Best binoculars for $300.00

C

coonhound40

I am a hunter on a budget, I would really like to have some good optics, however $1000 dollars is not in my budget.

The few I have been looking at:

1. Nikon Monarch 8 x 42
2. Cabela's WP 8 x 42
3. Pentax DCF HR II 8 x 42
4. Minox 8.5 x 42
5. ????

Does anyone have suggestions or input?

Thanks,
Coonhound

Coonhound, I'll have to say that I feel that the Minox's are an awesome pair of binoculars but I don't think you will find them for $300.00. But you will get close if you don't mind grey market warranty. The minox's are clear and great quality.
Also, the Pentax's are a really great pair. I was very surprised at how well they compare with high dollar optics. I cannot comment on the other name brands that you mentioned. Goodluck. fatrooster.

Thanks Fatrooster,

You are correct, the cheapest Minox I have found are about $380.00. I haven't looked through a set but have heard good things.

My hunting partner has a pair of 8 x 32 minox's and they are awesome. The eye relief cups are broken and his binocs are starting to fog up some so he's looking into the warranty deal. I'll have to let you know the results at a later date because to me warranty says everthing about the company. fatrooster.

I would suggest tasco bushnell something in the 50 dollar range use them for a couple of years save your pennys and get some high end binos. In two years your 300 dollar binoculars will be worth about the same as the 50 dollar pair and optically simular. I am serious I bought 8 sets of binoculars trying to get good optics with out spending the money well if you buy cheap crap thats what your going to get whether it be 300 dollar or 50 the quality is about the same crapola. I ended up with 8 sets of crapola binoculars my wife has a set my daughters all have a set there are binoculars in every vehicle I drive but when I scout or hunt I breaK Out the High End Binoculars. Leica

Found some 9x42 Steiner Safari's at Sierra Trading Post on sale/discount for $199. I have seen these binocs go for $400 in some stores. For the price they are decent glass and have the rubber coating.

Ed

Coonhound,

Try looking into Tasco EXP model. I bought a pair of 8 x 42 back in december and they are awesome. I compared them with the nikon's and leupold cascades. Didn't notice a difference except in price. The others ran between $250 - $340 a pair. I paid only $100.00 for my tasco exp's from cdnn sports. Check them out. Here is a little bit of info on the exp model.

http://cdnn.powerfulhosting.com/level.itml/icOid/2164

SPECIFICATIONS
Power X Size - 8 x 42mm
Field of view - 325' @ 1000yds 108m @ 1000m
Focus system - Centre
Prism type / Prism glass- Roof / BAK-4
Lens coating - Fully/multi-coated
Finish waterproof, - black rubber-armoured
Exit pupil- 5.2mm
Eye-cups - Pop-up eyecups
Weight - 22.2 oz
Class - Mid-size
Tripod adaptable - Tripod adaptable
Accessories - carrying pouch & neck strap
Japanese Quality!!
Covered by Tasco's No-Fault Limited Lifetime Warranty, these models contain fully multi-coated optics and BAK-4 prisms for superb light transmission, ensuring brighter, crisper viewing.
Tasco's Finest Binocular

The Pentax dcf wp are much better glass than the HR line.
I bought mine for around $325 "new" after the rebate at 17th street photo.
Also bought a pair of Swarovski 7x42 slc like new off ebay for $437, so you can get great glass for not much more. You just have to keep looking hard.

I did a lot of shoping and a lot of comparing for a set of $250 to $300 binos as a gift for my father. I ended up buying the Nikon Monarch ATB 10x42 and they are very good. I would definitely recommend them in this price range. Just about everybody lists them for $300, but if you keep an eye on eBay, you can get a brand new pair with warrantee from a dealer in New York for about $260.

Mark

Nikon Monarchs are one fine optic for the price range and they're lighter than the competition. Truly bright and clear. Also, friendly for the wearer of glasses. I don't leave home without 'em.

Shortmag

Good point about the eye relief. That is something I forgot to mention. My dad had all but given up on binoculars because of the difficulty he had using them with his glasses. With the long adjustment on the Monarch's eye relief that has not been an issue for him.

Mark

I just bought a pair of the Monarchs this weekend. I think they're great. Very light, easy to focus, and clear.

Thanks for all the input, I'm still not sure what I will end up with but this does help. I don't mind if you keep the feed back coming.

I have a pair of steiner 8x30 predators. I am on my second set and have had no problems with them. I shed hunt some very rough and steep country and a good pair of binoculars is not an option but a necessity. The most important thing to consider is how comfortable they will be in your hands and how they feel when you are looking through them, clarity is obviously important but if they are not comfortable you might as well send them back. The durable coating on steiner is awesome(mine have fallen/dropped alot) There are many reputable company's out there and the best idea may be to find someone local who has a large supply and test them out one by one. I am biased because I am afield every week putting mine through the paces and no pair of nikons, or others have ever lasted or take in as much light as steiners. Test before you buy and be happy with what you end up with :)

I own swaro's but will swear up and down on the pentax 10x42 dcf hrII. I have a couple of friends that own them and for the PRICE they cannot be beat. Go to yahoo and type them in the search engine. I found them for $219+tax with the U.S.A warranty. You will not be sorry " for the price"
H-25

Steiner 9x40 Bighorns are hard to beat for the money.
I picked mine up for about $200. Usually see them advertised
around $250.

I'm getting a pair of Pentax's for my wife.
For the dollar they are real tough to beat!
Suprisingly clear and bright.
HH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom