Beartooth - Wy Black Hills Retirement property?

MAT

I am thinking about buying some property on which it retire someday (it's a ways away). We like area around Sundance in the Beartooths, but how is the deer hunting out there? Never heard much so it can't be very good. I know they have both mulies and whitetails. Elk too. Any general impressions on the area, fishing too appreciated. Be nice to attain resident status, that could almost pay for the property! Thanks.

Thats some nice country ! As you know the area East of Sundance is the Black hills Nat'l Forest. Its unit 1 for Elk. Good hunt but tough draw. There are a fair number of whitetail and some Muleys in those hills (region A) but they get hunted pretty hard. If you move there you should find some local ranchers to help out in exchange for hunting rights. That would improve your odds significantly. good luck. Chip

My dad grew up in sundance, and i have lots of family still there. For hunting that area has the highest number of deer in the state, but the public land is overhunted but with some scouting and hard work you can kill a 140's whitetail in them woods. Elk has alot of options, if you buy property t0 the north west on the west side of the highway going to huelett its general tag, that open september 1st for rifle. Then the east side of the highway is area 117, limited quota,along with area 1 both great tags if you got private access. but deer is mainly whittails i have seen very few mature muley bucks in my visits to my grandparents place. there is lots of long tailed puddycats though, which the season closes really fast usually the first storm it needs a higher mortality quaota.

moseley middleton

The Beartooth plateau is in the northwest part of the state, along the Montana line between Cody and Cooke City. I think that you mean the Bear Lodge Mountains around the Black Hills.

You are right, I meant the Bear Lodge Mtns of Eastern Wyoming!

If anyone knows a good real estate agent out there let me know. Thanks.

Mat,

Before you buy any land in that area I would suggest looking into the strip mining that is about to start. The Federal Goverment is looking into mining for a rare mineral in the Black Hills.

I wish I had more info for you however, a few months ago the Casper Tribuine(sp) had a article in there paper about the mining in that area.

Scratch

That is good to know! Thanks. Seems you can't get away from someone digging or drilling a hole in the ground anywhere these days.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom