Best elk hunt for The Old Man??

BrowningRage

Long Time Member
My dad turned 69 last month. He's been chasing an Early Rifle Bull hunt for 18 years and he's decided he'd better draw a tag before he's too old to get around. So, he's jumping ship for a sure thing this year. He's got 18 points and we have a few hunts we think would be good. One concern I have is what road access looks like for some of them. He's good to hike a few miles round trip, but knee replacements aren't much fun after that.

Here's a few hunts he is considering:
Early Rifle- Fishlake
Early Rifle- Diamond Mtn
Early Rifle- La Sal, La Sal
Early Rifle- Wasatch

There's about 8 decent Muzzy hunts he could draw with 18 points that seem to "be worth his points", we're probably most interested in the Book Cliffs muzzy as we know the unit due to many years of deer hunting there... One thing though, my dad will only shoot his .54 Hawkin. Its Jeremiah Johnson or bust for him if he's using a muzzy.

I'd love to just hear some thoughts on different hunts that he'd have a chance at a good bull. PM me if you'd like. I know there's tons of you with solid opinions... Thanks guys.!

Jason

Pretty much cross any early rifle tag off the list with the redistribution of permits this year. That and the 5 day hunt make them much less desirable. Manti mid or muzz would be pretty high up my list, but I’d swing for a lucky shot and pick one of beaver, Boulder, or San Juan and see if you could get luck on a mid season rifle on one of those.

Berry is correct, early rifle tag allotment is dropping from 30%+ of tags to 10% so mark those off your list. Go Mid season or better yet Muzzy on one of the middle tiered age group units. I think muzzy would be a better experience.

It will be interesting when draw results and point data are publicized. Maybe the opposite will happen and many hunters will move away from early rifle hunts. However, I agree with Berrysblaster. With that many points muzzy Boulder would be my play. Perhaps because I know that unit well.

I might be able to talk him into a new Muzzy. He has two, 54 cal Hawkins and has killed multiple deer with them over the years. I know he loves the tradition of it though... and calling in a rutting bull within range of such a firearm is very appealing... ??

When my Dad was in his late 60's he did a CWMU and we had elk going most every single day.

He got his Bull Moose and his 6 x 6 off the same CWMU.

Different years of course.

I'll toss ya a PM

Robb

CWMU could be an option, but man, with that many points, I like to hold all the cards on my hunts. Some CWMU's are better than others with scouting and the hunt, but for me personally, not having freedom of scouting and hunting when I want to are a deal breaker for me.

I would definitely urge him to shoot a more modern muzzleloader and go muzzy. Truthfully, he could get it done with a Hawken as well assuming he is proficient out to 100-125 yards, but never hurts to have the extra range and proficiency if/when you need it. On my LE muzz hunt, I had a modern muzzy but we got in on my bull by slipping in quietly to him and his herd of cows while he bugled his guts out. Shot him at less than 70 yards, so a Hawken would have been just fine on that hunt! ;)

Another good idea that Berry mentioned is to try for an upper tier unit on the mid-rifle hunt this year. With the change in allocations, it may just be a good year to snag a great tag going that way.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom