best all around caliber

T

threelemonbob

I like the .264 and the 25-06 the .270 the 7mm and the .300. What i want to know is what you guys think the best deer/elk caliber is and why (which lead weight powder or which factory load). I've heard that the best shock comes at 3200 fps and above but for some of these calibers that speed is hard to get. I like the 25-06 with the 115 grain combined technology shooting at 3150-3200 fps and the 7mm 150 grain combined technology shooting at 3200 fps. Also in the 7mm the 162 hornaday factory load shoots unreal in my gun. My uncles all shoot .300's with 180 and 190 grain leads at close to 3200 fps. This will all come down to personal preference so lets hear what you guys think.

there ain't no such thing as a best cartridge. a gutshot is a gutshot. doesn't matter how big the hole. same as a lung or heart shot. hit em where it counts and they die quick. only time bonecrushing energy is needed is to stop charging dangerous game in it's tracks. use what you're comfortable with. i use my ol' .270 with my own special handloads for most things, but i will pack a .300 mag for elk sometimes. again with some real hot reloads. more worried about trajectory than anything. if i hit it right, it's gonna die. just as well argue fords and chevys or packers/cowboys. i wouldn't want to hunt elk with a .22/250, but i would if i had to. wouldn't bother me bit for deer. just use the right bullet and hit where it counts.

My favorite gun at this time (I say that because something I like better may come around next year and that may be my favorite)is the 300RUM with 180gr Nosler Partition Golds and 90 gr of IMR powder. 3500fps. All kind of knock down.
Before that my favorite was my Klien Gunther .270 a real tack driver.
Before that was my 7mm Mag.
Before that was my 3006
Before that was my Ruger No. 1 in .270
I think the gun I would like next would be the Lazzeroni in the .338 Titan. In the L2000SA mountain rifle. Toped with a Swarovski AV 3x10x42.
Sorry, I got excited.

"We must HUNT"

>
>What i
>want to know is what
>you guys think the best
>deer/elk caliber is and why
>(which lead weight powder or
>which factory load).

Howdy,

If I understand your question correctly, my choice would either be 30 caliber or 28 caliber ( most accurately called 7mm.) As for cartridges in those calibers, my choices in 30 would be the Winchester magnum, the WSM, and the venerable .30-06.

As for cartridges in the 7mm., my choices would be the Rem. mag. STW, WSM, and the .280.

Both calibers can take care of North American game up to and including moose. I don't think I would venture into BIG BEAR country with them though!

My .02.

Coach

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom