best .270 bullet for elk

warpheagle

I have used 140 gr Hornady Premium bullets for Mule deer and whitetails, I am planning to elk hunt next year and was thinking about trying some of the 150 grain bullets in my Ruger #1. I am curious to know how the 150 gr groups compared to the 130 or 140 grain, and which bullet type you would suggest for elk. I do reload some if you have a good pet load. Thanks.

you cant go wrong with the accubond. i broke a bulls back last year, it mushroomed perfectly and stopped just under the hide on the far side. for deer and elk the high bc of the hornady sst is hard to beat.

10-20 grs aint gonna amount to a hill of beans (no offense BEANMAN).....I would be loading some barnes 130gr tsx's or other premium bullet and get to killin.

"A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."

The only way to know if 150s will shoot well in your rifle is to try it. If the 140s are shooting well, then I'd use those. I've worked up a 150 gr. NP load at 2900, I'm hopin to try it out this year.

shoot wht you have, it will kill them.

O--one
B--big
A--ass
M--mistake
A--america

Three of us in my hunting group have been using ganeric 140 Hornady SPBT bullets for years now on elk without having any problems. If you're currently using a quality bullet and you're happey with it I don't see any reason to change.

400bull

A good friend of mine is wild about the 140 gr. swift A-frame
He handloaded his, but they come in the rem. Safari-grade ammo

My .280 rem is only slightly larger in OD(.284 instead of .277) and the 160 Win. Fail safe loads made pass-throughs on 3 bulls and/or broke shoulder bones for clean kills.

I think most would agree that shot-placement is the key and when useing a marginal load(managed recoil/or short action loads on the light side of a 7mm-08) and a tough bullet
can give you some confidence if you catch the big bones of an elk

My vote is for the 130gr xbullet if they shoot accurate in your gun.

"Let's keep things in perspective.I mean for Peet's sake there are kids in Africa that don't even hunt....hello" Jimmy Big Time

Yeah, the 140 grain Nosler A/B shoot the best out of my 270 Win. 5 shot group about 1 inch..

I used 150 gr Nosler Partition on my oryx and dropped her with one shot. The shot placement is very different on oryx than on deer/elk and was told they could be a bit tough to anchor and 270 was almost on the light side , so I tried the 150 gr NP as they shot real well out of my barrel and used the rifle on a trip to TX prior to my oryx hunt. This bullet is just awesome for an over the counter bullet, I don't reload and not sure if you do but if not , this is a great built bullet that performs!

I like the 140 barnes tsx bullet out of my 270wsm. Used it one hunting season for elk... one shot kill. In the 7mm 160gr barnes tsx one shot kill also. I have a new .338 mag for next year and will try the 225gr A-frame!

Thank You Guys!! Not one mention of the Green Boxed 150 grain round nosed Remington Core-lokt. Got/Has to be The Absolute Worst, Piss Poor Designed, Crappy Flying, Energy Losing Bullet EVER!! Thank You!!!

Joey

At 270 win speeds any quality bullet will do the job . a 140 TSX, 150 Hornady interlock or 150 partition would be my choices.

I agree the core-lokt has to be the biggest waste of lead and copper in US firearms history. I'm surprised you can even buy them anywhere other than Walmart.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-11-10 AT 09:37AM (MST)[p]I agree the core-lokt are junk but for all my teenage years I would go to Wal-Mart before deer season and by a box of 130gr. Core-Lokts for my 270win. They were only like $11 a box then. I've killed lots of whitetails with them.

I've got tons of great memories from those days.

All the core-lockt bullets junk by todays standards, we have some great bullets anymore.

We take 5- 10 elk a year off my place and I remember the core-lokt days when I was a kid well. if they were close shots you had to clean the bullet out like #6 shot, if you recovered the elk at all . now days we all use either the TSX or the partition and the coyotes are the only ones who miss the core-lokt.

Good Morning Guys! Don't confuse the abilities of the Pointed Core-lokts, like the 130gr loading, with the 150 gr. round nose version. The Pointed Core-lokt, though not a great choice in today's bullets among several already mentioned way better choices, is a pretty fair Deer sized game getter and i'm sure lots of Elk have bit the dust if given the proper dose of them in the right place.

The 150 gr round nose version, of which i'm speaking, is pure junk!!

Joey

Cant go wrong with the 140gr Accubonds loaded with either h4831sc or rl22. Never tried the 150gr partions yet because the 140's shoot dime sized groups and are hammers!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom