Best chance at buck or bull?

coalminer

Hey guys I'm getting ready to head up to Rexburg for school in April and had a few questions I thought some of you might be able to help me out with. I will still be considered a non resident come fall so I wont have the funds on my tight student, newly married budget to hunt both bucks and bulls this year so my question is this... Do I have a better chance killing a bull or a buck in that part of the state? I love to archery hunt but cant pass up a chance to chase something with a rifle also so either weapon will do. Not looking to smoke something huge, just a respectable buck or bull. I love to scout so I'm not really looking for a specific spot, but more so on info of what species I would have the best shot at. Any info is appreciated. I have a lifetime of experience in Utah as well if anyone needs any help. Thanks....

I'd say a buck. With the dogs loose, bulls are harder to come by.

Lots of competition from all the other BYU-Idaho hunters that have moved into Rexburg in the last few years. Good luck.

It all depends on which type of country you want to hunt as well and which area...if you are wanting to hunt everyday and close to campus there is much competition but if you are willing to take some time off and spend a few days away from rexburg...you can whack both...send me a pm when it comes closer to you getting here and ill give you what I know...what you gonna study?

Thanks for the info guys, I will be studying Ag Business. I am pumped to move to Idaho, have always wanted to and plan on staying for a long time....

Coalminer...you'll like idaho, especially the area around where you are headed. I grew up in Idaho Falls and now live with my wife a few miles from there. Tons of country, fun adventures, lots of fishing and hunting close....couldnt ask for a better place(but thats just me) You'll learn Rexburg real quick...so if you need a hand on moving and stuff, let me know (send me a pm and i'll give you my info) The ag bus program is good...took a few classes in the program myself but graduated with a BS in construction management. Hope you enjoy Idaho and let us know if you need some help.

Thanks trlrtrsh, yeah i am really excited. my parents moved to Idaho Falls about three years ago and i have loved going to visit, especially the fishing. I'll hit you up when i get up there, thanks for the help.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-25-09 AT 07:18PM (MST)[p]Where are you coming from? I'm a student here too. I know a kid who killed a 204 buck this last year up here. But don't get your hopes up too high, there is a lot of pressure and low deer densities mostly. I'm hunting Utah this year if that tells you anything. Are you summer/fall?

Hey Coues Im actually coming from BYU Provo because they ended the AG Business program here. My application is in and I am hoping to get winter/summer track but we will see. Yeah I went with my dad last year deer hunting up there around Palisades, nothing serious, saw a few deer but nothing to get crazy about. I am on the Dedicated Hunter program here in Utah so I will hunt in Utah as well. I just love getting out and stompin the hills so not too worried about slaying a monster this year, but at least there are a few gagger bucks still out there somewhere. Just wondering if alot of students or others for that matter hunt up around Swan Valley or Driggs area, looks like pretty sweet country on Google Earth. What region in Utah are you hunting and what weapon?

Hunting Swan Valley.. with all those people, you'd be crazy. That place is nuts come hunting season. Sighting in their rifles in the canyons.. dirtbikes, four wheelers on every ridge.. no thanks. I would never hunt that area, never. Google earth is beyond deceaving.
I use to work for the Forest Service up their grubbing trail. I know every canyon, drainage up their. Its pretty.. but over crowded and noisy. Expensive too. Tom Seleck lives up their along with Mel Gibson, Harrison Ford, and Okra, I mean Oprah.
I'll take the real Cowboy Seleck.. the rest, na. He runs a cattle ranch in Swan Valley.
Pretty country, but only good for sight seeing and pictures. Goat hunting is ok. I've seen alot of them up their.

I would have to agree with BBB...definitely is pretty country but insane come hunting season. I have hunted there a few times and have seen plenty of game, but I honestly couldnt tell you one exact spot to plop down and watch for bucks/bulls...this is open country and the elk can travel as much as thirty miles a day (usually during rifle) depending on the pressure...and without horses, your only kidding yourself if you are going to chase them down on foot. I beleive that Swan Valley is the palisades unit, and palisades is the tex creek unit...it has been one of the top units in the past...but usually when the public hears of a unit with lots of animals...everyone in the state of idaho thinks their unit is terrible and flocks to that spot...this has been done in both these areas about every other year...plus, with highway 26 running through the middle, and highway 31 has easy offshoot roads...the hunting is about 10 minutes and your in buck/bull country from just about Shelley all the way to Rexburg..,75% road hunters...24% new comers...1% successful, dedicated hikers. Sorry if this is a bummer, but being new from Utah...I would hate for you to be disappointed your first year living in Idaho. Have you ever whitetail hunted before?

Thanks for all the help guys. I would love to hunt whitetails, never have before but would really enjoy it. My question would be do I have to buy a whitetail tag or can I shoot a muley or whitetail on the same tag? I cant stand to road hunt so I am wondering where I could get off the roads and find a quality animal even if it requires miles on foot. Also do you guys think I could have some success with my bow in the Tex Creek area for elk before the rifle crowds hit? Once again you guys have been a great help. I have tried to figure out how to PM some of you but I must be doing something wrong so feel free to shoot me a PM with an info. Thanks guys...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom