Best deer/elk Units????????

Califelkslayer

Long Time Member
OK, I struck out in Wyoming, Utah and Nevada. Already decided to do a general elk hunt in Idaho if I didn't draw elsewhere but since I'm going to buy the license anyways, I might as well apply for controlled hunts. Got a week to decide.

So I was thinking about Unit 11 for elk

And 40 for deer

Any suggestions??? I'm like 0-15 on the unit 40 draw. Have never applied for 11 before.

Thanks for any input.

Nothing wrong with 11. Lots of elk and sometimes a few nice ones. Can get busy with other hunts going on depending on your season. Limited motorized access.

Thanks. I have horses so the less motorized access, the better.
Gotta beat those 1-17 draw odds anyways so I'm not holding my breathe.

I did it last night. 40 for deer and 11 for early elk. With 5% and 7% draw odds respectfully it looks like I finally get to hunt with a couple of friends in a general area. Seems every year I have something else (another tag) going on and can't go. Should be fun.

If I had horses Unit 40 would be the last place I would hunt.You say less motorized boy do you have a surprise coming.More ATV and Road hunter you'll ever seen.

The surprising thing about young fools is how many survive to become old fools.

Swampy, I don't usually use the horses for deer hunts. 40 late has been a dream of mine since "92" when they shut that hunt down for a few years.

PS; Thanks for the PMs guys.

I hunted 40 last year and only ran into two other deer hunters in 6 days of hunting. Saw a couple of elk hunters on atvs and that was about it. Beats the 1000 hunters that hunt 66 here in WY...

BBB, How were the results of your hunt last year? Just wondering, still trying to narrow my unit to put in for. Haven't been in 40 since they shut it down. Would love to go back.

I shot a buck right at 180. He was the best buck I saw. I think the 2pt hunt is hurting the area. I saw a lot of small bucks hanging with what I thought were hot doe's. The elk hunters I spoke to hadn't seen any big bucks and the one deer hunter I spoke with had been there two weeks and said the biggest buck they had seen was 25". I'll put in again, but my expectations are going to be less than what they were last time...

A friend of mine was in there last year on the elk hunt with his son. He said about the same thing, saw a monster buck next to a road two days in a row just prior to the deer opener. Other than that he said he saw a few 4 points in the same 25"-26" range.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom