Best CO Sheep Units

cbeard

Very Active Member
Ok guys I now have my 3 points so this is the first year I will actually have a chance to draw a tag in CO. Please tell me the best 2 or 3 units. Thanks!

Clay

DON'T get impatient and put in for a sub-par unit just so you can get a tag like I did. Are you an archery or rifle hunter? Res or non res? I believe it was Stryker who let the cat out of the bag about unit 61. 34,50 and 51 are good. Look through the horn data on the CDOW website and start looking on the RMBS forum. You're still a ways off from getting a tag, but never too early to start scouting.

Yes, you have a shot with just 3 points. I think a guy who posts on here drew with 3 points & either 0 or 1 weighted points. He drew S15. I would look & see which unit gives you the best chance. Any ram is a good one-----they all have a couple dandies.. CB

LAST EDITED ON Mar-17-09 AT 04:25PM (MST)[p]I think the best unit is the one you have a tag for! I drew S-15 last year with 3 weighted points. The harvest report/horn measurement stats came out yesterday and it looks like 3 sheep were taken out of the unit. For some reason the stats make it seem like 1 guy didn't hunt since the harvest percentage is listed as 75%-and 5 tags were issued. Somehow there was a unit with 200% ram harvest, I don't know how that happens? Anyways, just because the Huntin Fool claims a unit isn't very good does not mean you shouldn't apply. When I applied my philosiphy was-I would rather get to hunt sheep at some point in my life, in a unit that is obtainable, than think I can beat 1:300 odds and probably never hunt sheep. If you want your name in a book next to a number I wouldn't apply for S-15 since I don't think that unit has ever produced a B&C ram. If you want a great experience, memories, and a nice ram on the wall I bet just about any unit will fit the bill.

Looks like someone turned a tag back in. Not sure what up with the 200%. I know a guy that drew a sheep tag, I helped him scout one weekend and he turned in the tag. I was sick to my stomach for three months.

Not to change the subject. But ? what's up with 26 (taylor) are there any sheep left in that unit? I held a big heavy set of horns out of that unit. I know it was on the decline before the bad winter put the final nail in the coffin. What a shame?

NDhunter...you may have posted it before, how did your hunt turn out?

Clay,
Don't put in for S25. The DOW is content to let the lions pick them all off. Sometimes I don't understand the way they handle things.
JC

Ramtagless-everything turned out great. I shot a great ram on the first day. He is the 2nd sheep for S-15 listed on the data sheet that the DOW posted the other day. The only "negative" thing I could say is I wish it would have lasted longer. But then again I could have hunted the whole season and never had an opportunity, so I won't complain.

S26 (Taylor) and S70 (Fossil Ridge) were closed this year as there was a major die-off. There are still sheep left but it will be some years before they are huntable again. S26 grows rams with huge bases and has produced many B&C rams over the years. Check out www.bighornsheep.org to learn more about CO sheep units.

The 200% harvest would be the unit that the Gov Tag Sheep was killed in. I don't know that for sure but that makes sense to me. JC

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom