BEST GAS CADDY ?????

AZMIGHTYMULIES

Any of you guys/gals store gas ??? What do you recommend ? Metal or plastic gas drums or Totes ? I'm looking to store at least 200 + gallons !!! Let's face the facts, right now gas on average is close to $3.00 a gallon . Due to supplies being cut off to China and everywhere from the 5th largest oil producer in the world (Iran) , and likely war w/ Iran, Gas is predicted to hit in excess of $5.00 a gallon by summer !! Get gas cheaper while you can and if you're able.
I've never stored 200+ gallons of gas ever, it's kind of a scary thought . So some insight from those who are experienced in storing gas what do you recommend ? Best storage Totes/containers , safety , accessibility , draining etc . Thanks .

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-12 AT 06:09PM (MST)[p]What you suggest sounds like a real good plan, but don't do it. I was a Motor Fuels Quality Investigator for the last 15 years of my 30+ year career with the Michigan Department of Agriculture. What most people that aren't involved with that industry don't realize is that fuel is blended with various components to be used at certain times of the year based on the temperatures when it will be used. An example is that you would not want to store a lot of gasoline in the winter or summer months to be used at the opposite time of the year. The reason being that it is produced to have a certain volatility at certain temperatures. A given amount is actually heated in a machine that measures levels that have to be within a certain range until all of the sample is burned off and it has to meet the criteria for certain months of the year when it is intended for use. Right now the gas produced for the cold months is much more volatile for cold temperatures so that a vehicle will start more easily. It's just the opposite for gas produced for the summer months when it's hot and the low temperature evaporation rate is much higher. The end result is that you will experience poor engine performance and probably less miles per gallon than using gas blended for a certain range of temperatures for that particular time of the year. Even though you might think that wholesalers store gasoline for many months in those large tanks you might see, the actual turnover in one of those tanks is normally less than a month or two with new shipments being piped in on at least a weekly or possibly biweekly basis. I hope this helps with your decision.

Thanks TOPGUN... I did not take that all into consideration, but you make a great point and something to think of . What other alternatives do I have then, not to many huh ? Maybe a conversion kit to go w/ natural gas maybe ??? would maybe help in the long run , but not an alternative for my ATV's . HMMMM .

LAST EDITED ON Feb-18-12 AT 09:07PM (MST)[p]Propane and natural gas for vehicles were just really starting to be marketed in the 90s as my career was winding down. In fact, I helped develop the method of sale that is used in most states for retail sale into vehicles while involved as a State Representative for Michigan in conjunction with the National Weights & Measures Conference. I don't know about out west, but up here natural gas pretty well ran it's course and wasn't accepted as a replacement, just as the metric system that the Feds pushed so hard was not accepted as a replacement for our system of weights & measures. If you have stations in your area that sell natural gas for vehicles it would probably pay you back the cost of retrofitting engines if you keep your vehicles for a decent length of time. The fuel is very clean burning and generally vehicle costs are as good or better than liquid gas powered engines. With the volatility of the gasoline market prices nowadays and our dependence on outside sources, it may be cost beneficial to go the natural gas route, but probably only if you have a fleet of vehicles. One would probably not produce the payback to make it beneficial for all that's involved.

Im no expert, but if you have Diesel vehicles; you could to a Bio-Diesel conversion. That way, you could make your own fuel out of waste cooking oil from Fatty-Food restaurants and there are conversion kits that are relatively reasonably priced and make a decent amount of fuel.

Alot, if not most of those Fatty-Food places; will give the used oil away for free or a small fee and also store them in 50 gallon drums (though I am not sure of expiration issues with oil in those drums and how soon you would need to convert to bio).

?-ERock-> ?

****Alot, if not most of those Fatty-Food places; will give the used oil away for free or a small fee and also store them in 50 gallon drums (though I am not sure of expiration issues with oil in those drums and how soon you would need to convert to bio).*****

not true any more it has become a good business for the FATTY FOOD places to sell the old cooking oils, Now they have crooks who steal it from unlocked tanks from behind the places.
They even have small tankers that pick up the oils, like once a month.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

We had a CNG Suburban. It was more of a pain in the butt than anything. You can't put a big tank in your car (10 gallons or so) and when there's a lot of business, the pressure is low so it's hard to pump. But, it is nice to only pay a dollar per gallon!

Unfortunately, what you mentioned about CNG and tank size was one of the two big reasons it didn't catch on. The other is that the stations just did not want to invest in the huge expense for the facility required to sell it. It requires above ground equipment that is extremely expensive compared to the USTs that store liquid gas sight unseen with no extra square footage needed on the property itself like CNG does. Just the last fact alone rules it out for the vast majority of stations because they are usually squeezed for space to begin with.

Damn...Well there goes my thought on the "Fatty-Food" benefits. That sure didn't take too long, but not a big surprise; thanks for the info GATOR.

Guess your better figure out the Solar Solution...LOL or better yet...Invest in some Horses?? Sheesh this (lack of) economy is getting to all of us..

?-ERock-> ?

Azmm where in arizona are you located what top gin was saying about the different blends is true but some of las vegas facilities do not blend all of there gas for winter months so if your getting fuel from a distributer that buys from vegas and if your far enough south that yoy dont get much of a winter you are probably ok

CNG and LNG will soon become HUGE! It is a very growing market in the Transportation Industry and with the more infrastructure that gets put in place you will soon see over the road trucks have it.

It is in all truck running containers in and out of the Ports, Garbage trucks are starting to run it almost elusively in areas like Southern California. Companies like Cummins Westport and Clean Energy (Boone Pickens Company) will soon have enough locations that you will see it BOOM!!!!

Trust me...in the next 10 years you will see LNG and CNG engines available in everything from a tiny commuter car to the Largest Diesel truck. Especially in the Seaboard communities!

Yep, The company I work for is into this big time. We are turning our Garbage trucks over to CNG. Last I heard we where running about 600 trucks last year. We run over 30,000 trucks a day on the road so it will pay off in the long run. They are even taking methane from the landfills now and converting into CNG and running the trucks with it. Lower emissions, lower fuel costs and working to be self sufficient.

I believe if you read my comments you will see that I mentioned that it can be profitable to use it in fleets. The only way that very many invidual home vehicles will use it is if they can come up with new sites all over that are convenient to get to. That will be especially difficult in large city areas because of the above ground space needed for a CNG refilling site. Making a decision to use it in fleets IMHO is quite different from getting the general public to buy into it.

There is in the works a home filling station where you will be able to plug into your homes natural gas line to fill your vehicle up.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I completely forgot about that particular concept that they had started working on for individual homes. If that took off at a decent price, that could be the way to really get individuals into the CNG market and would be cool!!!

Our town is researching into ways of incorporating this as a service to the community. Just wait for uncle sam to get his fingers on this baby though and tax the ever living hell outta it.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

I saw on Jim Cramer's show Friday that a company has partenered with Ford and Ford is comming out with natural gas in the f-150 in the 2nd quarter of this year. Going to check it out. Three m is also working with someone to make a light weight tank for natural gas, this would be a big step in the right direction. A lot of the cost is the tank.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom