Best 175-200 Yard Elk Load

Good questions,and I dont have all the answers. However, barnes MZ or spitzer boattails are my favorite for elk. I am using a barnes spitfire boattail 285 grains and 3 50gr pyrodex pellets. All I know is it is good/accurate for long range elk. However, some say the powder is more consistent. I killed my last bull elk with two 50gr and one 30 gr pellets pushing a 245 spitfire boattail by barnes. The elk was down in 35 yds from shot. However is was a little under 100 yds. This year at the caldera I may have a 150 plus yd shot and like the little extra weight of the 285.

The best one is the one that works for your gun. I am getting less than 1 MOA at 100 and 200 yards with both a 300 Gr Barnes MZ Expander and the 290 Gr TMZ with 120 Gr of BH209. This is at a chronographed 2000 fps. But this load might be a complete disaster in your gun.

Great advice. I know all about the right mixture being based on the gun. Right now I have tremendous accuracy out of my Knight Revolution shooting 300gr Hornady SSTs but I am looking for something with less expansion downrange.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom