Bent Barrel replacement worth it or not?

eshunt

So I made a mistake and happened to run over my rifle and bent my barrel on an elk hunt last season. Rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye 300WM. I am looking into options for replacing the barrel, but it seems like it will be $700-$800 min to get a new barrel and have a gunsmith install it on the action. The rifle is only about $800 new.

In the meantime I have been gifted a new Weatherby in 300WM.

Do I go ahead and replace the bent barrel with a new one in 300WM?

Or do I look at options for creating a custom rifle in a different caliber? 300RUM? Is the Ruger action worth putting the money into for this?

I already have .308, 7mm mag, .243, and access to 300 Weatheby Mag, 257 Weatherby mag, and a few others.

Use the Weatherby, that way you still have a 30 cal magnum. Use the rifle for a build of another caliber. Not sure what to build as you listed a lot of comparable cartridges. Maybe something unusual like an improved something or 338 cal.

If you want a usable rifle for the least dollars……I would send it to Ruger…..and I bet they’d put any barrel “cartridge” with that bolt face that they offer it in….

I agree with Homer. I’d contact Ruger and see what they can do for you. Given the cartridges you already have Id say 264Win mag.

Thanks for the replies. I have sent off an email to Ruger to see what options they have for barrel replacement in a different cartridge.

I like the idea of the 264 WM. My grandfather was a big fan of that round. I have an old 300 H&H of his that I am planning on getting a scope set up on as well.

The more I think about it, I probably don't need to go larger than 30 cal. With the 300 WM and 300 Weatherby Mag I would be able to shoot any large game I am planning on hunting. So, a smaller caliber that would make a good open country mule deer or antelope rifle is appealing. And my wife will most likely take advantage of the rifle more than me, so a little less recoil might be good as well.

Before you decide to re-barrel the rifle, find out what the action is worth. There are plenty of people that buy actions to make custom rifles, and they aren't trying to keep cost down on the overall build.
You could be a good part of the way to a new Hawkeye when you find out the going rate for the action.

Bill

Ruger got back to me already. They will only re-barrel in the exact caliber and length of the original firearm. They will not re-barrel in a different cartridge or caliber or length. Kind of disappointing.

So now it's time to do a little research on barrels. The only barrels I have looked at closely are the Lilja. Anyone have other barrel manufacturers to look at?

Ruger got back to me already. They will only re-barrel in the exact caliber and length of the original firearm. They will not re-barrel in a different cartridge or caliber or length. Kind of disappointing.

So now it's time to do a little research on barrels. The only barrels I have looked at closely are the Lilja. Anyone have other barrel manufacturers to look at?
Plenty of quality barrel manufacturers. I prefer Bartlein, Brux, Rock creek but whatever you can find in stock I’d say go for it.

Kind of tough to hold a straight edge and get a photo myself, but here is the barrel bending slightly away about 7-8 inches from the end of the barrel.
IMG_0826[1].JPG

And on the other side, you can see light between the barrel and the straight edge. With the straight edge touching the end of the barrel and back towards the crown. Once again tough, to get an accurate photo holding it myself.

IMG_0827[1].JPG

It's not much of a bend but plenty to throw shots around a corner.

I even pulled the scope off, mounted a different one on it to check and see if I could sight it in. No such luck.

Kind of tough to hold a straight edge and get a photo myself, but here is the barrel bending slightly away about 7-8 inches from the end of the barrel.
View attachment 74097

And on the other side, you can see light between the barrel and the straight edge. With the straight edge touching the end of the barrel and back towards the crown. Once again tough, to get an accurate photo holding it myself.

View attachment 74098

It's not much of a bend but plenty to throw shots around a corner.

I even pulled the scope off, mounted a different one on it to check and see if I could sight it in. No such luck.

Well that’s not good! I’m interested in the story behind this. Bending a barrel takes some force.

On a side note I’m pretty sure you can get a custom pre fit barrel for the Hawkeye. I think McGowen chambers them. You would just need someone to remove and install the new barrel if you don’t have access to the tools.

It was a stupid mistake on my part. Was on a cow hunt in Dec. Had just stalked in on a small group of elk and they gave us the slip. Ran back to the truck to see if we could get around to the other side of the mountain and relocate them before dark. I was always raised to never lean your rifle up against the truck, but I was in a hurry leaned the rifle against the front tire. Unlocked truck and threw pack and other gear into back seat of truck. Jumped in the truck, put it in reverse and started backing up. And I had forgot to grab my rifle.

As soon as I heard the thunk I knew what had happened. The ground was soft and spongy and I could see where the tire had ran over the front half of the barrel and pressed it into the soil. Nothing hard under it that I could see. Visual inspection seemed ok. But when I did fire it, couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.

It was a stupid mistake on my part. Was on a cow hunt in Dec. Had just stalked in on a small group of elk and they gave us the slip. Ran back to the truck to see if we could get around to the other side of the mountain and relocate them before dark. I was always raised to never lean your rifle up against the truck, but I was in a hurry leaned the rifle against the front tire. Unlocked truck and threw pack and other gear into back seat of truck. Jumped in the truck, put it in reverse and started backing up. And I had forgot to grab my rifle.

As soon as I heard the thunk I knew what had happened. The ground was soft and spongy and I could see where the tire had ran over the front half of the barrel and pressed it into the soil. Nothing hard under it that I could see. Visual inspection seemed ok. But when I did fire it, couldn't hit the broad side of the barn.

Had the same thing happen with a GPS unit. Set it on the truck hood forgot about it. I drove
off and it fell off and ran it over. Didn’t even realize it until I needed the GPS. ??‍♂️

Just adjust the scope, should still shoot as good as a ruger will shoot ?

On a serious note, I’d list it for sale for $300 and use the cash toward something else. Rugers aren’t real sought after donor actions but there’s always someone doing something weird out there with builds so I’m sure it would sell

Just adjust the scope, should still shoot as good as a ruger will shoot ?

On a serious note, I’d list it for sale for $300 and use the cash toward something else. Rugers aren’t real sought after donor actions but there’s always someone doing something weird out there with builds so I’m sure it would sell
I'm a fan of Ruger rifles. But then I'm not someone that needs to shoot a long ways or anything like that. People can bag on them all they want, but I like them. Well, unless it is the new Ruger Americans, I don't really care for those and wouldn't ever buy one.
I can use them as a hunting rifle and not worry about anything. And I've never had to send anything in to Ruger previously so I don't really know anything about their customer service. This F-up is my fault, nothing wrong with how the rifle was built or shot prior to my mistake.

I have a 338-06 AI on a Ruger M77 action. In the 90s, Ruger made a real nice target varmint rifle and my dad had one in 6mm ppc. We gave it to my brother in law when my dad passed on. The 338-06 is nice and it’s like you said, I don’t have to shoot 700 yards with it to have fun. I have other rifles for that if thåts what I want to do.

I had a favorite winchester model 70 that I ran over some 10 years ago. The rifle made an un-natural twang after each shot, much like a tuning fork. I rebarreled with a custom barrel, and was never happy with the rifle again. Just mediocre accuracy from a very expensive barrel. Have considered rebarreling again with a winchester factory take-off barrel, which are generally easy to find. In reality, I just moved on....

Either look for another factory Ruger barrel, or sell the action and don't look back.

Bill

I’ve never ran over a rifle but I always pack two for every hunt just in case I decide to run one over.

I remember one year on a deer hunt, I had a buck bust on me, I threw up the rifle and I missed a really close shot, not typical of the way I shoot. After examining the gun and the scope I realized the glass inside that Bushnell scope had become dislodged and the reticle was now an X instead of a +. We hunt some rough country and I’ve been known to fall down a time or two, that’s why I take two rifles to camp.

You got some good advice above, good luck.

So I made a mistake and happened to run over my rifle and bent my barrel on an elk hunt last season. Rifle is a Ruger Hawkeye 300WM. I am looking into options for replacing the barrel, but it seems like it will be $700-$800 min to get a new barrel and have a gunsmith install it on the action. The rifle is only about $800 new.

In the meantime I have been gifted a new Weatherby in 300WM.

Do I go ahead and replace the bent barrel with a new one in 300WM?

Or do I look at options for creating a custom rifle in a different caliber? 300RUM? Is the Ruger action worth putting the money into for this?

I already have .308, 7mm mag, .243, and access to 300 Weatheby Mag, 257 Weatherby mag, and a few others.
No problem. Just take a big chunk of firewood and beat the barrel against it until you get it straight.

That’s some high tech stuff right there! ?
Thanks. I learn something new everyday.

Last edited:
It sounds like you have lots of options and only you know what is best for you.
I had a Ruger M77 in a 257 Roberts but the barrel was shot out.
Zeke talked me into turning it into a 6.5x284 and now it's one of my favorite rifles.
I'm glad I listened to the Zekester!

Ruger is one of the best companies for taking care of their customers. They will probably put a new barrel on at no charge or very little. I would send it to them. ce61

You need to back to the scene of the crime, but this time, run over the scope and bend it match the barrel. Boom, you're welcome.

Seriously though, buy a Wilson. It's better than your factory barrel by a good bit, and will save you some dough.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom