to say is that enough bears will be killed by G&F as depredation/problem animals that the quota will be met before season even opens, thus it won't be opened.

Routinely happens like that here in the Sandia Mountains next to ABQ. Haven't had a season here in years because the quota is filled during the spring/summer and they don't open it.

Sorry I was vague. There is a separate quota for the Valle Vidal, and last year it was 15. Your license should state that quota on it, and last year I remember checking during my hunt and over the summer and there was a separate column just for the valle vidal. Last year 2 bears were killed on the spring hunt and then game and fish killed the remaining bears (depredation) over the summer and I am about 95% sure that the area was closed prior to the August season. I hope its still open for you because its a fun unit to be in.

Don't forget there is still the spring hunt this year with 20 tags. Success should still be low because its spot and stalk bear hunting right as some of the bears are beginning to come out of hibernation. I would think anyone with dogs would have close to 100% chance of success though. I just assume most hunters aren't willing to pay someone with dogs.

I had forgot about the spring hunt...I wonder if the regulations are different this year from last. I searched the proclamation and couldn't find anything about a different quota for the Valle Vidal, and my permit doesn't have a quota on it. I know they changed a few things this year, but can't find my proclamation from last year to check. I guess I have to call game and fish tomorrow.

Hopefully it is different this year. My license said right on it last year that the unit would close when 15 bears had been killed. Just call the large carnivore biologist, he is a good guy to talk to and probably one anyone else would refer the question to anyway.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-29-12 AT 08:48PM (MST)[p]Tony,

Get a big pik-a-nik basket and Yogi will come!!:D

Congrats on the tag, Bud...you'll get one, you're a huntin' machine!!

Take pictures.

-Mike

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom