best all around boot

L

lv4huntn

Wondering what you all think is the best all around boot for under $200? By all around I mean from spring to late fall. maybe a 400 gram insulation or maybe none at all? Thanks.
Dan

You might look at the Meindl Denali Hunting boot at Cabelas. I ordered a pair of these a few months ago and have used them so far for scouting to brake in, which they really don't need. They feel good out of the box, are not too heavy and come in right at $200. They run big so if you do order you might try a size down from your normal.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/t...ct&cmCat=Related_IPL_812335&id=0021192811980a

I recently purchased the Meindl Perfekt 7" Hikers. I hunt elk and mule deer here in NM and can tell you I think this is a great boot for the money (right at $200). They are waterproof, light and have the best support of any boot that I have worn. As mentioned above, the Meindle line of boots wear great right out of the box. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Meindle line of boots, especially backed by Cabela's reputation.

Enjoy your hunts.
LuckyFool

You can't go wrong with Meindls. I own both Danners and Meindls and have to say the Meindls are definatly top notch. Spring for the perfekt hunters (around $260 at Cabelas I believe) and you won't be disapointed!

I purchased a pair of Cabelas brand boots years ago. After many years they wore out. They were absolutely great for me. I went to Cabelas last year and purchased Meindls Ibex. I wore them on one hunt and thought they were great. I read all of what everyone had to say on this site before I bought them. I agree that you can't go wrong with Meindls.

Thanks for all the input. I looked seriously at the pronghorns and the meindls. I think I am going with the meindls. I let you know how they hold up. Thaks again.
Dan

I use to swear by Vasque boots, but the last two pairs of the GTX I bought had problems. I then learned that Vasques are now made in China, go figure, take one of the best made boots in the world and start making them in China and loose all your dedicated customers.
I now use Asolo Power Matic 400, great boot light and tuff.

There are only two types of people - The Hunters and the hunted,
I hunt.
Alchase

I have two styles of boots I wear, one is a leather boot made by Nick's I wear this boot early in the season before the weather turns. I also have a pair of Mendel Perfekt Hunters I wear when the weather gets cold and rainy. I highly recomend both these boots, i have owned a pair of Danners in the past and I will not buy another pair of them again. I love my Mendels and will be buying them again when these wear out.

Thats just my experience and opinion.

Good luck

Slide

+1 for the Lowa Sheep Hunters

Bought a pair and wore then around the house and while cutting the grass. Never did get any miles on them before heading out for a 12 mile hike-in to hunt Ptarmigan. Not a single problem. Great boots with great support.

I will have to echo all the Meindl comments. I sport the Alaskan hunters and they are incredible. I will never wear any other boot for high country hunting.

Over the last 15+ years I have owned Irish Setters, Rockys, Danners, Meindls, and now am wearing Kenetreks. So far the Kenetreks are hands down my favorites. So far they have been the most durable and most confortable. Meindls were #2, but had an annoying squeak in both boots when walking and when crouching down.

And you are aware that the squeek has been brought up multiple times and a solution to resolve the squeek. You wont go wrong with the mendls, but you just might with the others.
T

Danner Quarry GTX-(actually the new one is called the Quarry 2.0) 8 or 6 inch boot, black or brown. No break in time, waterproof, comfortable but tough. You can get it with or without Thinsulate insulation and plain or work toes. It wears so well that it is classified as a work boot. I love this boot. Go anywhere and do anything. If you need more insulation for cold weather go with the Santiam.

Good luck.

Wade
hardcoreoutdoor.com

The Meindl Alaska Hiker (8 inch) is an excellent boot and one of my favorites but it is out of the $200 range you mentioned. Same goes for the Lowa.

30 years of experience with boots has taught me that you get what you pay for and you have to make sure that they fit correctly. Most people wear boots that are too tight and that causes a lot of problems. Take your time and try a lot of them on with ther same socks you will wear. Try Smartwools.

Good luck.

Wade
hardcoreoutdoor.com

My personal favorite.

Merrell Reflex Mid GORE-TEX?

$119.95

4726bded5c9509da.jpg

buck1.gif

Later, Brandon

big plus 1 for the pronghorns those a great boots, lots of support, light and tough as nails (stand up to the miles put on hunting chukar in NV rim rock with only some cosmetic nicks, and like they say the ladies dig scars :D)

Dude, those are tennis shoes . . . or, in your case, work shoes, I'll bet you even wear those on the beat dont you?

I vote for meindl - i have the perfect, alaskan, and canadians, and had a pair of sheep hunters, I like them all. . . I must say however that for "all-around" boot, i'll go with the Perfect hunter. . . It's not the most rugged, but it is the most comfortabel and can handle the rocks, but not as well as the alalkas. I can hunt/wear the perfect's for days and my feet still feel good.

Several good boots. I've got the Meindels; for the easier hunts. The top of the line (used to be elk hunter) from Danner are the ones I like for the seriously-steep, icey and snowy things that Idaho's backcountry has to throw at you. A real consideration is that the danner bob soles offer GREAT traction, when you really need it. Those soles wear a little, but when it's dark, icy, steep and 15 miles to the truck...I don't slip and twist something.

+ 1 on the Danner Pronghorn.

I bought my first pair of zero thinsulate pronghorns 5 years ago and finally blew a hole in them last fall. Left the mountain that day and bought me another pair of them. I used them for all of my spring-late fall mountain excursions. This time I will keep them oiled up and probably get a couple more years from them.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

meindl perfect hunters, bought my third pair today. The alaskan seems to run a little bigger than the size.

Not the danner Pronghorns, I've had 2 pairs both leaked and one squeaked really bad..

I actually have a aet of hi-tek peak 2's that the rep gave me.. Would have never bought them, but they have worked flawlessly through water, steep and deep, etc.. They never quit

I recommend that you go to a hunting store, nearest you, and try on these boots that everyone is talking about. I can wear certain boots better than others. Danner' fit real nice. The Meindl's are real good also but a little noisey when walking. Rockies just are plain lousy and a bad fit for me. So, I would recommend you trying them on first and then make your decision. It's better than wasting money on something you won't wear. Also, spend the money, they will last for years to come with care.

If you're spending $200, spend a few bucks more and get the Meindls. I have three pair at the moment and I'm about to get a forth. I've had all the others, including danner and vasque. Nothing touches Meindl. Best non custom boot out there that I've tried. Lowa Sheephunters are also the cats arse, but never tried them.

DANNER PRONGHORNS

I am on my fifth pair in 3 years. I play hard and work harder so I get through some boots. I wear these every day. Here are some reasons I like them.

1. Never leaked, ever
2. Light as any boot made, check and see for yourself
3. 10" tall to keep out water and debris
4. Durable and last
5. Excellent traction
6. Available in any level of insulation

I could go on and on but you should look on cabelas.com for yourself.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Danner Quarry 2.0 Plain Toe 8 inch Gore-Tex with Danner Merino Wool Flashpoint socks or Smart Wool Socks. Awesome, mid price set up. Actually my favorites and I own them all!

Wade Nelson
Editor
HardcoreOutdoor.com

Danner Quarry is a durable boot. Heavy though. In fact almost twice that of the Pronghorns. I backpack in for hunts up to 20 miles and picking up an extra pound per foot for each step I take is just not an option.

Meindel is heavy as well. Try to find a Meindel that is 10 inches tall that is lighter than the Danner Pronghorn. Meindel will last longer but you will pay for it up front in cash and then you will pay for it in weight with each step.

Strongest boot - something made for logging
Longest lasting boot - something made of steel

BEST ALL AROUND BOOT - something felxible, reasonable priced, waterproof, lightweight, with a great feel to keep your foot happy for miles, breatheable........Danner Pronghorn.

"One nation, under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

Now remember that he said under $200 so that limits things. I can get you into a great boot, lighter than the Quarry and tough as a goat from Lowa, Scarpa, or Kayland but they exced $200.

I really like the Pronghorn but it is a lightweight boot. Heavy loads and long humps require heavier, sturdier boots in my experience. I have also had some penetration issues in cactus country with my Pronghorns.

I like the Meindls (Cabelas 8 inch version) but boy they are stiff, heavy and hard soled. I own plastic mountaineering boots that are not as stiff as te Meindl. I like them, they are hardcore but man, they are hard. A Danner Super Rainforest or Talus is as tough but easier on the feet.

As far as longevity, I have over 300 Arizona search and rescue missions on one pair of Danner Special Forces (now the Recon) boots so I will stack the higher end, American made Danner boots up against anybody. I own them all (because I get most of them for free) but when the bell rings, I wear Danner.

Wade Nelson
Editor
HardcoreOutdoor.com

DITTO on the Danners. i own three pair. had a problem with one pair and Danner took care of it no problem. sent me a brand new pair. i use Danner socks too.

Oh I love my Danner Merino Wool Flashpoint socks. The are the only over the calf sock I own that actually stays up and so far, after a years worth of wearing, not even a hot spot.

Like I said, there are so many good boots out there it is hard to say which is the best but there are a half dozen solid names out there that continuously put out great boots and they stand behind them. I am a pretty firm believer in the you get what you pay for philosophy, especially with boots. Danners American made, upper end boots are pretty good. Their cheaper foreign jobs fill a market space but they are not for me, I would not depend on them.

Take care.

Wade Nelson
Editor
Hardcoreoutdoor.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom