Best Colorado Elk unit for me?

JeremyKS

Im a NR with 2 points for Colorado elk. Im planning for 2010 and would like to find the best unit for trophy elk 300+ that I can draw with my 2 points. I can hunt archery, muzzleloader or rifle. Any help or direction would be great.
Thanks
Jeremy Gugelmeyer

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-09 AT 08:11PM (MST)[p]That is a tall order! You don't have anywhere close to points needed to draw a premium or even good unit. There are 300 bulls in probably every unit, but the odds of you seeing one on your first trip is slim to none. Don't set you sights too high. Any legal elk is a trophy! I have hunted Colorado for years and hunt some good areas, and some years we have trouble even seeing an elk!

You might need to consider a private land hunt if that kind of bull is a necessity, and even then you would have to be very lucky. Even a fully outfitted hunt, if they are honest, won't give you high odds of taking a 300+ bull.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

2 points doesn't guarantee a general muzzleloader tag anymore. I would suggest bowhunting an OTC unit that you kind of like for this upcoming season and learn the lay of the land. Once you have enough points, draw the muzzleloader tag and use the knowledge you learned from the year before.

This was a first year bull on an CO OTC tag and it goes over 300 so it can be done with a little work.

4a7cf8cc796ae20a.jpg

Units 66 and 67 have a good number of elk with some decent mature bulls. 300 type bulls come off those units each year and it is a great horseback hunt both units have some great high country.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Go over the top of the Sangre's into Cleveland Gulch up at the very top of the ridge and there is usually a 300 bull or two there. If not there, in the side canyons on the south side of lower Sand creek. Its so freakin nasty that even posting this on the internet for everyone to see, you will have it to yourself. You won't find any quad-riding puh-cees in there for sure.

I've gotta go with TxH58 on this one: Private land hunt, or a wilderness area, packing in on horseback. Good luck!

Colo_archer

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom