Best archery elk hunting state?

Bikes

After another very early Utah archery elk season, I am considering moving to another state that has more favorable archery elk hunting. I don't need trophy hunting just decent hunting oportunity in the rut where you can hunt every year. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Colorado is probably the best public land archery elk state. They have mega elk in numbers so I think it would have to be CO.Lets hear from some CO residents...

Since I just shot my first bull Sunday night here in Colorado, I would have to say Colorado for opportunities to hunt EVERY year.

I think I have just bought my last archery elk tag in Utah. If they don't do something with the dates of the hunt, then I am going to start spending my money in Colorado or Idaho.

I am also leaving the state of Utah, until they change their dates for archery elk!! It was said best on another thread;
It is sad to have waited years to draw out and not even be able to hunt the rut!
Yeah, yeah, I know rifle hunters, I hear ya... "Well you chose your hunt." But really, if you honestly believe that rifle hunters should hunt during the rut, then your retarded! Even if archery hunters hunted the rut, it's still not easy! Easy is pulling a trigger from a couple hundred yards or so away! And please don't interpret that I'm against rifle hunters, I'm not! I'm against this state (DNR) for thinking the dates for rifle hunters should be during the PRIME rut!

See ya U-TARD!

Perhaps this is a bit off specific topic, but if you're comparing trophy hunt units for the ARCHERY hunt, I'll say that Arizona is hands down better than Utah. I say this because the Arizoana dates are superior to Utah's dates. When I was finishing up my Utah LE archery hunt, on the last day of the season in Utah, it was the opening day of the season in Arizona. With Arizona's dates, two weeks is plenty of season. Thankfully, I have 10 elk points going into Arizona's 2009 draw.

I would love to know also what is a good archery state for elk?
I love utah and their elk, but the dates are jacked. I have had 2 le tags on the last 3 years and the rut just gets started when the hunt ends. MOVE THE DATES PLEASE!! I will also try for and spend my money for elk in other states for now on, unless given a muzzle loader or rifle tag.

Colorado by far. We start august 30th and end on the 28th. Perfect timing and elk out the wazoooooooo. I have taken a bull with every year with my bow since i was 13. The key to colorado is just finding a solid area and get away from the roads and hunt your ass off because theres elk every where and they do talk unlike the ones in montana and wyoming where a bugle is dinner bell for wolves. Thats another plus to colorado, no wolves or grizz and its a for sure tag.

Ha ha ya forgot about them too. And it looks to be that Utah and Colorado are next. The wolves have really screwed things up in the northern elk states I have yet to meet a hunter from that area that likes the wolves.

If the Utah DWR would ever pull there heads out of there butts, the biologists would ever get out and really work and then change the hunt dates, Utah archery elk would be the best state.

But I'm with you on going to another state where the fish and game have there act together and know how to set up seasons correctly...

Arizona is not the easiest place to get a tag for Bulls even if you're a resident. Then you have to factor in that they moved the archery hunt up 9 days and in most units you're not actually hunting them when they are fully in the rut. They're in prerut and that can be a whole different ballgame. Just how many photo's of huge AZ archery elk did you see posted up this year? Very few and that's the reason! This years hunt started with a full moon and was 2 weeks before the rut. Hundreds of hunters didn't even see an elk this year and the bulls and cows were split up for quite a bit of the hunt in quite a few units. The hunts need to be moved back to the later timeframes for archers.

it used to be Utah until they came up with a plan to do state wide spike hunts.

they then had to cut tags on evey unit for branch antlered bulls because they kill 70% of every yearling bull. to top it all off they let you hunt state wide with no restrictions. this allowed every hunter in the state to come down to the southern unit and over crowd it.

Archery is a year round commitment!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom