Best Cleaning Solvent

J

jamaro

Hi Everybody
Just a quick question... Are Oil based cleaning solvents not good to use in ML's... I am kinda confused on this one...I have read that Oil Based solvents can ruin a seasoned barrel??? But if I am using Sabots or Powerbelts does this matter???
Also, rather than spending money on special cleaning solvents would regular dishwashing liquid do?
thanks
j-dawg

You don't say what kind of ml you are using, but since you are or want to shoot sabots or Powerbelts, I'll assume inline (corect me if I'm wrong).
The best solvent is water. I strip my inlines down and run hot water down the barrel (I use a funnel). I run the water down until it is too hot to hold. Then it's a simple matter of using some T/C #13 solvent to get any thing the water missed. When using sabots, I'll use CVA's Sabot Solvent. I also don't buy the whole seasoning thing. Use a good quality oil and snap a couple caps then dry swab the barrel to remove most of the remaining oil. Dish washing liquid mixed with water will work. Sidelock shooters use it. It's just nice to have solvent moistened patches ready for use. I use them for swabing at the range and when cleaning at the end of the day. Also solvent works well in a camp where there is no hot water.

runningwolf.gif

Jamaro:

Try Windex. It works great. I learned that tip from someone on this forum (Bluelk I think) a while ago and have been using it ever since.

Horniac

The two b4 me pretty much nailed it. Dish detergent and hot water works great. The oil based lubes are reported to cause some bad reactions with black powder and pyrodex, the newer substitutes I can't comment on.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Check out my black powder site at:
www.angelfire.com/home/oldguns

Seasoned barrels become unseasoned barrels when petroleum oils are dispensed over them. Bore butters and wonder lubes all provide better bullet velocities and reduce friction, but when it comes to storing the rifle, replace with non-inhibiting seasoning agents with a good quality oil.

What is the best cleaning solvent?
http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/Store/ProductDetail.aspx?p=1404

Sometimes we're the dog -- sometimes we're the fire hydrant.

Dishsoap & water.
Murphy's Oil Soap & water.
Ballistol & water.
Straight ballistol.
Moose milk.
Simplegreen.
Whatever!

It all works as long as you do your part, but for a real dirty gun I usually start with dishsoap & water, then finish with straight Ballistol. I've been using Ballistol as a final lube/rust preventor for the past year and have been real pleased.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom