Best factory ammo

hunter03

I am looking for the best factory load for a 300 win mag that I can find for an upcoming elk hunt this fall. I have looked at the Remington Scirocco 180 grains as well as the 200 grain a-frame by Remington. Anyone have any experience with these two bullets, or any other factory loads that have worked well. thanks

If I was going to use factory loads I'd go with Federal premiums in the 180 gr TSX or Partition. there are lots of great factory loads these days but those are hard to beat.

I wouldn't go with any 200 gr myself, you give up too much velocity to gain 20 grains you don't need anyway.

I have used the A-frame since they came out for a .270 & .300 win mag. I like the .270 version but the .300 version is so so, drops quickly, and does not seem all that accurate. Tried it with more than one riflle.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-10-08 AT 06:57PM (MST)[p]I will second Dude's selection for Federal Premium. The 180 gr. Partition has always given me groups of 1 inch or less in 4-5 rifles in 300 Win. Mag. that I have tried them in.
As for performance, the Partitions have proven themselfs for over 25 years in the field.

RELH

Before I handloaded, I used Federal Premium also. There are more bullets available in the line-up these days than when I used factory ammo. Use the one that shoots best. Federal is good stuff. mtmuley

Federal has a good selection. Choose from the 180 Partition, Accubond, TSX, MRX, Trophy Bonded, Scirocco- whatever shoots well.

Don't worry about the bullet, and go practice your shooting in field positions with hundreds of rounds once you are sighted in.

RR

You got some good advice on here. I concurr with the Federal premium rec. They have an excellent selection of premium quality bullets that will do the job for you just find the load that works good in your gun. The 180's will do the job.

Awesome guys, thanks for the information and your input. looks like a lot of guys like the Federal factory ammo. I will give it a try and see how it shoots out my gun. Once again thanks for the help

LAST EDITED ON Jun-11-08 AT 08:08PM (MST)[p]I'd use the one that shoots the best out of your rifle, provided its a quality bullet. I use 200 grain bullet in the 300H&H as they drop only an inch or two more as the range extends. The bigger BC of the longer bullet helps to compensate for the lower velocities. I've used 180s too, the 200s just groups a little better in my rifle.

The best factory ammo for someone isn't necessarily going to be the best for your rifle. The "best" factory ammo is going to be one that shoots well in your gun but also has the bullet performance that you need. I'd suggest getting a few different brands and shooting them to see which one shoots the best in your gun.

THE BEST I HAVE FOUND IS THE FEDERAL PREMIUM VITAL SHOK...GOOD STUFF.....I QUIT HANDLOADING AFTER 26 YEARS....ITS THAT GOOD....YD.