Bench Press

G-Hought3

Ok so I have heard about even on this topic and I want to know what the real answer is. Some people say not to touch your chest when benching, but to only go to 90 because anything past that puts too much stress on your shoulders. Others say touching your chest builds more muscle mass and other things like this. Which is true? Or are they both?
bowhunter3,
Go big or go home

anarol
Anabolicum Vister (Quinbolone)
Anadrol ? (oxymetholone)
Anadur (nandrolone hexylphenylpropionate)
Anavar (oxandrolone)
Andriol (testosterone undecanoate)
AndroGel? (testosterone)
Cheque Drops (mibolerone)
Danocrine (danozol)
Deca Durabolin (nandrolone decanoate)
Dianabol (methandrostenolone)
Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
Dynabolon, boldenone undecylenate, formebolone
Finaplix (trenbolone acetate), fluoxymesterone, nandrolone laureate, drostanolone propionate, Megagrisevit Mono, MENT Ac, Methandriol Dipropionate
Methyltestosterone, methyltrienolone.........
any of these will work...............

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

As a young athlete, most of my weight lifting was done from the field to the barn but i've had more than a few sessions with free weights. I always bounced the bar off my chest. If that or not is the correct way, not sure but it's the way we did it!

As a side note, at 55 yrs old and feeling some older at times, was able to bench 300lbs a couple times the other night at a buds house. I hadn't pushed a weight in near 20 yrs and at a time or two could do much more but that was plenty for me now, like riding a bicycle. :)

Joey

The way the USC football player did it was NOT the right way!!!

Slamdunk & stinkystomper are the resident bodybuilders here, maybe one of them will see this and give us the right answer.

Bring it down and just touch your chest, no bounce what so ever and then bring your arms up till they just lock, and repeat till failure, also keep your rear firmly planted on the bench. The quickest way to hurt yourself besides not being warmed up is to have poor form and cheat.

My last set is 295lbs for 6-7 reps depending on the day, not bad for a 43yld, 185lb flat lander.

Im super impressed by the 300lbs at the age of 55, way to go.

I have heard both theories on bench pressing and have done a fair share of it myself. In competetion lifting the athlete must control the bar without any aid all the way down to his or her chest then proceed to lift the bar until the elbows are straight (note: not necesarily "locked out"). You shouldn't "bounce it off your chest" either, I have seen a sternum broken from this and while when I was younger I too did this technique and really you are cheating your muscles if allow this to happen.

Now assuming the lifting you are doing is not competition but strength conditioning you have to analyze your goals in each lift you do. What do you want the lift to accomplish? If you take the bar all the way down to your chest you are involving the shoulder muscles and I guess if the weight is too great then yes this could cause stress to your shoulder. If you only take the bar down to where your elbows create a 90 degree angle then you are isolating your chest muscles a little more but you are not eliminating the use of your shoulder muscles altogether and there is still stress being put on the shoulder. Most people who do the 90 degree bench press do so with moderate to heavy weights and do short, explosive and rapid 10-12 rep sets. It is as much an aerobic lift as it is anaerobic. This is why when you watch the NFL Combine you see the players doing as many reps with 225 lbs as possible - but then again they have to touch their chest with the bar each time, but the principle is the same. They are trying to show their explosive, aerobic and anaerobic strength in their chest and shoulders over a sustained period of time, more of a plyometric exercise if you will.

When you take the bar all the way down to your chest you should control the weight all the way down in a slow controlled motion. Too many people just drop the weight down, causing the bouncing described earlier. This is as much a part of the lift as the press is, then you should control the weight all the way back up. If you do this right, you are typically using light to moderate weights in sets of 8 - 10 reps with heavier weights being done in sets of 4-6 reps. This will build longer, leaner muscles but will take longer to build strength. If you really want to build strength and buld in a short period of time then you need to do a combination of both and do complimentary shoulder exercises that will allow you to build the stength necessary to bench press without damaging your shoulder because it is going to cause stress either way.

So the answer really is yes and no depending on your strength and conditioning goals but again, you are not going to avoid putting stress on your shoulder altogether. I say take it all the way down to your chest and take advantage of the full range of motion and exercise your chest, arm and shoulder muscle groups. That is why the bench press is such a popular and important lift, because you are using so many different muscle groups all at once. If you only go down to 90, you are limiting the muscle groups being used and also limiting your range of motion. If your shoulders are hurting when you bench press going all the way down to your chest, back off on the weights and do more controlled presses or consider dumbell bench presses. Take two full seconds to bring the bar to your chest breathing in all the way down, rest one second and the press it back up in one second. The weight has to be enough to challenge your muscles but not too much that you can't complete a 4-6 sets of 8-12 reps. You should handle as much as you possibly can while still maintaining proper technique. If you do the technique correctly then you won't over stress any part of your body.

UTROY
Proverbs 21:19 (why I hunt!)

In a full range of motion bench (down to your chest and back up to lock)...From your chest to 90 will hit your chest and shoulders. From 90 to lockout will hit your triceps more. If you can't go down to your chest because your shoulders hurt, you should be benching. Both of my rotator cuffs have been partially torn since college, and I go down all the way.

Also, the closer the grip, the more concentration on triceps and less strain on your shoulders. Wider grip puts more strain on shoulders, but enables less motion; which subsequently allows for a heavier bench.

Be safe, make sure you dont drop the bar on your neck, like that guy at USC

"...I'd rather be tried by twelve than carried by six..."

Ok here's my .02 for what it's worth.

Do NOT touch the bar to your chest!
What that does is causes too much stress on your shoulder and it takes the emphasis off your pecks during that point.
Many powerlifters will actually put a 4" block on their chest and just barely touch it with the bar, then press up.
(also don't lock out at the top, your cheating if you do)
Touching your chest can also make you weaker at the bottom because you can get in a bad habit of "bouncing" off which gives you a little extra boost at the bottom...again raising the potential for an injury.
I promise you that if you'll get in a habit of stopping about 4" from your chest, you WILL get a lot stronger on your presses in time. ;-)
Good luck and lift smart!!

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

mmmm, gonna have to disagree with ya Slammer!

Depending on form and weight, sure going down to your chest could be tough on your shoulders. However, I think it offers a better range of motion and a good stretch on the negative. I do agree that it COULD lead to the habit of bouncing the bar; but as long as you're controlled in your movement/weight (and not showing off!!) no bouncing should be needed or occur. If the OP is going for #s then bad habits could form with additional range of movement.

Also, I don't think we should bring powerlifters into the mix. I've been around them all my life (my dad and all of his circa 1980s buddies), and have alot of respect for what they do; but there's a reason why they are held together with screws/stitches/plates/rods/synthetic joints/wraps/braces/painkillers.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-09 AT 10:56AM (MST)[p]I think it is ok to touch the bar to your chest. Having been in the business at the pro and collegiate level since 1981, I haven't seen any research (nor anecdotal evidence) which indicates that touching your chest puts an increased injury risk on your shoulders.

I think that, depending on your sep/rep/intensity pattern, bringing the bar to your chest can help increase mass.

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

I can respect anyones idea of how to train and have trained both ways.
But after looking into it and studying the body's muscles and how they work, going down to the chest with the bar most definately takes emphasis OFF the pecks at that point and throws it all on the front of the shoulder.
I am a competitive bodybuilder, but learned the 4" rule from a local powerlifting champ. Ever since i have been taking his advice and learned the mechanics of that muscle group, he's dead spot on ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

>anarol
>Anabolicum Vister (Quinbolone)
>Anadrol ? (oxymetholone)
>Anadur (nandrolone hexylphenylpropionate)
>Anavar (oxandrolone)
>Andriol (testosterone undecanoate)
>AndroGel? (testosterone)
>Cheque Drops (mibolerone)
>Danocrine (danozol)
>Deca Durabolin (nandrolone decanoate)
>Dianabol (methandrostenolone)
>Dihydrotestosterone (DHT)
>Dynabolon, boldenone undecylenate, formebolone
>Finaplix (trenbolone acetate), fluoxymesterone, nandrolone laureate,
>drostanolone propionate, Megagrisevit Mono, MENT
>Ac, Methandriol Dipropionate
>Methyltestosterone, methyltrienolone.........
>any of these will work...............
>
>
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

>
>rackmaster

Yeah but he wants to build muscle....Not shorten his pecker!

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Cheers to ya slammy!!! I suppose it depends on what the OP is going for..definition, overall health, strength, power, size, bodybuilding, powerlifting, etc...Different strokes for different folks.

I'm no bodybuilder or powerlifter; but I've played at collegiate and semi-pro level of sports and been in gyms since chicks were wearing leotards, leg warmers, and pumps. Personally, I go for the fullest range of motion possible. I think it promotes overall flexibility, fluidity of muscle developement and growth, and minimizes/deters chances of injury.

Like I said, I have respect for powerlifters. However, I don't think their techniques (high weight, low reps, short ROM) is proper for 99% of the population.

Being in the competitive BB world and doing shows, i have learned to "spot train" muscle groups to get them to be the fullest they can be.
Same thing goes with training quads...if you go all the way down past flat, you take the emphasis OFF the quads and transfer it to the hambstrgings and glutes.
Same concept with the chest/shoulders :)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Oh gawd...please don't force slam into showing the banana hammock picture.....LOL

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Agreed. Isolation movements vs compound movements.

However, being that the barbell bench is a compound movement, why would we want to make it an isolation movement? I am a huge proponent of lift variations(negatives, halfs, quick-reps, etc.) to break plateaus and attain goals; but for everyday training/trainees I think more standard movements are better.

Like I said, I love lift variations for specific and/or advanced goals. But, considering the OP is asking a forum about benching, tells me his goals are not probably not specific or advanced. :)

>As a young athlete, most of
>my weight lifting was done
>from the field to the
>barn but i've had more
>than a few sessions with
>free weights. I always bounced
>the bar off my chest.
>If that or not is
>the correct way, not sure
>but it's the way we
>did it!
>
>As a side note, at 55
>yrs old and feeling some
>older at times, was able
>to bench 300lbs a couple
>times the other night at
>a buds house. I hadn't
>pushed a weight in near
>20 yrs and at a
>time or two could do
>much more but that was
>plenty for me now, like
>riding a bicycle. :)
>
>Joey

300 lbs!!! Note to self, dont get in an argument with sageadvice.

Very good point BG and i totally respect that answer, it's spot on.
But....for ME, even my compound excersizes are treated as an isolation as for the reason mentioned in my previous...i train every body part as as "isolation".
I train my front delts by them selves by doing front raises, therfore i leave the "stretch" alone on bench night ;-)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

........or you could just buy fake ones like i did!!! I LOVE the results! LMAO.....you boys kill me![font size="22"]

[/font]

>........or you could just buy fake
>ones like i did!!!
>I LOVE the results!
>LMAO.....you boys kill me![font size="22"]
>
>
>
>
>[/font]

Show us QT.. NOT YOU SLAM...LOL

worthless.jpg

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

I'm glad we're on the same page slammer. Like you, I isolate, even though I'm doing compound movements. So understood....

QTPie...what a tease!!! Come on!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-30-09 AT 04:49PM (MST)[p]Yea, I'm ok with differing opinons too; I suppose it all depends on perspective. Your perspective is great for the BB'er, most certainly a legitimate sport.

However, I have never seen or heard of a pro or collegiate strength coach who instructs anything but going down to the chest at about nipple level. I do agree about the pectoralis major not being as involved at that point...but, strength coaches take a different tact than you do. FWIW, the p. major's job is to move the upper arm across the chest, which is why chest flys are so effective. The p. minor (sort of a flat muscle under the major) is designed to move the shoulder area forward...it does get a workout during a BP.

'Course, if you had a real man's chest, your pecs would stick out 4" above the midline of your chest and you wouldn't have to worry about it. :)

>I can respect anyones idea of
>how to train and have
>trained both ways.
>But after looking into it and
>studying the body's muscles and
>how they work, going down
>to the chest with the
>bar most definately takes emphasis
>OFF the pecks at that
>point and throws it all
>on the front of the
>shoulder.
>I am a competitive bodybuilder, but
>learned the 4" rule from
>a local powerlifting champ. Ever
>since i have been taking
>his advice and learned the
>mechanics of that muscle group,
>he's dead spot on ;-)
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Compromise, hell! ... If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?

Slammy is spot on with the no touch the chest policy. I hired a personal trainer a few years back. that was about the time my bench was around 350. (all the way down and up). My shoulder was killing me and I couldn't lift my arm at all. He told me to not go all the way down and explained why. Well he worked my max up to 410 and after that I started going all the way down again. I ended up not being able to lift for 6 months. I went to an orthopedic surgeon who happens to work on the athletes for the texas rangers and most of the top athletes in the big 12 in Texas. He mri'd my shoulder to discover my clavical had separated from my shoulder and needed scoped. He said the reason was a bench press in which I went all the way down. He said going all the way down isn't so bad for competitions and an every once in a while type situation but not every time. He said every shoulder out there with enough weight on the bar and enough time will result in this separation and is a very common injury amongst athletes who train religiously and heavy. He put me through rehab and basically taught me to re-bench. The movement had me put a 2x4 on my chest and touch the weight to it then come short of locking out the elbows at the top. Slammy explained earlier why you do this and the benefits of doing it. Since I switched to this form my bench has gone well over the 490 mark in my two bulking phases each year. I have no shoulder pains now and enjoy pain free workouts with the exception of skull crushers which have resulted in massive tendonitis which is a whole other issue. Anyways...... thats just my two cents. However I will never go all the way down again. Now that I know what to feel for I can definitely tell it puts too much emphasis on stretching the ligaments in the shoulder and theres no reason to ever work on stretching those tendons in anyones shoulder.

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

silly liberals, paychecks are for workers!

I heard through the grapevine Rack can bench press 560 lbs.
A 280 lb chick in each hand.

we are YoungCountry, we like all kinds
of music and people, 'cause we do draw some lines'
no our hair is not orange,we don't wear chains and spikes
but we know how to have fun come Saturday night

I said in post #2 "I always bounced the bar off my chest."

I may have misstated or given the wrong impression there. Yes, i always did bring the bar down to my chest which was the starting point of the next press. The whole motion may look like i'm bouncing and actually may be a tad but the term "bounced" was used more figuratively than literally.

Some good ideas and good info put forth here. I can only speak of my own use and that of others i've worked out with. The 3 or 4" rule is new to me. I can see where there could be advantages.

Joey

Thoze is some big numbers boyz.
My best ever was 365.
My lil brother got a couple reps with 405.
IMO when you cross that 4 plate threshold you command respect.
Nice work.
HH

Going all the way down is why I have a lame right shoulder. About three years ago I was maxxing out with 415 lbs and a third of the way up some bad sh!t happend. I haven't been to a DR but I do know something is screwed up and I can't even pull a 50lb bow back.

sorry to hear about that mesquitehunter. Gotta get that fixed man!!
Alot of big #s have been thrown around today, and cheers to you guys for throwin em!!...I dont know, I guess I never really got hooked on the maxing out thing. To each his own...

Back in the late 60s I was attending Humboldt State University, majoring in Wildlife Managament. I was required to take a PE class, and the only one that fit my schedule was a weight lifting class, so I took it for a semester. Most of the guys in the class were on the football team.

By the end of the semester they were giving me a pretty wide berth.:) I only weighed 140, but I got an "A" in the class.

And that's how much I know about weight lifting.:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Back in the 60's????????? Did they have weights back then??? ROFDL!

Back in the 60's seriously???? and you know how to use a computer??? that would put you at like.............. uhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..........70 to 80 years old???

Hey founder, do we have a senior citizens forum???? ROFL

I'm just throwin ya crap eel. lol

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

Stinky! LOL! Back then we just tied rocks on each end of a stick! LOL!

Eel

Many years ago when I was powerlifting the rule was do not let the bar touch your chest and do not let it come to a stop and absolutely no jerking. I was doing reps of 330 lbs and singles of 380. I got carpal tunnel from it all and had to quit cold turkey.
Eric
famousfigures_abevigoda.gif

Ultra liberal, wolf loving, illiterate, gay, hippie midgets on crack piss me off!!!!

deerline.gif

Well I admit I never was able to bench that much weight....The good news is that I can lick my own eyebrows.....:)

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

The last time i only weighed 240 lbs i was the starting inside linebacker for the Univ of Arizona. After practice and meetings, i go to weight room, right next to the Football locker rm in MaKale Center, a proto-type Nautilus system of 18 different machines.

Each stand alone machine was intended to work different muscle groups and you'd sit, stand, lay down, or reach over, to put yourself in the proper position. Once thru each machine, as many reps as you could do at the setting you were presently on. If you could do a set of 20 or more, the trainer would note it and preset the machine at a higher weight for you during your next visit. Pretty neat really, the whole workout could be done in 20 minutes or less. There was not one single free weight in that rm.

After weights, i'd hit the swimming pool for my laps, shower, and later in the evening, get in 2-4 sets of tennis and/or racquetball. My usual partner was U of A's #1 woman's singles player who, after getting used to her game, i sometimes could beat.

To me, That was a great all around work out and a typical day. I felt in about as good a shape as a guy could possibly get.

Joey

ok don't bounce and take plenty of vitamin-d..........or a few pokes of....................
4ac478fc41f559ec.jpg

(10 weeks and 35lbs of mass later)
or you could just say..............................
4ac479f743050242.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!!

4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

Several years ago in the gym I saw a guy I know that weighed around 185 bench 415 three reps, all the way down. I was blown away!

He is a farrier and worked on some polo tour for years but came back home to stay about 5 yrs ago.

He has been putting shoes on my wife's horse since he has been home, I asked him if he was still lifting and he said no that a bad shoulder injury made him have to stop!

I have failed to mention that i don't even do a flat bar anymore due to my own personal shoulder tear.
I had on 410 was on my 3rd rep when i felt something fun at the start (bottom) of my positive push up.

Now i stick to all dumbell presses and watch myself in the mirrow on my negative so i just break flat with my arms just enough to get that stretch we talked about.....which still would leave me about 3-4" from touching if i had a bar :)

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

I'm noticing a trend?..just sayin?..pull off some weight guys!!!

Stinky
?..Well he worked my max up to 410 and after that I started going all the way down again. I ended up not being able to lift for 6 months??

MH
??I was maxxing out with 415 lbs and a third of the way up some bad sh!t happend?.?

Polarbear
??I was doing reps of 330 lbs and singles of 380. I got carpal tunnel from it all and had to quit cold turkey?.?

Slammy
?..I have failed to mention that i don't even do a flat bar anymore due to my own personal shoulder tear.
I had on 410 was on my 3rd rep??

Wow a lot of muscle-heads here. I'm starting to get a complex. So this may be a walk in the park for some of you. How many of you guys can:

Bench press (Barbell)100% of your body weight 42 times.
Barbell Curl 85% of your body weight 42 times.
Squat 150% of your body weight 42 times.

I will really be impressed by these results.

JR

LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-09 AT 07:53AM (MST)[p]I'm game. It was leg day yesterday, so I can't walk right now. I'll give it a shot next week though.

In college, my roommate and I used to do those types of contests. It made things fun. One of the hardest ones was:

Grab 20lb dumbbells, and knock out 15 shoulder presses
Drop down and do 15 pushups
Then do 14 of each
Then 13 of each...
And so on down to 1, all nonstop with no breaks. It hurts.

I used to be pretty good at 12oz. curls....Back in the day

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-02-09
>AT 07:53?AM (MST)

>
>I'm game. It was leg day
>yesterday, so I can't walk
>right now. I'll give it
>a shot next week though.
>
>
>In college, my roommate and I
>used to do those types
>of contests. It made things
>fun. One of the hardest
>ones was:
>
>Grab 20lb dumbbells, and knock out
>15 shoulder presses
>Drop down and do 15 pushups
>
>Then do 14 of each
>Then 13 of each...
>And so on down to 1,
>all nonstop with no breaks.
>It hurts.
>
>
>
>
>"...I'd rather be tried by twelve
>than carried by six..."

Hey BG-
Don't you ever let your ATP levels come back up before you do another set?
It's the key to growth man, C'mon!!
Just razzin ya buddy, we all train differently and whatever works, right?? ;-)

Snort-
On heavy days you can do 16's :9
48288e6577d023b6.jpg

>
>Hey BG-
>Don't you ever let your ATP
>levels come back up before
>you do another set?
>It's the key to growth man,
>C'mon!!
>Just razzin ya buddy, we all
>train differently and whatever works,
>right?? ;-)
>
>Snort-
>On heavy days you can do
>16's :9

Ha! Yeah, I know! That was back in the playing days when all I really cared about was aerobic stuff (college soccer..yeah i know, grass fairy, blah blah blah!). Man those days sucked!!!

Did I mention back in the day it was just you and the weights? No Muscle Milk or any of that other girly man stuff. Back then men were men though.

Eel

I'm seeing rackmaster post some very risque post's.... anadrol??? did you google that stuff or what???

I bet your taking stuff like human growth hormone every day, and test enenthate and test deconate and test cypionate and deca and anovar and trenbalone and winstrol at least every week huh?

I'm gonna quit googling you supplements and just stick to my high peanut butter diet.

I would never do anything like that but its quite comical you have the balls to post that stuff up. You kill me man.

Hey dougy doo? remember when I got in that contest a few months back with some guys at the gym over some loose change? I ended up only getting 425 9 times. I vividly remember you telling me that you were curious and went to the gym to test your bench and found you could still rep 5 plates twice. Uhhhhhhhhhh that's 495lbs. I think you still bench press you short term memoried meat head. I didn't know that stereroids caused memory loss! ROFL!

In case your wondering what I'm talking about you stated in a previous post you don't do flat bench barbell press's. lol

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

This is all well and good and I am impressed by your efforts, but I just have one question.

Why are Walter Payton and Jim Fix dead, while Keith Richards and Mick Jagger, still make a million dollars a month?

No no no sir Stinky, master of freebar benchpress, it seems YOU are suffering from a light case of Alzheimers ;-)

The 495 i did twice was on a plate loaded Hammer Strength press.
Remember our little chit chat about this very topic of blowing out your shoulders going extra heavy on a free bar??

My toungue is never twisted.... :p

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

OOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! You cheatin, lyin, sacka.................

And here I thought you were a benchpress god this whole time. Well so much for my man crush. I think I will be metrosexual by myself now. I can't believe you tried to make yourself out to be something you aren't. Heck, I could do 5 plates on the hammer strength machine with my......... well, I can't say that word on here but you know what I mean.

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

Sorry guys I have been in wyoming for the last six days deer hunting. But anyway thanks for all the comments! From the sounds of it i better stay about four inches off my chest most the time so I don't hurt my shoulders. Especially with the high school sports that i am involved in right now.
This summer when i started lifting I always touched my chest. I could only do about 135 though and that was about my weight. But once I got up to benching about 155 my shoulders started hurting a lot and my bench went clear back down to 135. I have always had bad shoulders so I talked to my physical therapist about what was going on. He said to try only going to about 90 degrees like many of you have said. Now about two months later my bench has gone up to about 235 3 times on a good day. I think thats pretty good for only weighing 145-150. :D
Once again thanks for all of your advice!!
bowhunter3,
Go big or go home

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom