Beatys butte

T

TDM

hi guys ,I drew the beatys butte deer tag and am hoping that I could get som information on the area and where to look and hunt for deer whether it is in the pueblos or on the flats,
any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Thad

Find a alfalfa field, these are the only places you'll find deer in this unit these days. Finding any true desert deer on the butte are very slim, mabye a few on the Pueblos. I wish you luck but this is a tough hunt for any deer especially a good one.
You can thank years of Oregon deer management for destroying all eastern Oregon deer hunting. Poeple who live out here know what I mean.

Sorry!!

Archery hunting the Beaty's Butte unit wasn't very good to say the least. Very very few deer. I defently believe the long hard winter was hard on the deer herd. Over the years archery hunting there I have always seen a handfull of real nice bucks, but not this year. My buddy's also hunted the unit with the same results. However they did not go home empty handed. After they hunted the desert they headed to the Warner mountains and was able to see 3 bears, however were not able to tag a bear on the Warner mountains. They then headed over towards Gearhart mountain outside of Bly Oregon and seen 5 bears there. There on Gearhart they were able to tag a bear. Never seen so many bears in one season, completely stunning. There's no question we have a bear problem.

uhhh. oregon .......... its a sham in the late 80's all those units were good I quit hunting oregon in 01 actually seven years ago today 9/11/01 I still spend money in the draws but not much happening there ! I spent some time in the pueblos a couple years ago deer were thin alot of goats toughI also found deer carcus in a cowboy camp before bow season?????.we went to the steens alot of goats and NO TRESSPASING signs. on the flats might be the way to go find a buck and be real nice to the land owner. good luck jack

Thanks for all of the info guys,
ended up scouting a day and a half before the season without seeing a deer,glassed the mornings and evenings and covering alot of ground in the middle of the day and talking to alot of people that had not seen anything,
we saw no deer opening morning and very few throughout the hunt
heard of three bucks shot in the unit. I got a 3x4 that was just over 20" wide, only saw that buck and very few does for 5 days of hunting felt like there were no deer around.

RE: Beatty's Butte

I had a friend that hunted that unit this year. In 10 days, the two of them only saw 4 does, no bucks. He has hunted Beatty's Butte before and has always tagged out so he knows the unit pretty well. In 2003 my dad and I both scored on nice 3 points, one 27" and one 23". We also passed on several small bucks that year.

I am sure glad I did not draw that tag this year.

Back
Top Bottom