Bedding Factory Synthetic Stocks

Meander

Is there a bedding material out there that can be used to bed an action to a factory Remington, Winchester, Ruger, etc... synthetic stock? I have a Remington 700 XCR and I'm not so sure the existing epoxy based bedding materials will stick to what appears to be more of a plastic stock than anything else. I've looked in Brownells catalog and found a product called ACRAGLAS. The description of the product claims that, "The bonding strength of ACRAGLAS is phenomenal - will actually stick "anything to anything" (except certain poly-plastics).

Any suggestions would be helpful.

Acraglas will do it. If your stock interior is real slick, just rough up the surface with a rasp or sandpaper and the acraglas will stick to it. I have used acraglas on many synthetic stocks with no problems. Just be sure you use a liberal amount of release agent on the gun metal or you will find out how well acraglas will stick to a smooth surface.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Feb-27-10 AT 02:44PM (MST)[p]I have a book titled "Gunsmithing made easy" written by Bruce M Towsley. I have not tried to bed an injection molded stock but in the book it mentions an automobile adhesion promoter that helps paint stick to plastic. It is called "Bull dog adhesion promoter" and can be purchased at an auto parts store. The author states that every time he has used it prior to bedding the bedding compound has "stayed put". Hope this helps.

Just do as RELH says. even use a drill bit to drill some shallow angled holes for the bedding to ooze into, it'll stick, trust me!

I was going to reccomend the same thing REDDOG did. I actually bedded a synthetic stock with the Acra-glas that I modified to fit a 721. That was about 15 years ago and it's still holding strong. mtmuley

Marine tex is another good bedding compound. Either one does a great job. But if you don't know what you're doing I'd probably pay a gunsmith to do it for you and you know it will be done right.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom