Best AR15 compatible cartridge for hunting?

IS41

I am just getting into hunting and would like to convert my AR15 to a legal hunting caliber for hunting deer and elk. But I need advice on what what are the most important considerations in selecting a new caliber for these large game. Especially since there seems to be dozens of different options out there.

So far I am most familiar with the technical aspects of:
6.5 Grendel.
6.8 SPC
7.62x39.
.458 Socom, .450 Bushmaster, .50 Beowulf.
.300 blackout

But it's hard to make a decision about what to go for if I'm not sure what aspect of the cartridge is most important to emphasize for elk hunting.

What is the maximum range I could expect to be able to take a shot at an elk? I have the ability to hit accurately, I just don't know if there would be any hunting grounds in western washington that actually give me an opportunity to stretch out to that distance.
Although I plan to initially only learn to hunt in lower altitude areas of western washington (where I generally expect dense vegetation and forest), I wouldn't rule out the possibility of hunting in eastern washington or higher up in the mountains at some point in the future - so having a round that is effective at range would be nice so I can have a more well rounded general purpose hunting cartridge. I'd rather not need to buy multiple specialized rounds for multiple types of big game and multiple different regional landscape conditions.

If long range work is viable, the 6.5 Grendel may be the way to go. Otherwise the 6.8 or 7.62x39 might offer more stopping power at shorter ranges. I don't really know how the Grendel is when it comes to terminal ballistics, I just know it's suppose to be very accurate against paper. The Grendel might be my go-to cartridge if I was convinced that it penetrated and hit just as hard as the 6.8 or 7.62x39, or other similar intermediate range cartridges with heavy grain weights.

I tend to assume the .458, .450, .50 style cartridges would probably be superior one shot stoppers if I'm only taking short range shots (100m or less) in a forest, and superior for going through thick brush without being deflected, but I don't really know for sure how it compares with 6.5 and 6.8. But then by doing that I think I might be giving up a lot of range and accuracy potential. So I suspect it may be more of a specialized dense forest hunting cartridge, but I could be wrong.

What is best when dealing with elk, penetrating ability or expanding stopping power?

Do I want to put an emphasis on the heavier round that goes through brush better without getting knocked off track?

My instinct is that I'd probably rather have a better penetrating round for ensuring going through bone and puncturing of vital areas, especially with longer range shots, as opposed to an expanding or super heavy round that lacks penetration and range but transfers all it's energy into the target - But I don't know how the various rounds really compare in that regard to which is best penetrating.

I'm also curious how viable any AR15 based cartridge would be when it comes to moose hunting. Although it's a rare consideration due to the lottery system, it would be nice if I also had the option of being able to take that on if the opportunity presented itself. Do the dynamics of what you need in a cartridge change completely, because you need something that is longer range, hits harder, or penetrates bones better? Is an full sized rifle cartridge like 308/30-06/6.5 creedmor/etc the only viable route for Moose hunting, or would any cartridge deemed good for Elk be sufficient for Moose with proper shot placement? I've heard a lot about how strong their bones are, that you need something that penetrates well.
Does going with an AR15 platform drastically lower my effective engagement range against a moose compared with full sized calibers, or can proper ammo selection (ie, probably a round geared towards max penetration with a heavy grain weight and high velocity) have just as much reach?

I am not much help on the AR platform question because not many, (none), of the people I know hunt anything but varmints with it.
If you are comfortable with a cartridge for elk it will be good for moose.

I think the best all around cartridge for the Ar-15 platform is hands down the 6.5 Grendel.
It's a little under powered for elk though. But with shot placement and range restrictions of a couple hundred yards it will work.
My next choice would be the .450 Bushmaster.
It's a hitter under 150yrds, and becoming very popular. That makes ammo easier to grab.
But for the cost of the conversation, a good 30-06 in a bolt gun might be a smarter choice for your money.

None of those cartridges are ideal for Elk, I wouldn't stretch any of them much past 150 yards.

If you really want to hunt Elk and Moose effectively, buy a bolt gun in something .270 win or larger.

2a0fcsk.gif

I have a 50 Beowulf. Might be good for elk at 100 yards or closer. We built it to hunt hogs with in Texas. The military use them to shoot threw engine blocks at checkpoints. So they have stopping power. AR 10 in 308 might be a better choice for elk hunting with a black rifle.

I don't think any caliber on a 15 platform will be decent for elk. You definitely need to go to the 10 platform in a 6.5cm or 308 I have a 6.5cm set up that is a tack driver but weights 13.5 lbs with the scope and bipod. It's a joke as a gun to carry in the mtns. My lightest semi build in 308 was 10.5 lbs all in and cost $2600 in parts to get that light not including the scope.

You'd be way better off buying two. A cost effective bolt gun like a Ruger American in a decent caliber then a 15 platform of your choice for plinking and dogs. My RA 270 is an incredible gun for $300 new off the UGE classifieds. Put a used 5x20 Nikon scope on it and for $700 I was shooting 1 moa easy at 100 with factory core-lokt 150's and zero modifications.

Just my $0.02 after having built up a few semi's in a few different calibers.

Cheers,
Pete

I went with the .25-45 sharps for a couple reasons. All it requires is a different barrel, you use .223 mags and a .223 bolt. Get yourself a set of reloading dies and brass is as simple as necking up .223 brass in one step. With my 20" barrel I'm getting over 2.900fps with a 90 grain Sierra gameking.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom