Beginner

browland

So I drew a tag for unit 34 in New Mexico I haven't been hunting since I was 14 and I'm using a bow to my first time in a long time to see if anyone can give me little guidance on the area or any pointers that could help out it would be very much appreciated I want to take my daughter with me she's starting to get excited just off my energy. I'd like to give her a little bit more help and get more into it than what I was able to when I was young with my father

Practice practice practice on that bow until you are good to 50 yards. Bring her with you each time you go and you might want to think about getting her a bow to shoot at the same time to get her more interested.
She will get more interested the more she sees you get excited. I have my Granddaughter now getting into deer hunting. Bought her a new rifle for Christmas so she can shoot when her Dad and I go. Yesterday she told me she now wants to get a tag and hunt.
So phase on complete she is interested.

slow down when stalking around in an area you think or know holds deer! if you blow them out they may not come back and therefore you have to start over finding them!

Better Late than Loud is my motto while walking around in deer country.
It is beneficial to watch deer behavior while not hunting, say before your tag starts, to learn their behaviors without the "need" to get after them ASAP ... watch them in an area you cannot hunt, etc. This was very helpful to me in the early days of chasing mulies. Read all the books you can - i would have you start with Valerius Geist's Mule deer country, and David Long's Public land Mulies. Good luck!!!

slow down when stalking around in an area you think or know holds deer! if you blow them out they may not come back and therefore you have to start over finding them!

Better Late than Loud is my motto while walking around in deer country.
It is beneficial to watch deer behavior while not hunting, say before your tag starts, to learn their behaviors without the "need" to get after them ASAP ... watch them in an area you cannot hunt, etc. This was very helpful to me in the early days of chasing mulies. Read all the books you can - i would have you start with Valerius Geist's Mule deer country, and David Long's Public land Mulies. Good luck!!!
Thank you!! Much appreciated

Practice practice practice on that bow until you are good to 50 yards. Bring her with you each time you go and you might want to think about getting her a bow to shoot at the same time to get her more interested.
She will get more interested the more she sees you get excited. I have my Granddaughter now getting into deer hunting. Bought her a new rifle for Christmas so she can shoot when her Dad and I go. Yesterday she told me she now wants to get a tag and hunt.
So phase on complete she is interested.
Thank You!!

Some good advice on here. Make it about the whole experience and not just the kill with your daughter. Enjoy the time.

I prefer to stalk into 40-70 yards while they are bedded mid morning and try to be ready when they shift beds in the middle of the day. Archery hunting mule deer is no joke but what a rush it can be. Good luck.

Walk with a detached quiver like the old recurve days if you can hear your arrows rattling your walking too fast.Make the wind your friend and stop often look listen then move again.Good luck.

Knock on doors in the subdivision on the North side of Cloudcroft until you find someone willing to let you sit their bird feeder. Jokes aside, I've seen far more deer on the North side of 34 than the rest. Be aware of the Mescalero and private boundaries. Liability Disclosure: I've never had a 34 deer tag or sat a bird feeder.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom