Berger 230 great hybrid target

Mnbearhunter123

Does anyone have any experience hunting with these bullets? I've used them the last 2 years. They tend to make a mess of antelope (softball sized exit channels) Is that typical with Berger performance? Or is the fact that it is a target bullet, causing the over expansion and fragmention. The shoot great out of my 300 rum and I would like to take them on my bear hunt in September. I'm worried they will cause similar damage to a bear as on pronghorns, thus ruining the hide. Anyone with experience shooting bears with the 230s?

No experience with them, but they always seem to shoot tight groups.
I'm told by several, who do shoot them, that fragmentation is a real issue vs. accubonds or eldxs, especially at closer ranges. So if you will be in tight quarters with your bear, maybe look to something else? Good luck and hopefully those with experience will chime in.

Hmm, who would have thought that a giant frangible target bullet out of a huge cased magnum would do massive destruction to an 80 lb animal. Lol.

Yes that's what Berger's do, not really a meat hunters bullet. Great at killing animals though

2a0fcsk.gif

No experience with the 230s, but the 140 VLD out of my 6.5 Sherman performed great on two mulies and a cow elk last fall. I'll be shooting the 190's out of my 300 RUM this year, but I imagine I'll step up to something a little heavier next season.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom