Best factory off the shelf long range rifle & caliber

bjn7f0

I'm in the market for a new long range rifle. Now I know there are lot's of good custom gun makers out there but if a guy wanted to get a good long range gun off the shelf what do you recommend, caliber & make/model?

I'm a fan of the 300 Win. Mag because of the versatility for various game animals. Savage makes some very accurate rifles but so do Browing A-Bolt, Remington Model 700, & Winchester Model 70 & others.

So in your experience what do you think is the best long range factory rifle & caliber?

I'd agree with that, but if you like 30 magnums you wouldn't be wrong.

You didn't say what you want to spend, if you like off the shelf in a higher price range I've seen a couple new Coopers that are absolute tack drivers.

Stay thirsty my friends

Savage Long Range Hunter. You can buy it in either 7mm or 300wm. I have a LRH in 6.5X284 and it is a tack driver.

Weatherby Accumark 30-378, I think they are $1600 bare rifle now. Mine was and still is less than an inch 200 yds with Weatherby factory loads, You would be better served to get the 300 mag as the ammo is less than the 30-378 by quite a bit.
BB

LAST EDITED ON Oct-29-12 AT 12:59PM (MST)[p]I would say the 30 378 or just a little behind it the 300 rum. But you can shoot long range with a 308. It just depends on what you are doing punching paper or hunting elk ?
If useing a turret it is just dailed in to your round. But with a faster flatter round. You will get more out of the turn of your dail. A 30 mm tube will help or even the new 35 mm tube that Vortex has out.

Big John T, you mentioned the 30 378 caliber and I would like to know what the 378 means. I understand that the 30 represents a .30 caliber bullet. Has someone flaired the neck of a .30 to .378"? Need a little bit of 'educating.' Thanks, Cow Tag

It's a 378 Weatherby that has been necked down to a 30 caliber bullet. In the early 80's I believe it was a wildcat. Then pick up later by Weatherby and now sold over the counter.

+1 on the weatherby rifle. love my accumark in 30-378. as far as caliber i love the weatherby rounds. learn to reload though because ammo can be 100+ dollars a box

The .30-378 cartridge probably has a sizable KICK to it? How would you compare its kick to the Winchester .338 cartridge? Thanks. Cow Tag

I can't speak for the kick without a muzzle break but my Accumark with the brake kicks similar to a 270 or less. I can say for sure it kicks one hell of a lot less than my Remington 7MM mag
BB

I have a CZ550 Ultimate Hunting Rifle in 300 win mag. Comes with a 600 yd MOA accuracy guarantee. From what I have seen that number holds true. Nice looking gun as well with the single set trigger.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom