Best Compact Spotter

bigbull1

Very Active Member
Any opinions on the Nikon Fieldscope 50mm,13-30x weighing around 16oz or the Brunton Eterna 50mm,18-38x which weighs around 24oz. Both have ED glass. Looking to go light(er) next year on spike hunts.

Ed

Ed, We just took the new Nikon 50ED with us to Kodiak to do a field test and it is quite remarkable. Small, light, and really sharp out to the edges. Nice color resolution too. The focus wheel is smooth but not sloppy. Very impressive overall.
-----------------------------------------------------------------
This was posted on another hunting site by one of the guys that was with me in Kodiak ...
1] LIGHT, LIGHT, LIGHT! Oh, what a joy to have a quality spotting scope that weighs less than a pound! This is a sheep-hunter's dream come true! I think this is one spotting scope that will make it to guys' packs as often as intended when purchased.

2] Optically, very, very good. It's no secret Nikon knows how to make good glass, so no surprises here. Certainly, this spotter will not compete with 60mm and 80mm objective class glass head-to-head, but, it's not intended to. At the end of the day, this glass has more than enough horses to get the job done in places where your 3 pound spotter would not have been included.

3] Small. So small, it will fit in your pack in places you'd put a water bottle
-----------------------------------------------------------------
We are offering them on our Specials List @ $599.99 with the Nikon #7771 13-30x zoom eyepiece and Nikon includes a case with the scope.

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]
www.cameralandny.com

It uses the same eyepieces as the Fieldscopes, which is relatively small in diameter

If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
212-753-5128
[email protected]

You guys likely will laugh at me, but for BACKPACKING I use a soviet made Yukon 20-50 x 50 I got on ebay for $50 bucks. I figured what the heck if it's trash, I'll eat the $50 bucks and buy somthing better, that was 4 years ago. It's a 50mm variable range scope. I have used it for four years now, and it works well because it's handy and it's light and it's easy to use, and it's clear.

I cant say it's the best compact, it likly is not, but I've not used them all, so I cant say. However, I do know good optics and good glass and there is a purpose for everything. I do not skimp on my optics and most of you can attenst that I'm the guy always tell you to spend more money, as much as you can, on glass.

Well this time is different. This little, light weight scope fits the bill for me, and like I said, I'm a little picky when it comes to good glass.

I'd say for the $50 bucks I spent on it, its been a great investiment. and If i ever break it, or lose it, so what, I'll buy another one. so far, it's worked great, and at the end of the day, it's as good as my other, more expensive scopes because I take it with me, and I use it, and I treat it like it's a cheap scope - or better yet, like the tool it is! If I go trough one every 5 years, that's only 200 bucks in the rest of my hard core hunting life!

Keep in mind, I'm not using it to glass all day for deer, I'm using it to get a better, closer and more accurate reading of the animals I've spotted with my glasses. I would not use it for glassing all day long, but that said, it's BETTER than any of the cheaper models out there that you cant glass all day long throught either, even the other compacts like the burris, and the nikons, and the cabelas, and the taskos, and the leupolds are not made to stare through all day long.

Still, I'd buy it again. Got it on ebay, it's called the Yukon and it's the 50mm Yukon, made it russia, I believe. I saw one on there recently for a buy it now price of $50 bucks. I'd say unless you plan to make it your primary scope, it's a good bet. PS, Ive never had it fog up either.

The Yukon 50mm was my first scope and I did not like it. I have a pretty good stigmatism and don't know if that matters. It seem between the ocular being small, and the field of view small, I had a tough time finding game for a closer look after spotting with the binos.

I will check out the Nikon 50, Brunton 50 and the new Leupold Gold ring 15-30x 50 at the shows this winter.

Ed

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom