Beefed up 30-06

Lhedrick1

Neccesary....no.

But.....suppose a guy wanted a 30-06 with more umph without jumping to a 300 WM.....is there such a cartridge?

30-06AI MAYBE with 26" barrel might gain what....100-150fps?

30 Gibbs seems a little hotter but a tad on the obsolete side.

The 8mm Mag speeds are very impressive. I think with a muzzle break the recoil might be tolerable. This caliber is intriguing though....is it a barrel burner like the STW or similar speed demons?

Maybe a muzzle break on the .300 WM is the ticket.

What say you?

Start 4-5 grains low and work up till you see sighns of pressure like a hard lifting bolt.
But, I think you may find this load a bit above average 06' performance.
WLR primers
57gr. R-17 powder
165 gr. Nosler BT
2,905fps with 24" barrel

That is a bit warm, but I get pressure problems at 58.5gr. in an 03 Springfield, so I backed off to 57.
That load is appropriate for most anything a guy wants to knock flat.

I certainly prefer a good heavy , .300 win mag though.
It is probably the best all around big game cartridge for most distance, and for deer to moose size game.
Easy to find good used rifles, ammo, and loading components.
It performs easily with 165-200gr. bullets with no compromise in trajectory really between them.
Good recoil pad and a 12# rifle weight tames the recoil enough for most.
But a break does make it much more pleasant.
I like 180gr bullets out of mine. They are heavy enough for anything I want to hunt.

My 30-06 is an old 1917 Eddystone. Its a tack driver, 2" groups at 200 yards with A PEEP SIGHT!

But it's so old I don't dare try to load up. I shoot 55 grains of H4831 and a 200 grain Partition. Probably slow as hell but I would imagine would put a hurtin on anything within 200 yards.

I abbreviated wrong....I meant a 300 WBY. The 300 Win is a tad slower but the recoil has to be noticably lighter than the Roy right?

Just depends how in-depth you want to get with your reloading process. I would just rebarrel it to something like a 300 winny, 30 nosler or 300 prc if you're set on a 30 cal. Throw a break on it and you will be fine. I used to be a big 30 fan boy until i progressed as a shooter and reloader and the 6.5mm came into my life. I've found a 6.5x284 Norma with a 147 eldm kills everything in the west and is much more enjoyable to shoot than my 300 RUM and 300 win.

Coloradoboy

Yes, 200gr out of an 06' is going be relatively slow.
Sounds like your worried about stepping up to more recoil.
Those 200gr make the 30-06 a bit stiff with recoil compared to 165 or 150gr bullets.
You may want to try a different load before you go with a whole new cartridge.
There are lots of great cartridges out there.
But the 30-06 is definitely one of the greats.
300 win mag and 300 wetherby are very similar recoil. The biggest difference between the two isn't much in velocity, just more money for brass and loaded ammo.

I feel the 06 is a pussycat to shoot compared to the Weatherby, even with 200 grain bullets.

The eye opener was my dad's 280 AI with a muzzle brake. After shooting that, there is no reason to put up with any recoil of any kind. I would say it's recoil is equivalent to a 243. Definately less than my 257 Wby.

I shot my .300 win mag for many many years without a break. The recoil doesn't bother me.
But, I now shoot it with a break.
It's much nicer to be able to see impacts now with the tamming the break does on muzzle rise.
Better than aiming in on a deer, pulling the trigger, then wondering what exactly happened after the shot.
Did it go straight down as usual? Or run into the brush and go down who knows where.
I only use that rifle where long shots are likely.
Wouldn't want a loud braked gun for fast shooting in the deep woods or timber.
I use my .260 for close work in the thick.

I noticed that tonight shooting the 30-06 and 7mm mag. The 30-06 is easy to follow through with. Muzzle barely lifts. The 7mm jumps just a tad but can still follow through on the shot. The 300 Weatherby....forget about it. Doesn't neccesarily kick where it bites you but that explosion is pretty hard to keep down. Even my 257 jumps a little bit.

First....here it comes...you really can't improve on a turtty aught six...no way, no how, you betcha.

Hornady...makes Superperformance ammo. It has a few 100 fps on a standard load.
https://www.hornady.com/support/faq...t-magnum-and-heavy-magnum-lines-of-ammunition

It has a: 150 at 3,080, 165 at 2,940fps and 180 at 2,820.

https://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance#!/

I would not buy anything that requires reloading.

300 Ruger...which appears to be a dieing caliber as Ruger doesn't chamber for it (according to their website).

John 14:6

lol....this thread is just comical....talk about trying to reinvent a wheel that has been reinvented thousands of times already......

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I have a 30-06 A.I. with a 26" barrel and it's the cats azz. You will get more than 150 fps better than a standard '06 and much more than factory 30-06 loads. The standard 30-06 can be improved upon much more than factory ammo just by reloading. Saami specs max chamber pressure at 60,000psi and most factory ammo is below that due to worries of older and weaker rifles, specifically a batch of 1917 enfields that were improperly heat treated. Compare 60,000 psi for the '06 to 65,000 psi of the .270wcf, yet they are both based from the same cartridge. If you bump up '06 pressures to 65,000psi (which any modern rifle will handle) you increase performance.

I love Ackleys. You can still fire factory ammo, they give more performance than the standard round and you don't need to trim brass nearly as often. A couple more reasons I like the '06 Ackley is you will never have a hard time finding brass and it will hold more rounds in the magazine than a magnum rifle will.

One warning about Ackleys, the case capacity increase comes from changing the shoulder and by blowing out the sidewalls. Whenever you have a straight wall cartridge it will be harder to read pressure signs and they can sneak up on you. On the plus side the straight wall of an Ackley will produce less bolt thrust than a tapered case will.

>Start 4-5 grains low and work
>up till you see sighns
>of pressure like a hard
>lifting bolt.
>But, I think you may find
>this load a bit above
>average 06' performance.
>WLR primers
>57gr. R-17 powder
>165 gr. Nosler BT
>2,905fps with 24" barrel
>
>That is a bit warm, but
>I get pressure problems at
>58.5gr. in an 03 Springfield,
>so I backed off to
>57.
>That load is appropriate for most
>anything a guy wants to
>knock flat.

Pretty well mirrors my experience with that recipe. A 25" Bartlein yielded 2920 with a 165 grain bullet.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom