Best Energy Food

hikenhunt

What do you find to be the best energy foods for a long day of hunting or shed collecting ? I have not yet found a really good approach for those long days - usually 6,500 to 8,500 altitude ?

I'm 55 and in pretty good shape.

Hi hikenhunt,

I usually eat a pretty clean diet, low sugar, low fat, stay away from processed food/fast food. But when it comes to the outdoors, I throw out any idea of eating right and pack on the calories.

I always seem to go back to the PBJ sandwiches, cheap, easy to prepare and pack relatively ok, by that I mean they squish into any area of the pack or pocket.

I've also used mil surplus MREs, they are designed to be consumed during high exertion, physical activities. They do have a lot of fat though, which I assume is where a lot of the energy in the meals comes from. .

Also, don't forget the electrolytes. Very important if you are sweating a lot. Salty snacks or supplements. Either one.

Last but most important is water and plenty of it.

I stay away from the power bars and energy snacks you find in all the stores. They are usually laden with processed sugars or sugar substitutes and I do not rely on them for sustaining energy. But, I do have one in my pack. If I'm really exhausted and there's one more climb to make it out, I'll down that with lots of water. Just to give a little burst to the finish line.

I'm not saying this is the ultimate answer, just what I find works for me.

Merry Christmas, hope the holidays are being good to you,

Jim

Thanks for the responses. The info helps me with some of my issues. I seem to go up and down the energy ladder too much during a day. That's why I mentioned energy sustaining.

What do you guys think of electrolyte drinks like gatorade ???

About 1/2 way through the day all those pasty energy bars and such just don't do it for me any more. I physically can't eat any more of those things without getting sick.

My favorite food for huge days is a flour tortilla with thin sliced ham, swiss cheese and a smear of Dijon mustard rolled up and cut into bite size chunks. Just stick a few in a ziplock bag. You would not believe how tasty they are after a whole day on the mountain.

Learned this trick years ago from some buddies who did ultra marathon running and I used it for the first time when I did the Logan to Jackson bike race. Like they said, after 8 hours on the bike I was sick of all the energy drinks, bars and gu. There's nothing like some tangy "real" food when you need it most :)

Cheers,
Pete

I pretty much lived on Cliff bars this fall on my backcountry elk hunt. They were great for energy kept up my calories, but man I was sick of them.

archeryguru.com

Roger that on the Cliff bars. When you start feeling sick before you start eating the bar you know there's something wrong !

I can't even think of downing another Cliff bar.

Were you successful on your Elk hunt ???

The WA bars and gels gave me the trots! That organic stuff goes strait through me!

I like whole wheat bagels with peanut butter, jerky, trail mix, crunchy granola bars, and Snicker bars :)

can anyone say peanut butter and baccon stuffed into a honney wheat bagal

they sound gross but they are good especially if you put extra baccon on them.

4a7d1f93337c7fd7.jpg

Archery is a year round commitment!!

One thing I found as a great treat is Brats. During the summer I freeze my hydration bladder and put a sealed package of Brats next to my frozen water. Then I build a little fire and get a stick and have some great food. Bring a few mustard packets from the gas staion and your good to go.

I ues the Honey Stinger protein bars and energy bars. They taste great. They use Honey as the sweetener which is a natural energy booster. The protein bars taste like a candy bar. I like the Dark Chocolate Cherry or the Peanut Butter. My favorite energy bars are the Peanut Butter and the Banana Berry.

Once again thanks to all that have replied there has been a lot of good information and ideas expressed - I will be trying an assortment of the recommendations in a few months shed hunting.

I love Clif Bars! There are a few flavors that I really like, several that I would never eat again! Great energy boost though. I also try to keep some cheese and crackers to provide the salt that you crave after a while.

I have the best luck with a my own trail mix. Almonds, and or peanuts, raisins, M&M's. Grab a handful now and then keeps me going all day.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-10 AT 07:39AM (MST)[p]Trail mix is my #1 go to food outdoors. I also use the PBJ and bannas if it's a long day. You also can't go wrong with jerky, love the jerky. Lots of water.

+1 on the peanut butter and bacon on bagels. I also like to add a little honey to them.

I've started dehidrating some fruits and am starting to like that. My favorite is probably apples.....taste good and can fit a few apples into a small zip lock bag.....weighs next to nothing.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom