Best Camo Pattern For September Elk

L

leadshot49

My son and I are headed out on his first elk hunt Sept 13th. We are Non Resident hunters bring our Economic Stimulus money with us. So, being from Texas I do not know what camo pattern would be best for September in Central Northern Utah. Would like to pick the brains of some of the Elk experts and locals. Thanks in advance guys.....

Anything that's not dark!
(anything dark always turns "solid" at a distance)

Personally, i stay with sagebrush looking patterns in light gray and well broken up.
There are a lot of excellent patterns the market.

48288e6577d023b6.jpg

Well if youre road hunting does it really matter? Not implying that you guys will be. I just get a crack out of these road hunters in camo head to toe.

I prefer mossy oak sage or predator.

I think a lot of it has to do with exactly you plan to hunt.
Are you going to be high in the Alpine country with tall pines and Quakies. OR are you going to be down lower with the Junipers and sage brush.

Give us a little more info on your plans so we can help.

I have been looking at ASAT Camo for all around use and it looks pretty good. Does any one have any of that camo and can let us know about it.

Jeff

Just don't know the exacts on where we are hunting. My son will be guided by Courtney Richens. I will be trying to keep up and filming his hunt. In taliking with Courtney earlier I gathered we would be low, cedars, Junipers, sage...

How do you know for sure that they are road hunters? They just might be coming and going form their hunting spots?

If you are hunting with the Richins, then I beleive I know where you will be. I hunt near there in the same terrain and have always found the King's Desert Shadow camo to work great. There is sage down below and juniper/oak higher up. My second choice for this area is the King's Mountain Shadow Camo. Both work great and are very comfortable as well!

Good luck!!!!!

If it's a rifle hunt, don't forget the hunter orange. As far as I know it is still required on all rifle hunts even if it's not used on the Utah Hunting Videos.

Ummmmm..
If your hunt starts sept 13th then you have a LE rifle elk tag, and you are required to wear Orange. You need to have at a min.
I know alot of people have there rifle hunt pictures posted on here with out orange because it suposably looks better in the picture with camo instead of orange, but if you post a pic of your hunt with a rifle and there is no orange on the hunter, then you had better be preparred for the posts that will follow if you know what I mean.

As for camo, if you are going to be wearing camo and orange at the same time, camo depends on the terrain your going to be in.

Good luck on the hunt and post some pics when you your bull is down.

What unit did you draw?
DeadI/Jared
46e8aeb1660028c5.gif

Guys thanks for the input. My son drew a Youth Tag Statewide. It was a hard hunt, the bulls were not making much noise and about 10 days behind schedule. I will say our Guide Courtney Richens stayed on it every day and my son went home a happy camper with a mature 5 x 5 on the sixth day. No talk of quiting. Camo Patterns in the desert variety were good. We bought several. One which was from home is a south texas pattern and it was good as well. To all of you that gave input thank you. Your state was wonderful as well as the people.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom