Best DIY,Pack In Hunting Bow

dancermatt

Well I've decided to join the dark side and start bow hunting. My only experience with a bow is as a teen with a 45lb Bear recurve. My goal is to do either pack in or DIY hunts for 5 to 10 days so wieght and reliability is important. I just tried a PSE Sinister at Bass Pro and liked the weight and feel but concerned about how "forgiving" it might or might not be. I have a 26.5" draw and was able to pull bow set at 70lb. I am of strong upper body stregth and have good shooting skills and control so I'm looking for more then a "beginer" bow. Something I can keep and master over the next 3 to 4 years or??? I would also appreciate what rest, quiver, staibalizer, release, are best for hunting conditions. Thank you in advance for any advice you can give this fast learning beginer. Matt

I don't think you can beat a recurve for reliability and weight.

But if you are going with a compound, anything that you shoot well is going to work for you. The Sinister is short at 28" ATA, but still has a brace height of 7 1/4" which makes it forgiving. Its pretty light at 3.9 lbs and is pretty affordable.

There are a multitude of options for each and every accessory. To me, it comes down to what you want and how much you want to spend. There are good products of each in every price range. I would go with a drop away rest for sure.

First thing I would do is figure out your budget, and then go from there.

I like to pack into areas. I have a PSE bow madness. It is very short axle to axle but it still has good brace height. It is a very forgiving bow for me anyway. I use a trophy taker rest and true glow sight. I also use a Scott release. I would suggest shooting several bows at a good pro shop and get what you like. There is alot of good equipment out there these days. Good luck you might be sorry. Its very addiciting.

Thanks to the both of you. I know what a tough or "Impossible" question it was to answer and it's been asked before which I'll look up past posts. I'm going to an Archery shop here in Vegas this week to check out some new and used bows. I appreciate the advice and am leaning to a compound bow and researching all the different Rests, Sights, releases. I'm looking forward to getting back into shooting a bow. I had the best time when I was a kid shooting my Bear 45lb recurve. Thanks again, Matt

hoyt carbon matrix is super light, lightest and toughest bow you can get.....

The Mathews Heli-M Bow is light, 3.5 lbs bare bow. Right now I shoot a Diamond Outlaw, nice and light, and great bow. But if money is not an issue the Mathews Heli-m bow is excellent and one of the best bows out right now. You can set it up with an AXT Archers Extreme Sight - Primal XD, Set it up with a Ultra HDX Fall Away rest; Axion Stabilizer - 7.5 oz - 5" GLZ Gridlock Stabilizer, Arrows- Easton, Gold Tip, or Carbon Express, Release- Scott, TruFire
Just go to an Archery shop and shoot a few bows: Hoyt, Mathews, Bowtech, Diamond, and the list goes on. You'll find they look similar in many ways but the feel is different for all of them. Get what feels comfortable to you. Read reviews from experts and pros for what they use.

You may find that short and light bows are hard to shoot accurately. I know I do. A few more ounces/inches is something I am always willing to carry given the fact that it increases the chance I'll actually hit what I am aiming at.

Yeah, a little light bow seems great for pack in hunts, but how great will it be if after a week in the backcountry and all the effort invested, that whippy little bow results in a miss?

My advice is to buy a bow you shoot best, period.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-12 AT 10:43PM (MST)[p]I'm with BigPig as well. I draw 29 1/4" and find that bows under 32" ata are not near as accurate for me. I like 32 to 33" ata bows. You won't find this bow around town but the HCA Speedpro is a very good bow at 3.5lbs. Spotthogg 7 pin sight, ripcord rest, ultralight 4 arrow quiver, 8 oz stabilizer and it all comes to 5 1/4 lbs. However, my recurve is a third of that, its also a takedown.

Wow...I realy do appreciate all the suggestions for bows/equipment and oppinions. I'm going to visit two archery stores this week and try some shorter and longer bows. As far as wieght, I'll just have to get in better shape if I choose a bow with an extra pound. I'm 5-10, 200 lbs, strong, and pull 26.5" per the guy at Bass Pro Shop when he measure me. Any suggestions for a "medium" lenght bow, or "meduium" weight that might work? I can't wait to start practicing and planning a DIY or Drop Camp/OTC Elk Hunt in Beautiful Co.

I would go with what ever bow shoots best for you. You might be able to shave 1/2 a pound or so by going with one bow vs another, but if you can't hit what your aiming at what is the point.

I would suggest trying to cut weight in accessories but not the bow itself.

Take out more than you brought in!

Athens Ibex is a good lightweight bow. Here is a review

Athens Archery Field Staff
SOP Hunting Gear Staff (PM me for a nice MM discount on Horn Hunter and Tarantula products)

Thank you both for more advice. I tried a used Hoyt/Ultralight today and liked it but am going to try a few more before making up my mind. It was comofortable and very accurate/consistant. I'm looking forward to shooting again and doing a back pack hunt in Nevada and beautiful Colorado.

>The PSE your suggesting has some
>impressive numbers for sure. I'm
>goig to check it out.
>Sounds expensive?

$899 retail for new.

I would look at the bowtech insanity cpxl, especially with your short draw length, they have a 35 ata and 7" brace height, one smooth fast bow.

Ok, here's what I did. My brother inlaw gave me his bow which is a: Hoyt XT2000. Quick Tune by Nap Rest. Saunders Torque Tamer Dampener. BSA Red Dot Scope/Sight and no peep sight. I will be hunting Colorado, Nevada, Utah, Idaho so I'm not sure if the red dot is going to work well for me. He has it set for 20 yards since he hunts deer in Michigan from a stand and corn crops. I would appreciate your oppinion as to the best rests,release, sights,arrow, broad heads. I'm going to have the bow tuned, new strings, and take some coaching and start pracicing. "Perfect practice, makes perfect." I know that this information is on the sight so thanks for any information you can provide.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-09-13 AT 10:19PM (MST)[p]IMO, I would dump that sight, you might want to shoot 50 to 60 yards if you get good enough. I prefer Spothogg sights with a wrap myself.

As far as arrows and heads, I have no idea what your draw length is? Or what weight the bow is? or what model xt2000 it is?

Here's what I have now-
1. My brohter in laws bow - Hoyt XT2000 Ultra Elite
2. Rip Chord Rest - new
3. Optix G5 with floating Pin Knob
4. Beaman Arrors Hunter 8.4 GPI
Just had news strings, paper tuned at Pacific Archary here in Vegas.
I've taken a private lesson and have been practicing and adjusting sights. It's shooting very nice at 58lbs. I understand it can go up to 70lbs.
First practice session at 20yds had group the size of a soft ball. Looking forward to shooting golf ball size groups.
The bow is much lighter now with red dot scope off there. You were right about accessories being the culpret as to weight.
I've learned allready that it's important to check all the work done by technicians, tighten nuts, etc. Also, with the new strings, I had to re-adjust the rip-chord string that drops the rest. Thanks for advice...I'm going to take a picture of my bow and post it. Its a good looking set up.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom