Bears on Baits??

E

EDGE_1

Been tending baits for about a week, and was wondering if anyone has been hit yet?

Edge, what area are you hunting? I set one of my baits this past Saturday. I'm hoping this weather will continue and get them out roaming. I have a Wasatch West archery tag, still a lot of snow in the high country......

I'm on the North Manti. My baits are fairly low, so I'm expecting some action soon. At least within the next two weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Any luck yet fellars? I checked my first bait and set my second bait yesterday....no luck yet, snow is going fast and now its just a matter of time and good weather. Knox what area are you hunting? I hope Yogi starts getting hungry here soon......

I think my frustration is coming from getting baits out to soon. I've been expecting bears for 2 weeks, visiting my sites almost every other day. I know it's just a matter of time, so for now I will keep enjoying being on the mountain.
I'll let you all know when they start.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-10 AT 07:35AM (MST)[p]baiting in southwest, wy kinda high for this early i'm guessing atleast a week or two before i even go check it out

im in south west idaho and i have a bait set. its only been about a week and we have seen two bears while in the stand but not in the bait yet. still a little early i think

This is my first time ever hunting bear & I've had one bait station going for 2 weeks and another for a week without a hit in central Utah. I shouldn't be worried yet?

Dont worry guy's. Last year the bears were slow to hit but once they did they were steady. It progressively got better as the season went on. Really got awesome the last week. It is early and we have had some crazy snowy weather. Keep at it and you will have bears in. Cant wait to see pics of your bears! Good luck!

Got hit yesterday. Not sure how big he is, but does have 4 1/2 to 5 inch front pad. Got a good look at him as he snuck in on me while I was checking out the pictures.

Lets see if I can get some pics to post. Always have trouble with them.

Finally something to get the blood pumpin!!
8167icam0012.jpg

6273101_0895.jpg

How much snow is there were your bait is set, i have about one and a half to two feet were i am and kinda worry it's too much

Just got of the mountain, and there is not more than an inch or two at my bait site. Got hit again last night, but camera didn't fire. New battery now, so should have more pics tomorrow.

LAST EDITED ON May-01-10 AT 07:24PM (MST)[p]I'm hunting through you all, for now. I went up today and there's no getting even close to my area...it's still like January in my woods.

Got a couple spots on the west wasatch to get registered
on monday. This will be my first bear hunt. Hope it works
out.

wetworn, where are you looking to place your baits? I have had a couple out on the unit for two weeks now.....nothin yet

Give me your opinion, I was thinking this was the same bear as the one above, but now that I've looked at it a couple time, I think its a little bigger and lighter in color. Let me know what you think.

Kevin

4629icam0012.jpg

I just put one out up diamond fork. I am hoping that
things warm up and they get moving.

Edge i would say it's a diff bear but maybe smaller than the one in the first picture

Took my wife into my stand again last night, and at 8:45 harvested the bigger bear pictured above.
I will have some pictures posted soon. Squared right at 6'. Couldn't pass him up while I had my wife in to watch the whole show. While we were there, had 2 other bears come in, so they are plenty active.

Kevin

Well lets see some pics EDGE i'm sure my trail cam is filled with crows and magpies

Not a giant, but a first for me. I have hunted bears several times, helped friends over the years with their hunts, but never taken one until now. He will make a great rug.

2348101_0906.jpg

Lets see if these work.
Hey Kevlar, those look like great bears. Looks like two bears in the first photo. Mind telling us what area you are in?

6150101_0897.jpg

3886101_0923.jpg

8167101_0906.jpg

Edge great lookin bear!!!! ecspecially to smoke one with a recurve!!! Way to go to have the hard work pay off and come together with the wife there to see it is great!!! I hope a little of your luck will rub off on me!!!

Edge,
Thats a nice bear and the recurve bow makes it better. I better not say what area my pic are from as I don't have the tag, I'm just the extra guy on the COR to help tend the baits. My friend has the tag.

Nice bear kevin you got it done early, i am hoping to do the same thing with the black widow on the wasatch maybe this weekend my baits will be hit!

Kody

Thats what I told my wife... It's to early to end it. She didn't care, she had been watching the trail camera as much as I had, and she wanted this bear. When he came in I didn't have much choice.
Good luck on the Wasatch. Look forward to hear how your doing, so let us know when your baits have been hit.

bear12010.jpg

My bait got hit a few days ago and this guy has been a regular since, im going to wait awhile longer and see what else shows up he's a little small probobly a 5' bear maybe a little better

Hard to judge with just trail cam pics, but looks like he has potential. Keep us posted.

LAST EDITED ON May-10-10 AT 06:30AM (MST)[p]Are you all using tree stands or ground blinds? I am running 2 different baits right now to run my dogs of from but would also like to sit on them in the evenings. I would prefer a ground blind set up but didn't know how effective they would be.Also I was talking with some old timer about bears coming into baits at night and he said to use a blinking light like the ones you find on rd barricades around construction sites. He said this will keep the bears away at night and then when morning comes and they can't see it blinking anymore they will come on in to eat. Has anyone on hear ever used this method?

I don't know about ID, but in Utah what you posted above is totally illegal. I would edit my post if I were you if you have similar laws.

I am totally legal for Idaho. I can run up to three different bait sites. I am only doing two for the fact that its a ton of work. I am not using the blinking light just was wondering if anyone has herd or done this. Also I run dogs and really never have sat on baits before. Just was wondering what you all thought was more effective tree stand or ground blind??

In Idaho you can run dogs off of your baits. In Utah you cannot. In Idaho you can shoot a bear off a bait with a rifle, in Utah, you cannnot. One size doesn't fit all.

I don't think light effect critters that much so I think who ever told you a blinking light would keep a bear away knows much about it. I have been walking out at night time and walked right into bears before and my flashlight didn't scare them. I have also done the same thing on moose and deer when heading to an area early in the mornings or coming out from hunting at night and I don't think light has any effect on most critters. You see photo after photo of nice bear, bucks etc on trail cameras and they just keep dong their thing.

Have a good one. BB

I have to agree with BB. When my bear came in it was late enough that the flash on my trail camera was going off. He didn't even care, or look in the direction of the camera. Not sure the flasher is going to work. i have heard that the radio will work though.

Thats kind of what i though but though I would through it out to you all. Had this guy hit last night. Will see if we cant get to him on Friday! Also whats your thought on tree stands -V- Ground Blinds??
MDGC0088.jpg

MDGC0103.jpg

That looks like a great bear. He should make for a good chase.
I prefer tree stands over ground blinds if I have big enough trees.

Thanks man I hope so. Whats crazy is this sucker ate all the molasses I had out before he started on any of the other stuff. Man I hope to lay the hammer down on this guy this weekend! Going to try to get something going in the morning with the dogs if that dose not work then I think I am going to try the ground blind later that afternoon/evening.

Kody.... Forget the girl for the weekend and get that bear on the ground. Just got that pic send to me by RC, and he is a stud!!!
Good luck!!!

Great Bear Kody
The hard work by you and your friends and family is going to pay off.
Good Luck

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom