Best draw year?

iccyman001

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-16 AT 12:25PM (MST)[p]While we are waiting, we may as well talk about something to pass time.

What was your best draw year ever? Were you successful?
Has anyone ever drawn every single tag?

My best year was last year.
Elk, mule deer and oryx.

I was able to fill 2 of my 3 tags.

Last year is my best of 3 years trying. Oryx and Mule deer and I tagged out. I'm hoping this is the year I finally draw elk.

Last year was my best year for draw by far. I drew three deer tags, two elk tags, and a desert bighorn sheep tag. And yes I drew for every single tag I put in for! I only was only successful with one deer tag and the sheep tag. The other deer and elk tags I never even entered the unit to hunt because I was busy chasing a big buck with another tag.

We're non-residents and we were drawn for 2b muzzle loader mule deer in 2010. No deer were taken among four of us. In 2011 were were drawn for 2nd rifle mule deer 2b. Two of the three of us filled a tag. Then the allocations changed and we didn't get drawn in 2012 or 2013. In 2014 we decided if we wanted to hunt our best chance was 2b muzzle loader deer. We were drawn, but out of three of us no one shot a deer. We put back in for rifle hunts in 2015 and were unsuccessful. We will probably bust again this year. So 2011 was our high water mark. The residents can have the 84% I just wish the outfitter pool would be combined with the diy pool.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-16 AT 02:02PM (MST)[p]4 or 5 years ago I drew bow Ibex, bow 16D (3rd) Elk,unit 16 Rifle Antelope,OIL Oryx and 2B bow deer--shot everyone except bow Ibex

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-16
>AT 02:02?PM (MST)

>
>4 or 5 years ago I
>drew bow Ibex, bow 16D
>(3rd) Elk,unit 16 Rifle Antelope,OIL
>Oryx and 2B bow deer--shot
>everyone except bow Ibex

Geez! Nice!!!!

"Best Draw Year" in New Mexico????......I've yet to have one of those!!!

I Put in for everything every year and hope and pray I draw one hunt. If I get two I feel like I hit the million dollar lotto.

Two times I've not draw anything!! If the military "Back Door" is correct, it looks like this year will be #3 with no tags.

TRC

I don't have any recent draw stories, good or bad. In 1998, I drew resident bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and limited elk in Colorado. I had just moved back to Albuquerque and started a new job a couple months prior. Didn't get to hunt anything. OTOH, in NM in 1993, I drew elk in Unit 5, deer in Unit 2, and a rifle ibex tag, and filled all three.

>I don't have any recent draw
>stories, good or bad.
>In 1998, I drew resident
>bighorn sheep, mountain goat, and
>limited elk in Colorado.
>I had just moved back
>to Albuquerque and started a
>new job a couple months
>prior. Didn't get to
>hunt anything. OTOH, in
>NM in 1993, I drew
>elk in Unit 5, deer
>in Unit 2, and a
>rifle ibex tag, and filled
>all three.

You drew bighorn sheep and didn't go? That haunts you in your dreams I'm sure!

'11 drew elk, deer, ibex, oryx
'13 drew elk , deer, ibex, antelope, Barbary sheep
'15 drew elk deer, ibex, Barbary
Kinda of a tie for all those yrs.

>'11 drew elk, deer, ibex, oryx
>
>'13 drew elk , deer, ibex,
>antelope, Barbary sheep
>'15 drew elk deer, ibex, Barbary
>
>Kinda of a tie for all
>those yrs.

Can I attach to Ibex with you :D

98 hands down! OIL Oryx, Valle Vidal bull,speed goat, 2-B deer and that was all I put in for in NM. That year I killed desert biggie and Couse in Mexico and went nuts shooting free rangs exotics on the ranch in Texas. Needless to say Imperial Taxidermy obtained most of my income in 99!

I don't necessarily have a "best" year, but I gotta say I have been blessed!! I have been drawn for both elk and deer for the past 22 years straight! The past 5 years have really been great since we have hunted the Gila every year and have taken some big animals! Hoping for year 6 this year!!

>Not a best year...but I drew
>bull 16B 3 years in
>a row during my first
>tour here.

I'd say that's pretty awesome.

Thinking about it 2016's draw will be amazing! Unit 15 for elk, 2-C for deer,big horn on the Pecos,a chupacabra in the Guadalupe's, a Sasquach in the Sandia's,a couple Lobos and a grizzly in the Gila, an alligator in Cochiti, damn they need to hurry up and announce the draw I'm getting delirious!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-21-16 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]>
>I'd say that's pretty awesome.

I would agree. If the military "back door" was legit, I'm now 4 for 4 on elk draws. This year looks like a cow tag...which I am equally grateful about. Also looking like my first successful oryx draw...which I either pulled the premo hunt or one of the Mil only hunts. Put in for some nice deer units too...can't wait to see which one I hit. New Mexico has been good to me, glad to be back.

2011 was the Holy Grail for me.......

New Mexico:
50/52 muzzy antelope for my son and I
16D Rifle elk 1st season
youth ibex for my son

Colorado:
76 Archery elk for my dad and I
471 early rifle deer for my son
17G mountain goat (with only 2 points)

All of these tags drawn as a NR in both states.
And to top it off I was between major projects so got to take 5 weeks off from work. It was fantastic.

Last year was easily my best, I drew first choice deer and elk(archery) and antelope rifle !!!! Three for three

For me it was last year...16D 1st season archery both the wife and I, Bighorn Ewe in the Latirs, Oryx at McGregor, and Muzz deer in 33. Tagged everything but the deer and was very close to tagging a very nice buck but my allergies got the best of me and I scared him off at 30 yds.

Last year I drew 6 tags out of 8 applications here in NM, I didn't draw oryx and bighorn tags. I tagged out on antelope, elk, deer and Barbary. Bow ibex I should have tagged out but passed on the shot opurtunity. And for my javilina tag I didn't even make it over to the Western part of the state to even try.

2013 I turned 50 and put in for everything, usually I just put in for a HD elk tag. I drew a Gila mule deer and WSMR Rhodes Canyon Oryx. Spent a month out there, took my two German Shorthaired Pointers and quail hunted between the deer and oryx hunts. Killed a nice muley on the Continental Divide and a 36" Oryx on Sunday 1PM (high pressure crunch time)on the oryx hunt. Enjoy the hots spring at T or C after a long day quail hunting. Pure paradise.

We have always had pretty good draws. This year, little worried no more youth hunters in the family. Got a few things going in other states, so should be decent year even if NM is cruel.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom